Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

6-12 month thread....

[Co...]

WORD FOR THE DAY

Thursday, Dec. 18

Hope is the deep orientation of the human soul that can be held at the darkest times.

Vaclav Havel

Thank you for this!  :smitten:

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [Gr...]

• [No...]

• [pe...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing ok.

I've had the one of the worst days so far today. I managed to get to work (not sure how)I just tried to float there. When I got there, I did something I have never done before, I cried. I'm not sure if it's because people are getting all Chritmassy as I usually would and when you feel just dreadul and have for what seems like so long, I feel like I'm being left behind. I'm sure you understand. The old 'is there something else going on' to make me feel so sick is coming back.

I have a lot of physical pain recently and like Cindy feel like the last 6 months have been the worst and that this is never going to go away. I really don't understand the pain as some days it's not as bad - it's really de motivating. I finished my Christmas shopping this afternoon and tried to ignore the pain - it's done now so I need to congratulate myself. I usually feel so much joy at this time of year, however I am still also grieving the loss of my sister and dad so I can't expect too much.

I'm sorry if I sound miserable but I am   

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing ok.

I've had the one of the worst days so far today. I managed to get to work (not sure how)I just tried to float there. When I got there, I did something I have never done before, I cried. I'm not sure if it's because people are getting all Chritmassy as I usually would and when you feel just dreadul and have for what seems like so long, I feel like I'm being left behind. I'm sure you understand. The old 'is there something else going on' to make me feel so sick is coming back.

I have a lot of physical pain recently and like Cindy feel like the last 6 months have been the worst and that this is never going to go away. I really don't understand the pain as some days it's not as bad - it's really de motivating. I finished my Christmas shopping this afternoon and tried to ignore the pain - it's done now so I need to congratulate myself. I usually feel so much joy at this time of year, however I am still also grieving the loss of my sister and dad so I can't expect too much.

I'm sorry if I sound miserable but I am 

This time of the year is extra hard. No need for apologies. I lost my mom and sister within 2.5 years of each other so I feel your pain. Those feelings of grief are natural. Praying for you and also that the physical pain stops.

yes we really feel those loses so much more at this time, even if not having to go through this craziness.  Thank you or your kind words, your prayers are welcomed and sent back to you along with wishes for a speedy recovery. Bless you  :smitten:

yes we really feel those loses so much more at this time, even if not having to go through this craziness.  Thank you or your kind words, your prayers are welcomed and sent back to you along with wishes for a speedy recovery. Bless you  :smitten:

Bless you too marj! You're welcome! We are in this together :-)

Marj, I feel for you, it looks like we jumped at the same time. But you've done it the smart way, you did a smart taper, which gives you the best shot of having a shorter recovery time. And second, you are still working, Good for you. You've done everything right. So all we can do now, is let time pass, but we can do our best to occupy our time productively. You are even doing that.

Great!

I , too get concerned when I see my pain getting worse, but then when I read this thread so many of us in this 6-12 month thread had setbacks at this point 8 months (jenny21) and others. So that helps me know, this is just part of the healing process. I even understand the grief you are going thru with the loss of yor sis and Dad, My dad passed last year and my sis died of cancer, for some reason, I have been mourning there loss so much more now, years later.

The crying is awful. I can not have a conversation w/o crying, I'll text frineds instead of talking.

marj, I just wanted to send you hope and let you know we will be ok, everyone that has traveled this path before us, has told us we will heal, they keep lighting the way for us, we just need to believe them. They have healed so will we

Always, cindy.

Another update on me :)

The withdrawal layers keep peeling away. Yesterday and today I felt a fair amount of access to my "rational" brain. And at a deeper level too! Felt more mentally "stable" if that makes sense. A good feeling!

I'm working on exercising more. I believe it to not only be good for me, but beneficial for my healing in withdrawal. Still not cranking up the heartrate super high or anything crazy, but I'm out walking everyday. Feels good to be doing things that are good for me, you know?

I definitely need to "reel" it in and eat a little healthier again. The past month as I've felt better, I've also been testing the waters with sweets and richly flavored foods and simple carbs. I have not engorged, but I have been upping my treat quotient. The good news is, I'm able to handle them again in smaller, spaced out increments. That is good news! I do miss my sweets, but I'm actually grateful for withdrawal on this one because it forced me to completely change the way I ate. Sugars and carbs and rich foods would simply rev me too much. So, while I want to be able to enjoy the occasional treat, I don't actually want to go back to my pre-benzo habits on this one :) Moderation, right?

Well, that's all for now :) I hope you all are doing well!

Mrs. :smitten:

I am a bit bummed. Got my physical results.  I knew they would be bad after the last year of mostly being a couch potato. I've gained about 7-8 pounds. My cholesterol went up to 258:( and they said I was prediabetic.  After reading up on it I saw my score for ac1 test was 5.9 which is the lower end of the prediabetic spectrum. After googling it I saw that the American diabetic assn lowered the threshold from 6.1 to 5.7 which included 40% of Americans over 40.  The world health org and many drs were against the expanded new ranges saying it has no bearing on future diabetes. It seems to be influenced by big pharma who can now treat this "new" disease w expensive meds.

I also don't want to take a statin and will try to lower through exercise which I haven't been able to do steadily.

My vit D was low.  Supplement time.

Finally, my ekg was the same inverted T wave I had last time. I think my doc want s to do a whole cardiovascular thingy but he said no rush unless I have chest pain. I always have chest pain.  :crazy:

Big pharma trying to get everyone on drugs but I'm wary. I know he's going to recommend a statin for my cholesterol. 

Not too freaked out but not happy. Have a follow up appt Monday.

Mrs, you sound so good! Love it!

Drew, I have high cholesterol and have been prescribed a statin. I took it for a while, but decided that I'm not gonna anymore! I am trying taking CoQ10, which my new doc recommended! The problem with the statin is it can cause considerable muscle pain! Hope everything works out with the cardio!

I'm also low on vitamin D! Make sure you take vitamin k and magnesium to help aid in the vitamin D absorption! Most people low in vitamin D are also deficient in magnesium!

Hoping everyone is well!

Cindy and Marj,

I'm sorry you're both having a rough time.  Me too.  I had two pretty decent day and am back feeling sick and hopeless again.

I'm so tired, rarely sleep sound having to get up many times to pee.  The mental pain and physical is bad and my neck is so stiff I can't bend it.  My life has no quality like this, just sufferings.

How do we know if we'll heal?  My husband says I need blind faith.

I'm so sad about what happened to my life.

Does anyone else feel that way?

Yes! When the bad feelings return (currently it's fear) I feel like this will never end! I don't sleep good! I don't have a lot of physical, but the mental is beyond exhausting! I just want this to be over already!

:smitten:

Yes! When the bad feelings return (currently it's fear) I feel like this will never end! I don't sleep good! I don't have a lot of physical, but the mental is beyond exhausting! I just want this to be over already!

Mine is physical...right now the shortness of breath is crazy! What the heck :-( I pray it passes soon. It kicked up last night and has been off and on since. Sigh.

Also heightened anxiety...

Hang in there gmit...we will make it.

Cindy and Marj,

I'm sorry you're both having a rough time.  Me too.  I had two pretty decent day and am back feeling sick and hopeless again.

I'm so tired, rarely sleep sound having to get up many times to pee.  The mental pain and physical is bad and my neck is so stiff I can't bend it.  My life has no quality like this, just sufferings.

How do we know if we'll heal?  My husband says I need blind faith.

I'm so sad about what happened to my life.

Does anyone else feel that way?

Yes ma'am, been there before.  It DOES go away!

What's interesting, Freed...when you're looking through "window" eyes (or "healed" eyes or "good day" eyes, whatever you want to call them), it's very difficult to see life completely withOUT hope - you know?  It's just in the waves that it's like wearing "goggles" or horse blinders to the light of day or something.  Yar!  Makes me want to say "Grr!!"

Not to worry.  It will ALL go away eventually.  And, it will happen sooner than you think :)

What's on the calendar for today?

Thanks LM! I'm focusing on my last window, which I had a short period of truly happy, positive feelings! I thought my other windows were good but the last one...when I had the feelings.. Oh My Gosh!! GREAT!

We will get there!! I hope sooner!

I am a bit bummed. Got my physical results.  I knew they would be bad after the last year of mostly being a couch potato. I've gained about 7-8 pounds. My cholesterol went up to 258:( and they said I was prediabetic.  After reading up on it I saw my score for ac1 test was 5.9 which is the lower end of the prediabetic spectrum. After googling it I saw that the American diabetic assn lowered the threshold from 6.1 to 5.7 which included 40% of Americans over 40.  The world health org and many drs were against the expanded new ranges saying it has no bearing on future diabetes. It seems to be influenced by big pharma who can now treat this "new" disease w expensive meds.

I also don't want to take a statin and will try to lower through exercise which I haven't been able to do steadily.

Finally, my ekg was the same inverted T wave I had last time. I think my doc want s to do a whole cardiovascular thingy but he said no rush unless I have chest pain. I always have chest pain.  :crazy:

Big pharma trying to get everyone on drugs but I'm wary. I know he's going to recommend a statin for my cholesterol. 

drew,

I have a nutritional textbook that I used when I would coach people for weight loss, and it suggest nutrition and supplements for many common "ailments" , high cholesterol being one of them.  I'll type it exactly as it is layed out in the book, but I would ask that you look into doses for yourself, as well as checking to make sure that they are "benzo withdrawal safe", okay?  Here is what it says to help lower cholesterol (these are considered to be listed somewhat in 'importance of order' to take):

Nutrients to take:

Considered "very important":

1.) Apple Pectin (as directed on label) - action: lowers cholesterol levels by binding fats and heavy metals.

2.) Chinese red yeast rice extract (2.4g daily) - action: has cholesteral-lowering properties.

3.) Chromium picolinate (400-600mcg daily) - action: lowers total cholesterol levels and improves HDL-to-LDL ratio.

4.) Coenzyme Q10 (60mg daily) - action: improves circulation.

---> take with Coenzyme A from Coenzyme-A Technologies (as directed on label) - action: works well with coenzyme Q10 to streamline metabolism, process fats, remove toxins from the body, and boost the immune system.

5.) Fiber (oat bran or guar gum) (take as directed on label, 1/2 hour before the first meal of the day. Take seperately from other supplements and medications) - action: helps to lower cholesterol.

6.) Garlic (Nutrilite Garlic Health or Kyolic from Wakunaga) (Kyolic form - 2 capsules 3 times daily) - action: lowers cholesterol and blood pressure levels.

7.) L-carnitine (as directed on label) - action: studies conducted using 4 grams of carnitine daily for 12 months showed lowered death rates and lowered cholesterol levels in people who had had heart attacks.

8.) Lecithin granules or capsules (1 tbsp 3 times daily, before meals; or capsules 1200mg 3 times daily, before meals) - action: lowers cholesterol. A fat emulsifier.

9.) Lipotropic factors (as directed on label) - action: substances that prevent fat deposits.

10.) Vitamin A with mixed carotenoids (as directed on label) - action: if you are taking cholesterol-lowering drugs, your lycopene levels will be reduced.  Lycopene is one of the carotenoids that boosts the immune system.

11.) Vitamin B Complex (as directed on label) - action: B vitamins work best when taken together. Important in controlling cholesterol levels.

12.) Vitamin C with bioflavonoids (3000-8000mg daily in divided doses) - action: lowers cholesterol.

13.) Vitamin E (200IU daily or 400IU every other day) - action: improves circulation.  Use an emulsion form for rapid assimilation. Use d-alpha-tocopherol form.

Considered "helpful":

1.) Essential fatty acids (black current seed oil, borage oil, fish oil, primrose oil, or Kyolic-EPA from Wakunaga) (as directed on label. Take with vitamin E as recommended above) - action: thins the blood.

2.) Heart Science from Source Naturals (as directed on label) - action: contains antioxidants to lower cholesterol, plus herbs, vitamins, and other nutrients that protect the heart and promote healty cardiovascular funtion.

3.) Proteolytic enzymes (as directed on label. Take with meals and between meals) - action: Aids digestion (this supplement is not for children)

4.) Selenium (200mcg daily; if you are pregnant, do not exceed 40mcg daily) - action: deficiency has been linked to heart disease.

5.) Shitake extract or reishi extract (as directed on label) - action: helps to control and lower cholesterol levels.

Herbs:

1.) Cayenne (capsicum) or hawthorn berries help to lower cholesterol.

2.) Cinnamon has been shown to lower cholesterol.  Use Cinnulin PF from Nutrivitals rather than the culinary spice.

Recommendations:

*Include the following cholesterol-lowering foods in your diet: almonds, apples, bananas, carrots, cold-water fish, dried beans, garlic, grapefruit, oats, olive oil, salmon, strawberries, and walnuts.  Strawberries in particular were shown to reduce damage from oxidation to the bad (LDL) cholesterol, thereby lowering the risk of heart disease.

*Make sure to take in plenty of fiber in the form of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.  Water-soluable dietary fiber is very important in reducing serum cholesterol.  It is found in barley, beans, brown rice, fruits, glucomannan, guar gum, and oats.  Oat bran and brown rice bran are the best foods for lowering cholesterol.  WHole-grain cereals (in moderation) and brown rice are good as well.  Since fiber absorbs the minerals from the food it is in, take extra minerals separately from the fiber.

*In 1999, the FDA granted a health claim for products that contained plant stanols and sterol esters from any plant, especially soybeans.  Any product containing 0.65 gram of plant sterols or 1.7 grams of plant stanols per serving can claim to reduce the risk of heart disease.  The sterols and stanols were shown to lower total cholesterol 9% and bad cholesterol by 12%.  Adding fish oil to the diet along with sterols or stanols had an added benefit of lowering triglycerides.

*Drink fresh juices, especially carrot, celery, and beet juices (watch sugar levels).  Carrot juice helps to flush out fat from the bile in the liver and this helps lower cholesterol.

*Go on a monthly spirulina fast, with carrot and celery juice or lemon and steam-distilled water.

*Use only unrefined cold- or expeller-pressed oils.  Cold-pressed oils are those that have never been heated above 110 degrees F during processing -- at this temperature, enzyme destruction begins.  Use vegetable oils that are liquid at room temperature, such as olive, soybean, flaxseed, primrose, and black current seed oil.  Olive oil is recommended.

*Do not eat any nuts except raw, unsalted pecans, walnuts, and almonds.  Almonds are rich in the amino acid arginine, and were found in one study to cut cholesterol levels by sixteen points over a four-week period.

*Reduce the amount of saturated fat and cholesterol in your diet.  Saturated fats include all fats of animal origin as well as coconut and palm oil.  Eliminate from the diet all hydrogenated fats and hardened fats and oils such as margarine, lard, and butter.  Margarine that contains plant sterols, however, is a relatively healthy option.  Consume no heated fats or processed oils, and avoid animal products (especially pork and pork products) and fried or fatty foods.  Always read food product labels carefully.  You may consume nonfat milk, low-fat cottage cheese, and skinless white poultry meat (preferably turkey), but only in moderation.

*Do not consume alcohol, cakes, candy, carbonated drinks, coffee, gravies, nondairy creamers, pies, processed or refined foods, refined carbohydrates, tea, tobacco, or white bread.

*Get regular moderate exercise.  Always consult with your health care provider before beginning any new exercise program.

My apologies for such a large amount of information, but this is what the book had on High Cholesterol :)  Hope it helps you a bit :)  Take care buddy,

Awww...very sweet mrs...

Thx!  I'm very knowledgeable on most of these items as I'm usually a healthy guy.  This whole benzo thing has knocked me off my game.  I stopped taking any supplements after I jumped as too many things were effecting me.  I started back up on vit D and Fish oil today. 

The frustrating thing is that there is so much conflicting info now.  Did you know the study of why saturated fats are bad was completely flawed and has been discredited?  It's now a story of drs being afraid to change their recommendations.  I'm adding back a few things.  I feel the key for me Is to drop 10-15 pounds and everything else will follow.  It has been so hard on the exercise front. Priority one w smaller portions.

Thx again mrs.  :smitten:

I totally understamd , with the exercise thing. Its not so much about how much you do, but how consistently you can do it, you know? I couldn't do anything for a while, and have just started getting back into exercising again. I just go on walks. I started slow, and short distances -- haha, probably could've crawled faster when I started out. But I did it almost daily, and that consistency bred it into a habit. From there, I'm now up to about an hour a day, at about 3mph pace. This is just about where I was at, pre-acute phase. And growing from there :) I can now keep up with my walking-fanatical friend, and her sled dog!! It gets there :) But they say that even just MOVING, over sitting, carries beneficial effects for the body! So, phooey with getting down on yourself for not "doing" like you "used" to -- just get doing something! The rest will take care of itself, you'll naturally progress :)

My goodness, I'm a bit "rambly" today/tonight! My apologies for the mini novels in posts tonight :P Happy Friday to you all!! :)

Drew,

Everybody on this thread has low Vit. D. I don't know why, but it's a side effect of either benzo use, withdrawal, or both.

I'm sure you know enough to do your homework on the statins.  There are some studies basically saying they just don't work.  And they cause liver cancer.

Yep, I am also low in VIT D and was prescribed 50,000 units weekly of vit D in April. I decided not to take it after reading posts that it can rev up sxs. I was retested in July and Nov and told I am still low and  my doctor recommended now taking 3,000 units daily. I'll just walk outside in the sunshine, I think it will improve after WD.

Hi Guys,

I JUMPED!!

I actually did it one month and 5 days ago, but I didn't know from one day to the next if it would last and didn't want to announce it to anybody. My Mom doesn't even know yet.

But I did it.

And I'm still here.

I've been hit with a few bad days and waves etc..but I do feel better on a day to day basis.

Anyway, hope everyone else is hanging tough!

Happy Hollidays everybody!

Mrs, you sound so good! Love it!

Drew, I have high cholesterol and have been prescribed a statin. I took it for a while, but decided that I'm not gonna anymore! I am trying taking CoQ10, which my new doc recommended! The problem with the statin is it can cause considerable muscle pain! Hope everything works out with the cardio!

I'm also low on vitamin D! Make sure you take vitamin k and magnesium to help aid in the vitamin D absorption! Most people low in vitamin D are also deficient in magnesium!

Hoping everyone is well!

GMIT, I've come across a few things online questioning whether statins actually even prevent heart attack.  The authors suggest the drug companies skew the results to make it seem the drugs are necessary.  I have high cholesterol but refused the med.  Doc was stunned.

Hi Guys,

I JUMPED!!

I actually did it one month and 5 days ago, but I didn't know from one day to the next if it would last and didn't want to announce it to anybody. My Mom doesn't even know yet.

But I did it.

And I'm still here.

I've been hit with a few bad days and waves etc..but I do feel better on a day to day basis.

Anyway, hope everyone else is hanging tough!

Happy Hollidays everybody!

Way to go!  Congrats, and happy hols to you too.

Does anybody else on this thread have family that is getting tired of your withdrawal? My husband is getting worn out.

I was taken cold turkey off klonipin 6months ago and cold turkey off Valium a year and one half

My symptoms are electrical shocks in my left leg, hypventilation,balance problems

I can do very little

I need your help

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Kr...]
    • [No...]
    • [Ta...]
    • [hu...]
    • [jo...]
    • [Li...]
    • [fr...]
    • [Pe...]
    • [De...]