Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Weight gain & edema

[Ko...]

I'm gaining weight rapidly plus I have edema on ankles.  Are any you suffering from this? Is this a common side effect? I have gained 5Lbs during my 14 months of taper, but gained 20lbs in 4 months of acute withdrawal. 

Sorry you are having some weight issues. My first 9 months off klonopin after an initial dip the first few weeks ended up putting on around 30 pounds. Could not exercise 90% of the time and when I did my fingers would swell up for a few hours.

Months 11 and 12 I've been able to exercise more frequently and have dropped 15 of those 30 pounds since Jan 1. Have read lots of people on BB get benzo belly or retain lots of water during w/d but eventually as we recover and become more active or our body chemistry realigns it gets better.  :thumbsup:

Why do we retain water?  I realized yesterday that my fingers feel tight and are noticeable when i try to make a fist.  Can we use dandelion root to remedy this?

Why do we retain water?  I realized yesterday that my fingers feel tight and are noticeable when i try to make a fist.  Can we use dandelion root to remedy this?

Wish I knew why some of us retain water. I think our bodies get so messed up, confused and out of balance that they don't remember how to work properly and we are left with all kinds of odd symptoms such as this.

Hopefully someone with knowledge drops by and can comment on the dandelion root.

Korbe this is just my opinion but I feel that edema on the ankles should always be assessed by a physician, just to make sure nothing else is going on.

Chinook  :)

I have gained 25 pounds in 3 months. I was eating like crazy because I was starving all the time and unable to excercise. I finally can excercise again... in moderation. I have also reduced my caloric intake so I do not contine to gain.

I gained weight too. I was hungry ALL the time, and craved sugary and salty foods. It has to be the benzos doing something to our metabolism. Im finally losing weight now, but its SLOW.

Sounds like a lot of us are struggling with the weight thing.  I was glad to hear that the weight comes off when we heal and can exercise & diet.  I'm going to try to control my sugar intake and walk when I'm able so I don't gain anymore.  I usually snack in the middle of the night when I can't sleep, which is every night, so I need to find a low cal snack that will satisfy.  I hate this!  I've never weighed this much in my 68 years. 

Chinookwind:  Thanks for the advice about seeing a doc.  If this continues I will go to get a blood test to make sure my kidneys are functioning properly.  I've been taking a lot of Advil for pain lately and it can contribute to edema and kidney problems.

Korbe

I have also this problem. During my taper I was able to exercise and I lost weight, about 16 lbs. I did it purposefully, because it didn't seem to hurt me. However, the last three months of my taper I couldn't exercise anymore and started eating instead. After I reinstated Amitriptyline I got all the weight back that I had lost during my long  taper.

Now I feel like Jenny does: weight gain has stopped but weight goes down painfully slow. I have been biking 8 or 9 weeks now and eating less, but it's just that I'm not gaining weight anymore. I feel it is at least partly due to Amitriptyline that I felt I had to reinstate. Partly bad eating habits that developed during those long autumn and winter months. How much of it is because of benzos, I cannot know. Now for the first time I was able to cut Amitriptyline a little and am hopeful that if I can continue to do that and keep exercising my weight might finally start to go down.

I am hopeful because during my taper, the first 16 months of total 19, I felt that I was able to lose weight succesfully. I thought that reducing benzo (and amitriptyline, I had both of them in my pill) is good for my body chemistry. When I reinstated Amitriptyline, I felt immediately that now my body doesn't react anymore. Weight gain was rapid and I really felt that this is not good. I am waiting for my body to wake up, when I cut amitriptyline. But I can't do it very rapidly, because that would take it's toll, too.

Like Korbe, I also have this problem, that when I wake up and cannot sleep I need to eat something. Earlier it was pop corn, then I gained weight. Now it's bananas, it's little bit better. I try not to eat too many of them. I understand I should buy low calory food for snacking. It's hard not to snack, because it often gives you your sleep back.

I gained 25lbs. of blubber and I am at 8 months.  I cannot seem to lose it despite running at least 5 miles daily.  It is awful.

I have gained 35 lbs since ct and some of it is water. I notice the bloat in my wrists, hands and face. Doctor has ruled everything out with my heart etc. I'm taking a small dose of Depakote so that could be adding to it. I also notice when taking Ibuprofin or Naproxen I get more bloated. Every so often I pee it all out and feel fine for a few days then it comes back. It's pretty uncomfortable.

I was hoping to hear from some buddies who gained weight but lost it easily after they healed.  Anybody have that experience?

Ericb,

Now I feel depressed. If you're able too run 5 miles (that's amazing that you're well enough to do that) and you're still not losing weight tells me that something chemical is happening that's out of our control.  Very scary.  No way I can run even one mile, even when I'm well.  I can walk 5 miles though.

Hope we're not destined to be like thus forever.

Korbe,

I feel the same way as you, I  was really hoping someone would have a positive story once healed. I've been naturally thin my whole life, I never gave my weight a second thought. Which is why this is so frustrating to me!! I've only gained 7 Pounds but the weight won't budge and its making me nuts!! Hopefully someone that has healed will give a positive story.

I was hoping to hear from some buddies who gained weight but lost it easily after they healed.  Anybody have that experience?

I will refer you to one of my favorite success stories. It's remarkable and has something for everyone. He lost most of the weight gain in 2 months after feeling better....

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=84857.0

I have swelling in my legs if I sit a long time - like now at my computer.  Along with the electrical sensation, it's no picnic.  Walking helps a bit.  I don't have much of an appetite though.  I eat because I'm supposed to for nutrition.

I think our bodies can't pump properly - blood and all.  The nerve endings are all messed up.  Nothing works quite right.

Ughhh something happened to circulation in my legs and i now have spider veins!!! How the heck do i get rid of them? Thx benzo withdrawal!!!

Wait.......wait.......wait......Korbe.  While I have gained 25lbs, my diet has also changed.  I eat quite a bit of junk food now because I get cravings that I never had before while out of withdrawal.  That is part of the problem.  Also, I am a runner and have been doing it for years.  Do not feel bad because of your performance vs. mine.  Again, I have been doing it for years......long before I went on benzos.  In comparison my distance and times are awful and I am certainly not well.  I was so dizzy this morning that I could not run and took a day off.  Most times I just run while dizzy which is God awful.  I really do not want you to worry, you WILL lose the wait.  It's going to take 2 years, that is about average for most.   

Wait.......wait.......wait......Korbe.  While I have gained 25lbs, my diet has also changed.  I eat quite a bit of junk food now because I get cravings that I never had before while out of withdrawal.  That is part of the problem.  Also, I am a runner and have been doing it for years.  Do not feel bad because of your performance vs. mine.  Again, I have been doing it for years......long before I went on benzos.  In comparison my distance and times are awful and I am certainly not well.  I was so dizzy this morning that I could not run and took a day off.  Most times I just run while dizzy which is God awful.  I really do not want you to worry, you WILL lose the wait.  It's going to take 2 years, that is about average for most. 

I can relate. My running is slow and if I get too dizzy or the breathing stuff is acting up I have to walk for a block and then go some more. We are just pushing through the best we can Korbe, not completely healed running pain free at top speed! It's a struggle every day to exercise and build endurance back up but I feel capable enough finally after a year of healing that the benefits outweigh the revving of symptoms and pain.

Do you guys think that after we heal the weight will just come off easily or will we still have to work at it? Also, why do you think some of us crave junk food and gain weight while others on here are nauseous and lose weight?

Do you guys think that after we heal the weight will just come off easily or will we still have to work at it? Also, why do you think some of us crave junk food and gain weight while others on here are nauseous and lose weight?

My guess is if we put on the weight from inactivity then it's probably going to take some work. My gain was strictly from being unable to exercise or do much of anything for months on end. It's coming off fairly quickly with a consistent effort.

I've read other folks on here were strictly water weight and it went away rapidly with little or no effort. Don't believe that is the case for me but I wouldn't complain if it is  :laugh:

During w/d I've had periods of bad nausea and periods of carb craving. If somebody gets stuck with only one, then they are more likely to gain or lose weight. Sometimes our symptoms mimic low blood sugar, and our natural reaction to that is eat something quick. Many times it can just be a sensation caused by w/d then we are constantly trying to fix something with food that is really not there. Our bodies are constantly tricking us telling us something is wrong.

I'm glad you're feeling 55 percent Innadaze - that's excellent!

Thanks FreeofV! Such an exact number, eh? I seem to be getting a little better overall each month, so keep adding 5%.

Inadaze,

What breathing stuff do you get? I've been getting this shortness of breath thing where sometimes I'm short of breath but mostly I feel like I need to force myself to breath. I take really shallow breaths and it scares me. Since it's been getting warmer I've been swelling up more and it sucks!

Inadaze,

What breathing stuff do you get? I've been getting this shortness of breath thing where sometimes I'm short of breath but mostly I feel like I need to force myself to breath. I take really shallow breaths and it scares me. Since it's been getting warmer I've been swelling up more and it sucks!

Pretty much what you describe. Difficulty getting a deep, satisfying breath. It was much worse months 3-10. Now it gets easier but still distressing and troubling. Have to concentrate taking the breath. Remember to breathe into the belly. Have to stop and catch my breath sometimes. It's ridiculous. Lots of people I spoke with regularly the past year had this to varying degrees. From all the reading I've done here on BB coming off ativan is the worst for the breathing issues, klonopin probably second. Gets easier as time goes on!  :thumbsup:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Jo...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [ra...]
    • [2c...]
    • [an...]
    • [bi...]
    • [...]
    • [Re...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gr...]
    • [El...]