Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

My food is pretty much the same fare it's been for two years now.  I just steer clear of preservatives and processed foods and I don't notice any correlation between food and symptoms.  Now STRESS and symptoms...that's a different story.

Sofa

Lapis,

You are correct.  You get an "A" for the day. 

The correction will be made.

Sofa

Woohoo! Thank you, Sofa! I'm still hoping we can get travel points towards our trip to Oz.  ;D  In the meantime, we'll go back to our peedoodle/lettuce/cabbage-head assignment. It's more fun than what I was doing most of the day (moping, crying, limping, etc.).

P.S. Did you see my post to you last evening? I'm not sure if you dropped by again after I wrote it. Anyway, I hope so.  :-*

There's no reason that I can find for the changes in intensity. When I'm stressed, it can be calm...and when I'm calm, it can be rough. I've tried noting what foods I ate when it's bad, but there's no correlation that I can point to with certainly. A lady I found who has a mental health blog, and has had this symptom for seven years, said rice was a trigger for her...

She woke up with hers, after a period of acute anxiety. Could be a case of "spontaneous MdDS". Who can say for sure, eh? She tried a benzo after to help her sleep... It pooped out, and getting off it made the floating worse, but is now back to "normal". Anyhoo.

Hey Shook, can you share that link please, I'd be interested in reading it.  Thanks.

I found it 9 long months ago after much searching. Don't have a link to share. It was a kind of BB for "floaters", with lots of scared ppl posting "what the hell is this?" and "I'm scared". Not much advice as I recall, except the lady saying to not fight the feeling and learn to desensitize yourself to it. After seven years, it's almost become normal to her. Some ppl claimed Lyme Disease as the cause, or malfunctioning dopamine receptors, etc, etc, etc. All anecdotal of course. We should have some hard facts in about 75 years. Sit tight!

Lapis,

I just read your post.  I love you, Lapis.  Your gentle compassion for everyone is a life lesson we all should adopt.  Living our lives never judging others.  Lifting others up in the midst of our own pain and suffering.  You are a role model for me.

I know you are having a very rough withdrawal, Lapis.  I also know it will end, as it has for thousands before us.  Very soon, your 8s will reduce to consistent 7s.  After that, the 7s will start breaking up throughout the day, giving you you periods of 5s and 6s.  Next, those 5s and 6s will morph into days of 3s and 4s strung together consecutively.  You will feel relief you never thought would arrive.  Your pain will be manageable.  Your dizziness will be a slight haze in your day, broken up into small sessions with many hours of enough peace to take little walks, breathe in the fresh air and feel the sunshine on your face.  With your days down to blips of 1s and 2s, you will pull out your bike and polish it.  You'll climb on it one morning, when you barely feel the dizziness at all, and you will ride.

Mark my words, Lapis.  Watch your journey play out just like this.  It is not far away.  It is within your field of vision.  It will then be within your grasp.  And as soon as it is, Lapis, you will grab on to the handlebars and ride.

Please believe me.  Your life will be beautiful...every day...every moment.  I know this.

Love you, Lapis

[c5...]

There's no reason that I can find for the changes in intensity. When I'm stressed, it can be calm...and when I'm calm, it can be rough. I've tried noting what foods I ate when it's bad, but there's no correlation that I can point to with certainly. A lady I found who has a mental health blog, and has had this symptom for seven years, said rice was a trigger for her...

She woke up with hers, after a period of acute anxiety. Could be a case of "spontaneous MdDS". Who can say for sure, eh? She tried a benzo after to help her sleep... It pooped out, and getting off it made the floating worse, but is now back to "normal". Anyhoo.

Hey Shook, can you share that link please, I'd be interested in reading it.  Thanks.

Lapsy, glad to hear you're not at an 8 today, really hoping a nice, long string of 6's is right around the corner for you. 

2200, same as you, food makes absolutely no difference but mine, being as unique as it is, the undulating is softer when my muscles are less tense.  Have you tried to notice whether there's any correlation with anxiety?

:smitten:

abcd,When I first went into withdrawal,I would have sworn food made a difference,but as time went by,I really don't notice food making my anxiety worse.I went back and forth these past 3 years thinking coffee and chocolate were maybe making it amp up a bit,but as time went by,that just wasn't the case.If I were to go from moderation on these two things and start to drink like 4 cups of coffee instead of 2,then I would get overly hyper from the caffeine.But even stopping them both for a time,didn't stop the anxiety,so I started to have them again,as they are two of my favorites!

Coffee seems to be a mild anti-depressant for me,since going through the withdrawal symptoms that get me a little down everyday.It's something to look forward to every morning!

But with two cups a day,it's not making me more anxious.Other food doesn't seem to make a difference either.If I'm headed towards a bad wave during the day,it just comes anyway.I sometimes even eat some things with MSG in them.I love Cheetos! :smitten:

I'm guessing it is the chemical imbalance jumping around in our brains/ bodies as they are healing,that gives us the ups and downs?

I know this sounds so old fashioned,but I swear eating normal balanced meals and not over thinking what food I eat,I actually feel less stress in general.The good food/bad food concerns can make you crazy during this! :)

Lapis,

I just read your post.  I love you, Lapis.  Your gentle compassion for everyone is a life lesson we all should adopt.  Living our lives never judging others.  Lifting others up in the midst of our own pain and suffering.  You are a role model for me.

I know you are having a very rough withdrawal, Lapis.  I also know it will end, as it has for thousands before us.  Very soon, your 8s will reduce to consistent 7s.  After that, the 7s will start breaking up throughout the day, giving you you periods of 5s and 6s.  Next, those 5s and 6s will morph into days of 3s and 4s strung together consecutively.  You will feel relief you never thought would arrive.  Your pain will be manageable.  Your dizziness will be a slight haze in your day, broken up into small sessions with many hours of enough peace to take little walks, breathe in the fresh air and feel the sunshine on your face.  With your days down to blips of 1s and 2s, you will pull out your bike and polish it.  You'll climb on it one morning, when you barely feel the dizziness at all, and you will ride.

Mark my words, Lapis.  Watch your journey play out just like this.  It is not far away.  It is within your field of vision.  It will then be within your grasp.  And as soon as it is, Lapis, you will grab on to the handlebars and ride.

Please believe me.  Your life will be beautiful...every day...every moment.  I know this.

Love you, Lapis

Dearest Sofa,

What a lovely, lovely note! Thank you so much.  I will try....I will really try to hang onto the hope that what you're saying will come true for me soon. It's been a particularly brutal bunch of weeks, and this weekend has been a doozy (the dizzy dame is having a doozy of a day -- um, how do I spell "doozy"?!). Suffice to say, the image of me hopping on my bike and going for a long ride sounds wonderful. Actually, I'm hoping that instead of the gradual change that some people get, I will get one of those "Poof! It's gone!" scenarios, where I wake up, and my head is clear, and I just leave the dizziness in the dust.

Thank you again for being a part of this wild and wacky -- probably quite weary -- group of travellers lost at sea. If we're going to be lost, it's good to be lost together.

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Much love to you and all here,

Lapis

Here's the latest in a long line of studies about falls caused by benzodiazepines. This one is from Taiwan. Although the abstract doesn't mention dizziness, the full study does, so it's good to see the reference to what precedes the fall. People don't just fall all of a sudden. They're dizzy, then they fall. If that's not mentioned in a study, then the dizziness doesn't get recorded in the literature, and it's under-reported. This study found that, in seniors, even small doses of benzodiazepines (both long AND short half-life types) and Z-drugs increase the risk of fall-related injuries.

The title of this study is "Association of benzodiazepine and Z-drug use with the risk of hospitalisation for fall-related injuries among older people: a nationwide nested case–control study in Taiwan".

"Falls are common in older people and are the second leading cause of accidental or unintentional deaths worldwide [1]. Approximately 28%–35% of people aged 65 years and older fall each year [2], and a study found that fall-related trauma accounts for 5.3% of all hospitalisations in this age range [3]. The risk of falls is multifactorial, and medications are modifiable extrinsic risk factors [4, 5]. Meta-analyses and systematic reviews have reported that some classes of medications, such as benzodiazepines (BZDs), increase the risk of falls in older people [6, 7, 8]."

"BZDs are among the most prescribed psychotropic medications, especially in older people [9]. Because BZDs can be used as sedatives and hypnotics, they can cause problems as dependence and abuse [10] besides the side effects of dizziness, drowsiness, and coordination impairment. Moreover, after controlling the confounding factors, several studies have reported that BZDs independently increase the risk of accidents such as falls [11, 12], hip fractures [13, 14], and motor vehicle accidents [15]. However, data on whether different characteristics (as exposure duration, daily dose, and elimination half-life) lead to different risks are inconsistent. A study reported that the use of long-acting BZDs increases the risk of falls [16], whereas other studies have reported that the use of short-acting BZDs also increases this risk [17, 18]. In addition, another study indicated that dosage contributes more to the risk of falls than elimination half-life [19]."

https://bmcgeriatr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12877-017-0530-4

abcd,When I first went into withdrawal,I would have sworn food made a difference,but as time went by,I really don't notice food making my anxiety worse.I went back and forth these past 3 years thinking coffee and chocolate were maybe making it amp up a bit,but as time went by,that just wasn't the case.If I were to go from moderation on these two things and start to drink like 4 cups of coffee instead of 2,then I would get overly hyper from the caffeine.But even stopping them both for a time,didn't stop the anxiety,so I started to have them again,as they are two of my favorites!

Coffee seems to be a mild anti-depressant for me,since going through the withdrawal symptoms that get me a little down everyday.It's something to look forward to every morning!

But with two cups a day,it's not making me more anxious.Other food doesn't seem to make a difference either.If I'm headed towards a bad wave during the day,it just comes anyway.I sometimes even eat some things with MSG in them.I love Cheetos! :smitten:

I'm guessing it is the chemical imbalance jumping around in our brains/ bodies as they are healing,that gives us the ups and downs?

I know this sounds so old fashioned,but I swear eating normal balanced meals and not over thinking what food I eat,I actually feel less stress in general.The good food/bad food concerns can make you crazy during this! :)

You're right about causing ourselves added stress by obsessing over food and every little thing. It's all part of the fun... You eat that chocolate, 2200, and chase it down with caffeinated coffee!! And go to bed with a cheese dust moustache! You go girlfriend!  :thumbsup:

But thanks to my experimentation phase, I'm eating better overall. No more fast food. It actually turns me off now, and I feel bloated and just not well when I do happen to eat some.

OMG! You like to bake, right? You gotta create a pastry or some cute little dessert called a "peedoodle" and start selling it at state fairs! I'm sure you'll make a mint! I'll take 20% of sales and franchising rights.

What do you think Lapis? Peedoodles could outsell Beaver Tails at the Canadian National Exhibition! lol

[c5...]

bump

(Shook works furiously to pump out the water and keep the leaky vessel afloat...)

You having a rough day Shook?

[c5...]

No, just amusing myself, but thanks for asking. lol

How about you? Swatting the frogs away with a broom?

Just a couple of them!How did you know I swept my porch today? ;D

Two little guys to sweep around on the porch,but the herd is tapering after about 3 weeks of the frog planet!

This does get better Shook.I felt really lousy this morning,but helped my husband wash the cars.This afternoon,brain cleared a lot,and I did some yard work.The off balance stuff was there,and some breathing stuff,stamina isn't back yet, but much lighter.I felt almost normal.I don't tell you this to make you feel worse,but so you see it does start to break apart and leave.Stay strong and stubborn.

It is a very awesome freedom feeling.Your turn is coming. :)

Thumbs up to that, 2200  :thumbsup:.  I remember my very first week here I nearly stopped eating oatmeal cos of glutamate.  Huh?!  :-\  Researched the heck out of what foods not to eat during "withdrawal", omfg hilarious, and read a gazillion studies, etc., and thought to myself, surely this can't be real life.  Holy Moly, what the peedoodles!  :laugh:  I'd read one other person say they still ate oatmeal. and from that day onwards, I knew to use my own head and my own body, and not get caught up in everyone else's stuff.

Can't go wrong with coffee and chocolate, can we?  Coffee flavored truffles, yummm!  And do you like tiramisu, my mostest favoritist dessert of all time.  You know what's strange, I can have easily 6 or more large cups of coffee (and/or tea) per day, including ten minutes before bedtime, doesn't affect my sleep in any way, shape or form.  Often, I'll have a mocha right before bedtime.  8)

I found it 9 long months ago after much searching. Don't have a link to share. It was a kind of BB for "floaters", with lots of scared ppl posting "what the hell is this?" and "I'm scared". Not much advice as I recall, except the lady saying to not fight the feeling and learn to desensitize yourself to it. After seven years, it's almost become normal to her. Some ppl claimed Lyme Disease as the cause, or malfunctioning dopamine receptors, etc, etc, etc. All anecdotal of course. We should have some hard facts in about 75 years. Sit tight!

No prob, Shook, cos I also posted a link here to some woman's blog, sounds familiar, might be the same one.  The comments were also very interesting, if I recall there were one or two posters also feeling that their symptoms might be neck related.  I'm always on the lookout for myself, particularly (as everyone already knows  ::)), the pulsating variety.

How was your hiatus?  :laugh::crazy: Couldn't stay away from us for too long now, could you, hmmm?  :P>:D

Thanks, abcd. Nice to see you again!  :-*

?

Hugs and love, Lapsy.  Hoping, hoping today hasn't been too awful for you and bring on those sixes already, bring 'em on!

You had to be a tough guy to join the Lollipop Guild!

Omigosh, Shook, it's all your fault! I watched this Lollipop Guild thing, and then I watched how the actors who played the Munchkins were given a star in Hollywood, and then the Youtube sidebar had a video on "Where are they now?" with the "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" kids, and that's where I got stuck. Oh nooooo! I had to stop watching it so that I could finish one of the other things I'd started. Well, of course I have to finish watching it tonight. I need to know what happened to Augustus Gloop, and Mike Teevee, and Veruca, and Violet, and our hero, Charlie Bucket. I loved Gene Wilder too!

I have a strong feeling that my particular symptom will disappear one day the same way it came: suddenly and unexpectedly. I don't believe it'll fade then disappear, or there will be "windows" along the way. Not even convinced it was the benzo, for that matter.

Glad you had an overall productive day! Washing cars, enjoying the summer weather, and sweeping peedoodle-hoppers off your porch (you don't need to know how I knew that)...

abcd,

I think we saw the same blog. There's not a wealth of info out there on this floating craziness.

Now that you mention it, I remember her saying that neck and shoulder position can affect the "floating". Not for me though.

As for my hiatus, it was all a play for your attention... But you knew that.  :-*

Lapis2 (still would like to know what happened to Lapis1),

YouTube is a foul enchantress and will waste your day if you let her...

On the other hand, now I know that the Oz munchkins had orgies on the set... Hmm. It makes sense. I mean how often did munchkins congregate like that?

And Gene Wilder's the only Willy Wonka. Forget that Tim Burton/Johnny Depp abomination.

Hey Shook,

First of all, I can't say that watching what happened to the five "Willy Wonka" kids was a waste. As a matter of fact, I found it rather touching. Augustus Gloop's English has much improved since he was in the movie, so we were able to find out what it was really like for him to fall into cold and dirty water numerous times for the filming of the chocolate river scene. And how the two girls had a "thing" for Peter, the boy who played Charlie. And so much more.

Secondly, Lapis1 had a short life after just plain ol' Lapis when I was first trying to set up my account here on BB. I only ever wanted to be Lapis.....

Finally, I hope your symptom disappears suddenly too. I think it would be fantastic for all of us to just wake up and have it gone, just as our peedoodles have gone. If our dizziness goes, I'm guessing that our peedoodles will return. But only time will tell.

:)

I'd be very interested if anyone finds their rocking/swaying gets worse after a bowel movement/when straining at all?

The question is whether it gets worse and stays worse, or whether it's a transient thing. If it's a transient thing, it can be related to holding one's breath or a temporary increase in tension or blood pressure.

I have a strong feeling that my particular symptom will disappear one day the same way it came: suddenly and unexpectedly. I don't believe it'll fade then disappear, or there will be "windows" along the way. Not even convinced it was the benzo, for that matter.

Are you still having some doubts, Shook, even though your gut instinct was to quickly updose?  Yours came full blast suddenly and unexpectedly?  Mine was very mild initially and progressively became stronger and stronger and moved to my head as well, that one's a real killer! :tickedoff:  I was already so ill at the time of onset though, with the muscle issues and pain in full flare, and generally feeling so very unwell, that I could hardly give it the attention it deserved.  It took a couple of months before I really started the doctor hopping and a good couple of years later before I clued into maybe it was the benzo and immediately started tapering.  :-[

abcd,

I think we saw the same blog. There's not a wealth of info out there on this floating craziness.

Now that you mention it, I remember her saying that neck and shoulder position can affect the "floating". Not for me though.

As for my hiatus, it was all a play for your attention... But you knew that.  :-*

Not a wealth of info in terms of causes, but soooo many others searching for answers.  I relate more to the descriptions of those posting on the cardiovascular forums, except I've been checked over thoroughly.  I'm still probably going to discuss the possibility of a CT angiogram with my doctor.  From my reading, it can image finer details than is possible with MRA.  The downside of course is the radiation.

The question is whether it gets worse and stays worse, or whether it's a transient thing. If it's a transient thing, it can be related to holding one's breath or a temporary increase in tension or blood pressure.

It lasts about a day or 2

It lasts about a day or 2

In my case, there's no related activity or event that precedes an increase in dizziness. Mine usually changes sometime during the night. For instance, yesterday was a 7 all day, but I woke up today with an 8 level of dizziness. There's no rhyme or reason to it. I wish there was!

IrishMonkey, have you noticed any changes in how you're feeling recently? Any improvements? I hope you're doing okay.  :)

[c5...]

Thumbs up to that, 2200  :thumbsup:.  I remember my very first week here I nearly stopped eating oatmeal cos of glutamate.  Huh?!  :-\  Researched the heck out of what foods not to eat during "withdrawal", omfg hilarious, and read a gazillion studies, etc., and thought to myself, surely this can't be real life.  Holy Moly, what the peedoodles!  :laugh:  I'd read one other person say they still ate oatmeal. and from that day onwards, I knew to use my own head and my own body, and not get caught up in everyone else's stuff.

Can't go wrong with coffee and chocolate, can we?  Coffee flavored truffles, yummm!  And do you like tiramisu, my mostest favoritist dessert of all time.  You know what's strange, I can have easily 6 or more large cups of coffee (and/or tea) per day, including ten minutes before bedtime, doesn't affect my sleep in any way, shape or form.  Often, I'll have a mocha right before bedtime.  8)

No prob, Shook, cos I also posted a link here to some woman's blog, sounds familiar, might be the same one.  The comments were also very interesting, if I recall there were one or two posters also feeling that their symptoms might be neck related.  I'm always on the lookout for myself, particularly (as everyone already knows  ::)), the pulsating variety.

How was your hiatus?  :laugh::crazy: Couldn't stay away from us for too long now, could you, hmmm?  :P>:D

Thanks, abcd. Nice to see you again!  :-*

?

Hugs and love, Lapsy.  Hoping, hoping today hasn't been too awful for you and bring on those sixes already, bring 'em on!

abcd,My dad was that way too,where he could drink coffee all day,right up to bedtime,and he could sleep like a baby!He loved coffee,and some of my happiest memories of him were meeting for coffee and talking.He always told me such great stories of years ago.I always think about him when I have coffee. :)

You know,I have never has Tiramisu!

I read where all these studies that say this food is bad and this is good.Then it changes and they say the opposite.It makes me crazy! I think it all comes down to food is food,and it's good to use common sense,moderation,and listen to cravings your body is giving you.I think there is a biological feed back in us,that wouldn't let us eat candy bars every day all day without wanting variety and start craving a variety of foods with the all nutrients we need.

I noticed whenever I would go into a health food store(,forgive me for saying this,I don't want to sound mean!)the people who worked there didn't look so good.Sort of like the more they get into and monitor their health,the sicker they get.

I think sometimes we over think food and make it a stressor,instead of enjoyable. :)

abcd I agree,I think we have to just use our own heads and sail our own ships!Our peedoodles are in enough of a bunch without more stuff to worry about! :laugh:

How are you doing today Lapis? :smitten: