Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Quotes, Poems, Phrases, Images

[4a...]

PD i know your a Lady of the country so like myself i know you have this all around you like i do so we may take things for granted like the Eagles i see every day right from where i am sitting now !So to all thank you for sharing all you have shared it means so much ~Huggs ~CD

CD,

I feel very blessed that I have come to the place in my life that I can truly say that I don't take these things for granted anymore.  I appreciate so much growing up in the country and now living in the country and the peace it gives me.  I see deer almost every day either in my yard or close by; they are beauty and grace in action.  I'm not a big water person, although I do love spending some time on the lake occasionally.  I'm more of a tree and forest person.  ;)  I think where we grow up and what we did as children has a big impact in that regard.  I enjoy hearing about your escapes on the water because I know how much you love it.  :)

PD  :smitten:

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Fl...]

• [...]

• [sn...]

• [ca...]

Top Posters In This Topic

You have put me in mind of my "tomboy" days!  :laugh: We girls used to have mud ball battles with the boys over forts we'd build in the woods. I remember us making mud balls to prepare for battle and take over the fort. I remember running through the forest barefoot, no less, and slinging those balls! What simple days those were.... :)

http://homeschoolersavvy.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/05/img_7661_2.jpg

Ingrid!

I love that you shared about your tomboy days!   

Mud ball battles!   

Yes, forts!!!  Absolutely had forgotten about the forts.

I remember taking silverware out of the house and using it to dig in the mud!

Oh, my gosh!

What amazing times! 

Such joy in such simple things.

Hugs for you, my friend.

Love, Ins 

Ins and ingrid,

I love this!  I was barefoot all summer long when I was growing up.  I got many honey bee stings because of it too, but it didn't deter me!  :laugh:  I can also remember walking through the cow pasture and purposely stepping in the cow pies so it would ooze between my toes.  :o  I hope that doesn't gross anybody out.  :-X

My sisters and I made a fort by putting a big blanket over the clothes line.  That's the girly version of a fort.  8)

Another Marilyn Monroe quote.  I agree...be a rule breaker!

http://www.shinzoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/marilyn-monroe-quotes-sayings-030.jpg

:thumbsup::smitten:

I love everything you are sharing, PD

Thank you so much!

Hope you are keeping well and enjoying summer. 

When I come across paintings of wild flowers, it reminds me of the bond we share

growing up walking through fields of flowers and exploring nature.    I was a bit of a

tomboy - you? 

Hugs for you.

Love, Ins

Here's another Marilyn quote, PD

"We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle."

Thank you Ins!  Marilyn has many good quotes.  I love the one you shared also.  :thumbsup:

Those are definitely some of my best childhood memories...exploring nature, the woods, and finding wildflowers!  I'm not sure that I was a tomboy, but I probably did a lot more outdoors stuff than most girls.  I do remember I had some pet frogs that I found in our yard.  They were named jumper and hopper.  I also collected rocks.  Those are about the most boyish things that I can think of that I did.  :P  I grew up with 2 sisters and no brothers, so I didn't have too many boyish influences in my life.

Hugs,  :hug:

PD

PD,

Growing up, I had a lot of boys in my neighborhood and remember playing ball, climbing trees

and having rocks battles!  We actually had some serious rock battles!  lol 

Amazing we survive childhood!

Some of my best memories, though, are of exploring nature - distinctively remember walking through

fields of flowers and picking some, taking them home to my mom.

Sweet memories!

Hugs for you, PD

Love, Ins

Ins,

I grew up on a farm on a dead end road with very few neighbors.  Most of the time it was just me and my sisters...kinda like Little House on the Prairie.  :)  I remember doing a little bit of tree climbing, but I remember climbing hay bales even more.  My dad had some of the small, square ones stacked in our barn and he also had some of those big round ones outside. 

I also have very distinct memories about picking wild flowers.  One Mother's Day I picked a big bouquet of Sweet Williams for my mom.  I still have the picture of her holding them.  That is a very special memory.

If you would have lived close to my house, I'm sure we would have had many adventures together!  :mybuddy:

Love,

PD  :hug:

This is one of the most inspirational songs I've ever heard...just beautiful...

The Last Day by Marilyn Scott

If today were the last of all days

Would it change how you feel, who you are?

Would you rise for a moment

Above all your fears

Become one with the moon and the stars?

Would you like what you see looking down

Did you give everything that you could

Have you done everything that you wanted to do

Is there still so much more that you hold

Follow your dream to the end of the rainbow

Way beyond one pot of gold

Open your eyes to the colors around you

And find the true beauty life holds

Would you live for the moment

Like when you were young

If time didn't travel so fast

Be free in the present enjoying the now

Not tied to a future or past

You probably said all you wanted to say

But doesn't that strike you as strange

That we only begin to start living our lives

Of all days.....

http://www.great-quotes.com/static/managed_images/37/37117190-65B2-11E2-A193-4EDED2894A9A.jpg

PD i know your a Lady of the country so like myself i know you have this all around you like i do so we may take things for granted like the Eagles i see every day right from where i am sitting now !So to all thank you for sharing all you have shared it means so much ~Huggs ~CD

CD,

I feel very blessed that I have come to the place in my life that I can truly say that I don't take these things for granted anymore.  I appreciate so much growing up in the country and now living in the country and the peace it gives me.  I see deer almost every day either in my yard or close by; they are beauty and grace in action.  I'm not a big water person, although I do love spending some time on the lake occasionally.  I'm more of a tree and forest person.  ;)  I think where we grow up and what we did as children has a big impact in that regard.  I enjoy hearing about your escapes on the water because I know how much you love it.  :)

PD, So glad that you now realize that living in the country s a true blessing and have come to appreciate all it has to offer. I myself am trying bring back alot of the joys i have taken for granted ! As for Cow Patties i can relate i still to this day love the smell of freshly spread Cow Manure out in the fields yea i know gross to alot kinda of free Aroma Therapy :laugh: but i do actually like it and like me i bet ya got a few scars from running into Barb Wire ouch! As for playing in the Mud well i still do but not because i still like it just comes with not having alot of pavement to lay on when working! Be well ~ CD

[4a...]

Above all your fears

Like when you were young

Of all days.....

http://www.great-quotes.com/static/managed_images/37/37117190-65B2-11E2-A193-4EDED2894A9A.jpg

So beautiful, PD

Thank you for sharing this. :thumbsup:

Hugs, Ins :smitten:

Above all your fears

Like when you were young

Of all days.....

So beautiful, PD

Thank you for sharing this. :thumbsup:

Hugs, Ins :smitten:

PD, I also thank you for sharing this ~CD

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/yourhoustonnews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/4f/24f6e547-3218-5874-8be1-27294ec319ac/4ce85b1a08d99.image.jpg?resize=300%2C138

DID Y'ALL EVER BUILD CHRISTMAS TREE FORTS?

THIS IS BEFORE THEY DID ALL THE RECYCLING....WE WOULD GO HOUSE TO HOUSE AND DRAG ALL THE TREES DOWN TO THE PARK...AND BUILD A TREE FORT. IT WAS LOTS OF FUN!

FB :smitten:

[4a...]

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/yourhoustonnews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/4f/24f6e547-3218-5874-8be1-27294ec319ac/4ce85b1a08d99.image.jpg?resize=300%2C138

DID Y'ALL EVER BUILD CHRISTMAS TREE FORTS?

THIS IS BEFORE THEY DID ALL THE RECYCLING....WE WOULD GO HOUSE TO HOUSE AND DRAG ALL THE TREES DOWN TO THE PARK...AND BUILD A TREE FORT. IT WAS LOTS OF FUN!

Very creative, Fluter

Kids have the best imaginations. 8)

Never heard of this.  Like PD, we used to make forts out of blankets

Ah, to be a kid again!     

Hugs for you

Love, Ins

What a wonderful surprise to come home to a visit through a simpler, wonder-filled time of life!!! Mud fights, puddle fights, grass and stick forts blown away with the gusts, christmas tree forts that eventually became a flash-burn bonfire watched over by the volunteer fire department...catching tadpoles and frogs, the occasional box turtle...the wonder of a bird's nest discovered while climbing a tree...hikes into the mountains where you BECAME the explorer into new lands and territories...sandwich lunches packed in, smooshed in the bottom of the pack, and tasting better for it...the fascinating repugnance of bear scat...kicking cow patties, or sailing the dry ones(what's a 'Frisbee'?)...building 'dams' across creeks...skipping rocks till yer arm wanted to fall off...pine cone wars...i could do this all afternoon!!! I love this site and i actually love all you folks...some maybe more than others, but just the same... :laugh::smitten: :smitten: :smitten: tex

What a wonderful surprise to come home to a visit through a simpler, wonder-filled time of life!!! Mud fights, puddle fights, grass and stick forts blown away with the gusts, christmas tree forts that eventually became a flash-burn bonfire watched over by the volunteer fire department...catching tadpoles and frogs, the occasional box turtle...the wonder of a bird's nest discovered while climbing a tree...hikes into the mountains where you BECAME the explorer into new lands and territories...sandwich lunches packed in, smooshed in the bottom of the pack, and tasting better for it...the fascinating repugnance of bear scat...kicking cow patties, or sailing the dry ones(what's a 'Frisbee'?)...building 'dams' across creeks...skipping rocks till yer arm wanted to fall off...pine cone wars...i could do this all afternoon!!! I love this site and i actually love all you folks...some maybe more than others, but just the same... :laugh::smitten: :smitten: :smitten: tex

WHAT WONDERFUL MEMORIES OF CHILDHOOD!

A SIMPLE TIME FILLED WITH ALL (DIFFERENT) KINDS OF FUN.

I WAS A GREAT ROCK SKIPPER :) CHINESE JUMP ROPER, AND I SERVED MY BROTHER MUD PIE'S FOR LUNCH...LOL  :thumbsup:

NEVER HAD A PINE CONE WAR; HOWEVER, HAD PLENTY OF CHINA*BERRY OR STICKER*BUR  FIGHTS.

I CAN REMEMBER PLAYIN FLASH LIGHT HIDE-N-GO-SEEK....TILL 11 AT NIGHT. MY MOM BROUGHT US OUT A PLATE OF HOMEMADE FRENCH FRIES :)

LOOKING FOR THE INNER CHILD WITHIN....SHE'S STILL THERE SOMEWHERE. MAYBE SHE WILL COLLECT TREES AT CHRISTMAS AND BUILD A FORT :smitten:

[3e...]
This has been alot of fun reading through childhood memories. I'd forgotten so many things and now, it's all rushing back. I remember snow cream, all day out in the snow and coming home several times to change my wet clothes, the joy of school being called off for the day. In high Summer,  I ran through corn fields, rode logs down swollen creeks, and Barbies--loved my Barbies!!!  :D It was a magical time. I used to get so very excited about Christmas, about the ocean, about everything. I was so curious and alive. And remember how it felt to wake up on a summer day? I used to jump out of bed and run outside for the day!  ;D

[4a...]

This is great, Tex

What a smorgasbord for the senses!  Thank you!!

Thinking specifically about being a kid in summer and how it had its own smells, sounds, tastes, touches, sights.

Smells:

Freshly cut grass!  Heavenly!  what smells better than that?

Sounds:

Bees, lawnmowers, sprinklers!  The music from the ice cream truck!  oh boy!

Tastes:

Fresh lemonade, crispy hot dogs with lots of ketchup, roasted marshmallows, chocolate ice cream,

cotton candy!

Touch:

The sun hot against your bare shoulders and having your feet burn from walking barefoot

on the pavement!

Sights:

Picnic baskets, sunglasses, lawn chairs, tan skin and smiles

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Much love to you all.

:smitten::hug:

[4a...]

This has been alot of fun reading through childhood memories. I'd forgotten so many things and now, it's all rushing back. I remember snow cream, all day out in the snow and coming home several times to change my wet clothes, the joy of school being called off for the day. In high Summer,  I ran through corn fields, rode logs down swollen creeks, and Barbies--loved my Barbies!!!  :D It was a magical time. I used to get so very excited about Christmas, about the ocean, about everything. I was so curious and alive. And remember how it felt to wake up on a summer day? I used to jump out of bed and run outside for the day!  ;D

Ingrid

Oh, yes.  This has really been fantastic reliving these moments.

Christmas as a kid was one of the most exciting times of my life!  Could not sleep, used

to peek at my gifts by tearing the edges of the wrapping paper! 

Oh, the last day of school!  Remember that? 

Remember going to a friend's house for dinner and not being able to control giggling while

sitting at the dinner table?! 

Remember your first bike?  I could barely reach the pedals but tore off on that like crazy!

And cartoons on Saturday mornings!  whoa!!!!

:);D8)

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

CD,

PD, So glad that you now realize that living in the country s a true blessing and have come to appreciate all it has to offer. I myself am trying bring back alot of the joys i have taken for granted ! As for Cow Patties i can relate i still to this day love the smell of freshly spread Cow Manure out in the fields yea i know gross to alot kinda of free Aroma Therapy :laugh: but i do actually like it and like me i bet ya got a few scars from running into Barb Wire ouch! As for playing in the Mud well i still do but not because i still like it just comes with not having alot of pavement to lay on when working! Be well ~ CD

Oh yes CD, cow manure is so much better than the chemical fertilizer they use now.  I don't mind the smell either.  :laugh:  I very much remember those barbed wire fences; I'm sure I did get poked a few times.  My dad also used electric fence and I remember getting jolted!  :o

Hey, are all of us farm kids on this thread? ???

PD

Well, let's see...feeding the chickens, and having some of them peck at yer ankles...jumping out of the hay loft into the loose hay below...swinging off the hay bale pulley...double up bareback riding...riding the tractor in Grandad's lap...cane pole fishin in the creek or the stock tank...the taste of a fresh-picked ANYTHING out of the garden...the first time you got to witness a foaling...smudge pots with an early freeze morning...tire swings...ringing the dinner/fire bell to announce lunch to the harvest crew...pumping the cold water out of the well...THAT country...? tex

I love those country memories Tex!  You are so good at making us feel like we were right there with you! 

:smitten:

http://cdn8.whiskeyriff.com/wp-content/uploads/corn1.jpg

I think this kinda fits the theme of things.  These definitely all fit me except for #7...

10 Reasons Girls From The Midwest Stand Above The Rest

People always talk about a Southern girl, Cali girl, or a City girl but how about us Midwestern girls? Here are just a few reasons why Midwestern girls are among the best.

1. She knows how to have fun anywhere

Growing up surrounded by cornfields you learn how to make even those cornfields a good time. No matter what you’re doing or where you are, if a Midwestern girl is nearby it’s bound to be a fun time.

2. She knows food is the way to the heart

She knows how to make the best food anything from grilling food outside to the best comfort food when you really need it. She has a go-to casserole dish that never gets old. She learned a thing or two from her Mama and is bound to keep the recipes going.

3. She’s easy going

Her adventurous and spontaneous spirit makes her down to do almost anything. Hunting, fishing, movie, drive-ins, concerts, sporting event, just about anything, you can bet a Midwestern girl would be more than happy to go along.

4. Getting lost isn’t always a bad thing

She appreciates a nice drive out to the middle of nowhere. It’s okay if you get lost because all she cares about is having someone special with her, the windows down, and some good music playing.

5. She is independent

An independent woman is a good thing. It means she can take care of herself with a confidence about her. She takes pride in this independence but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t like the idea of a man caring for her and going out of his way for her. She values chivalry and likes to think it’s not dead.

6. She is a hard worker

The Midwest is known for hard working people. She was taught growing up to put her heart and soul into everything she does. She has an incredible work ethic and is very passionate about everything she does. She won’t give up on something she really wants.

7. She loves sports

A Midwestern girl most likely grew up loving a certain sport and team and she’ll love it until the day she dies. You can take her along to any sporting event. She has a competitive edge that she brings into things that aren’t even meant to be competitive. This can be good and bad but either way it keeps life entertaining.

8. She’s friendly

She makes it a point to genuinely speak to people she meets and has something about her that lets them know she’s actually interested in what they are saying. Although she is friendly to people, she will always stand up for what she believes. She’ll speak her mind if she needs to but sometimes you might not want her to. They all say don’t mess with Texas, I say don’t mess with Indiana.

9. They can handle any kind of weather

A Midwestern girl has seen it all. The weather channel is irrelevant to her because she knows that it could change within a few minutes. She’s seen the hottest humid summer days but she’s also bared through the dry bitter winters.

10. The accents

Midwestern girls have a cute little accent. If you’re from the Midwest you probably don’t realize or appreciate it as much, but people from other places of the country are able to notice right away.

There you have it. These are just a few of the things that make Midwestern girls awesome. Now go out and find one for yourself to see what we’re made of!

http://cdn9.whiskeyriff.com/wp-content/uploads/Midwestern-girl.jpg

http://www.whiskeyriff.com/2015/07/06/10-reasons-girls-from-the-midwest-stand-above-the-rest/

Well, let's see...feeding the chickens, and having some of them peck at yer ankles...jumping out of the hay loft into the loose hay below...swinging off the hay bale pulley...double up bareback riding...riding the tractor in Grandad's lap...cane pole fishin in the creek or the stock tank...the taste of a fresh-picked ANYTHING out of the garden...the first time you got to witness a foaling...smudge pots with an early freeze morning...tire swings...ringing the dinner/fire bell to announce lunch to the harvest crew...pumping the cold water out of the well...THAT country...? tex

Tex,

I have some very vivid chicken memories...one was actually a rooster chasing and attacking me when I was about 5 years old.  I haven't cared much for chickens ever since.  :P  Man do I love the smell of hay...and the smell of my dad's corn roasting in the corn dryer.  I loved playing on the hay elevator...much better than anything you'd find on the playground!  8)  Oh yes, I loved riding with Grandpa on the tractor.  But best of all I loved sitting in a wagon of oats behind him...and when the time was right scooping them up with a coffee can into the spreader to watch the oats fly all over the fresh, black dirt.  Picking tomatoes out of the garden and sitting on the back steps with a salt shaker to sprinkle a little salt on after each perfect bite.  A double rope swing on the big, old maple tree in our front yard with a wooden seat notched to fit the ropes.  Old water pumps and wells...oh yes!  We had an old hand pump in our back yard that I loved priming and then pumping away until the water came gushing up on us.  And I have very special memories of a well with an electric pump that my grandpa used to fill up his cattle's water trough.  There was an old metal coffee cup that hung by a hook on the pump.  I can hear the sound of him turning it on and then filling his cup with water and taking a drink while he patiently waited for the tank to fill up. 

Keep those memories comin'!!  :smitten:

PD

Summer nights, when the air was pregnant with the promise of rain...the cicadas would lull you with the ebb and flow of their calling...whiporwills in the trees added to the symphony...lightning bugs leaving a florescent trail across the back of your eyes as you swiped at them, sometimes actually knocking one to the grass where you would then put it in the jar all kids believed was a magical lantern...the hoot owl in the woods...sometimes, the unearthly scream of a bobcat would send shivers through you...delicious sensations of the country in its nighttime prime...the endless stars unfettered by city lights...the screaking and slap-slamming of the back screen door...odd as it may seem, the pungent odor of the outhouse and the threat of the unknown monster dwelling on the bottomside of that hole...the quiet nicker of a horse in the stables...WHEN was the last time you...tex

[4a...]

http://www.kt4qw.com/shortstories/swing.jpg

Thanks for the beautiful posts, you guys.

Growing up, I lived in various settings:  small town, mountains and a rural area surrounded by a lot of farm land.

Living in the country as a teen, I thought my parents had put me in the worst possible place.

It was actually very peaceful and beautiful.   

One of my best memories of living in the mountains is swinging from vines.

Great, great fun!

PD, love the Midwest.  A lot of my life was spent there.

You guys are the sweetest, nicest people.

Love you all and wish you a beautiful Friday

Ins

:smitten:

[4a...]

It is a happy talent to know how to play.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://previews.123rf.com/images/anitap/anitap0809/anitap080900009/3596353-Colorized-black-and-white-with-little-girl-in-a-pink-dress-walking-on-railroad-track-Stock-Photo.jpg

You can discover more about a person in an hour

of play than in a year of conversation.

- Plato

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [jo...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [Oc...]
    • [He...]
    • [ha...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ne...]