Important Survey - Please Participate ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder

[...]

With misdiagnosis being a huge problem during benzo withdrawal, I am wondering what will happen when the new Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM 5) will enter the scene, if it hasn't already. One of the new "disorders" in the latest edition is called Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder, and it is said to have an even lower threshold than the other disorders one is typically given as a diagnosis while going through benzo withdrawal such as depression, all kinds of anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder etc.

Does anyone know if Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome will ever be in the DSM ? Stupid question. Of course it won't. Still I'd like to know what your ideas on this are.

With misdiagnosis being a huge problem during benzo withdrawal, I am wondering what will happen when the new Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM 5) will enter the scene, if it hasn't already. One of the new "disorders" in the latest edition is called Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder, and it is said to have an even lower threshold than the other disorders one is typically given as a diagnosis while going through benzo withdrawal such as depression, all kinds of anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder etc.

Does anyone know if Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome will ever be in the DSM ? Stupid question. Of course it won't. Still I'd like to know what your ideas on this are.

Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder **is** Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome, as far as DSM V is concerned.

Think about it. This new and totally bogus "diagnosis" fits benzo withdrawal quite nicely. It gives Psychiatrists all the cover they need to continue to deny benzo withdrawal while polydrugging us into oblivion.

I'm sorry, but I need to log off now and go throw up. Just thinking about DSM V and new bogus diagnoses such as Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder makes me want to puke!

There is a silver lining to this though...  The NIMH is no longer recognizing the DSM V or any other. This is very significant news, but it will take some time for the repercussions to be felt.

Handing ZigZag a tissue and a breath mint... :laugh:

Hi LC

when I was in acute withdrawal my  dr write  DSM.

Idiot , keep me on for absolutelly no reason for 12 years . Of course is wrong , my new dr diagnose is  Benzodiazepines withdrawal syndrome  BWS. 

Interesting is my lun dr know I have to take for rest my life , ok , but dont' believe in benzpo w/d . Is just big fat lie , all about money . :smitten: erika

I have to say I did meet one psychiatrist (the last in a series of 10 if my counting is right) who said that for him a diagnosis is not the most important thing of the treatment, and he didn't want to give me any more diagnoses on top of the ones I already got. He still denied I could be in withdrawal, though, because once the substance leaves your body you can't feel it anymore, he said. And he also said that when you're still taking the benzos in a stable dose you can't have withdrawals of any kind. So I dumped him nevertheless once I was finished with my taper. But I did give him the best marks for not throwing a DSM diagnosis on me like all the others.

How on earth the American Psychiatric Association could overlook the whole benzo withdrawal syndrome and the protracted variant while writing their DSM when it leaves the patients with the wackiest psychological and physical symptoms for an extended period of time is beyond my comprehension.

I'm not sure what the criteria are for this disorder according the DSM V, but the previous version goes like this:

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders fourth edition, DSM IV-TR, defines somatization disorder as:

A. A history of many physical complaints beginning before age 30 years, occurring over several years, resulting in seeking treatment, or significant impairment.

B. Each one of the following criteria must have been met, with individual symptoms occurring at any time:

1. Four pain symptoms (related to different sites or functions)

2. Two gastrointestinal symptoms (other than pain)

3. One sexual symptom (other than pain)

4. One "pseudoneurological" symptom (not limited to pain)

C. Either (1) or (2):

1. after appropriate investigation, each of the symptoms cannot be fully explained by a known general medical condition (GMC) or direct effects of a substance.

2. when there is a related GMC, the physical complaints or resulting impairment are in excess of what would be expected from the history, physical examination, or laboratory findings.

D. The symptoms are not intentionally produced or feigned(as in factitious disorder or malingering).

I honestly can't imagine what they mean by "sexual" symptom and a "pseudoneuroligical" symptom. If anyone knows, please explain. And why only one of those, but two gastrointestinal symptoms (do belching and farting count ?) and no less than 4 pain symptoms. Do I qualify if I have just 3 pain symptoms and 3 gastrointestinal complaints instead ? What if I have 3 types of headache ? Is that the same as 3 pain symptoms, or is it just one because they are all types of heachaches ? And aren't all gastrointestinal complaints basically the exact same thing ?

Define "significant impairment". Isn't that subjective ? And if my symptoms can be partially explained (not fully) by a known general condition, couldn't the other symptoms be nothing more like the result of dealing with illness on a daily basis ? Couldn't one explicable symptom cause another symptom, like insomnia causes fatigue and muscle pain ? Where does one draw the line between what is explicable and what is not ? And how do we intentionally produce or feign symptoms ? Who's to say that we do that or not ?