Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

NEED ADVICE - mom is involved with cult - everyone pls advice

[9f...]

[9f...]

Hey guys, I've recently found out that my mom is sending money to an overseas Christian ministry that seems totllay sketchy, fyi, because the website doesn't give specifics about anything they do to help people. I'm quite sure its a scam. She found him on tv, he has a show.

I'm not sure how much money it is that she's sending as "tithes" (my money husband just informed me that's a money offering....before when she told me, i thought it was a symbolic ritual). The trouble is,  parents are in real bad shape  financially with debt, real bad, have been for years. They are in their 60s with ZERO retirement and they don't own their house. Their circumstance is such that they cant survive on social security Alone.

My dad recently (at the start of this year) took a management job paying 15k more a year. He hates it, and has to work like 80hrs a week sometimes, but he took it to try to get the situation better.  My mom writes all the bills, so i doubt he knows about it. I feel he has a right to know, but i dont want to go behind her back. She's also so excited about this cult guy that i don't want to Make her feel stupid or take away something that makes her feel not depressed anymore. What's worse is my business started taking off around this time and she associates that with the tithes she's sending. I'm afraid shes sending even more to help me.

Should i talk to my dad? Try to talk sense into mom about the reality of this guy (talking sense with her has never worked in the past), or just stay out of it, its not my business?

This has me stressed now.

-tor

Hi torbjorn.

The main thing is that YOU cannot tolerate this stress right now, nor should you have to.

Your dad has a right to know how your mom is budgeting their money. Hand the problem over to him where it belongs. I don't see anything underhanded in your doing this. It's Mom that's being the sneaky one. 

[9f...]
Thanks UTC. You're right that i can't take on the stress of it, but i feel stressed anyway. I feel stressed getting my mom in trouble.

Maybe tell her to tell your dad or else you'll have to because you feel it's the right thing to do. The stress will only continue if you do nothing, unless you feel you can just let it go.