Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Suggestions for a tattoo (warning tat pics inside)

[Be...]

Greeting my fellow Buddies, I could do with some help if you can muster it.

I'd like to get a tattoo to remind me never to take addictive drugs/alcohol again but I'm out of inspiration so I'd appreciate some ideas if you have any.  It might jog my creativity so I can decide on one.

The conditions are that it must be a short set of words, not a picture, and no mention of drugs' names in it, and it'll have to fit on my forearm where I can see it.

If you were to have one for that purpose, what would it say?

Thanks for any input/ideas you may have.

B :)

My creativity is still virtually nonexistent so I don't have any suggestions for you but I want to get one eventually as well. In my case I am thinking I will include the "horror" component that it reminds me of the awfulness of what I went through, but in a way that it isn't the focus of the piece.

I have a painting I bought in Prague awhile back. It is of a girl, but when you really look close you can see that there are dozens of different things that make up her hair. A peacock, a pirate ship, an elephant.....I'm thinking something along those lines where the overall piece is something that is good and beautiful but some part of it shows a hidden message, one that I want to forget but was a very valuable lesson that I need to keep somewhere in the back of my mind.

Sounds like the same reasons I'm getting mine, FG.  Important lessons to remember.

I'm as blank as can be on this one.  I got two more today, one of Jimi Hendrix's face and another that's the quote in my sig so I'm nice and sore and smelling of cocoa butter lol.  All I want to do now is eat chocolate as that's all I can smell heh!

But so far as getting one to signify staying away from drugs.. all I can think of so far is "just say no".. but I don't know if I can bear that as it's a Nancy Reagan quote :D

I love Jimi Hendrix.  When I got free of Xanax, I felt exhilarated just like this quote of his:

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."

Honestly, I felt so happy being free.  To me that quote sums up happiness.  I don't believe I could continue being happy while chained to a drug.  This quote could be meaningful to those of us who were dependent upon a benzo and helpful in keeping us free of addictive drugs because although we may feel good on a drug in the short-term, in the long term, not so much.

Your friend might say, hey Benzoid, drop this, it will make you feel amazing.  Your response: Excuse me while I kiss the sky.  (Meaning:  I feel too darn good to mess up my body with a drug again.  You'd know exactly what the quote meant 'to you'.  But it would not be glaringly obvious to anyone else unless you told them.

When I think of a short quote of what being drug free means to me, I think of:

Unchained freedom

Jumped Free

One Hundred Percent Me

Uninfluenced

Also, a date could be cool.  For me this would be:  April Twenty Five Two Thousand and Thirteen <~ That was my first day of drug freedom in over 25-years.

I love brainstorming stuff like this.  Will post more if I get any ideas.

Hey Juliea,

Those are some excellent pointers.  I may even have the Jimi quote from Purple haze done separately for the sake of it, and it's given me the idea of looking through his tracks to see if there's one that'll be spot on.  Good call.  :thumbsup:

Muchos Gracias Seniores.

I was thinking I'd do the same thing, a "reminder" tattoo. I came up with an idea a while ago but benzo brain deleted it.

Anyway, first thing I'm gonna do is get a med alert bracelet. It will simply read: NO BENZOS

:-X

I like "uninfluenced". That's a good one.

I was thinking I'd do the same thing, a "reminder" tattoo. I came up with an idea a while ago but benzo brain deleted it.

Heh.  Sounds familiar.  My 'to do' list isn't getting smaller thanks to bennies ;)

Anyway, first thing I'm gonna do is get a med alert bracelet. It will simply read: NO BENZOS

G on, get in that studio, girl, it's not that painful. :D

A few people were asking to see my tats but it appears the PM system won't allow sending of pics so I'll post em here.

Feast your eyes: :D

My first one 3.5 weeks ago:

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad154/fourfriedeggs/2014-03-05135244_zps173e29f6.jpg

The two I got yesterday:

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad154/fourfriedeggs/2014-03-28142125_zps94c97459.jpg

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad154/fourfriedeggs/16020d05-4176-4bbc-ac1a-1029d7b52f15_zpsddffebcb.jpg

Those two still need to heal to bring out the accuracy and settle into the skin so it's lot of cocoa butter & sunscreen for a few weeks :D

Now, the two quotes are on the outer forearms and the Jimi one on the inner left, so I need to come up with one for my inner right forearm that reminds me never to touch addictive drugs again, then I'll be done.  Probably ;)

Ps, in case anyone was wondering  (a few have) I spent 5yrs deciding to have tats before I started on Benzos but it took me that long to work out what I wanted and the condition was that they all have to be life-central things that I want to remember forever.  I'm not into having tats for tats sake. :)

oo interesting...

the revelation of thought takes men out of servitude into freedom

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like that one because it both refers to servitude (to drugs)/freedom (from them) and the wonderful inner world/thought that drugs rob us of

Or perhaps other freedom related sentiments...

Freedom is the right to one's dignity

Nobody can give you freedom

Freedom is never dear at any price. It is the breath of life.

-Mahathma Gandhi

Or Nietzche said

'Nothing has been purchased more dearly that the little bit of reason and sense of freedom that now constitutes our pride'

You could change that up a little.

Nietzche might have some other good things to say on emancipation of the mind.. I'll go look (since I'm procrastinating from study)

Well naturally the first hit from Mr Nietzsche is going to be: 'that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger'

What else has he got...

mmm lots on a similar theme...

'to live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering'

'he who has a why to live can bear almost any how'

But probably nothing that is right for your purposes.

Now I must go back to my study. I hope that helps xxx

But probably nothing that is right for your purposes.

Now I must go back to my study. I hope that helps xxx

Far from it, Smiff.  Those are all giving me some inspiration that I lacked.  Besides that they're some excellent quotes.  :thumbsup:

Thanks very much for your contributions, now get back to studying and grow that brain.

B :hug:

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."

Since you that it's been buzzing around my head constantly so I've had to keep playing Purple haze :D

Lol.. I know that feeling, K.

Not a bad idea that.  They'd keep scratching the back of my fretboard though if I had one :D

Maybe we'll see you with a tat soon enough.  Go on, you know ya want to ;)

Castles made of sand slips into the sea eventually

Ah, that's from Jimi's Castles made of sand.  And how true it is :)

oo interesting...

As are those awesome quotes you found.  Some great ones in there, especially Ghandi's one.  Now get back to study I don't want to be responsible for you getting an F :D

Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you

Ain't that the truth!

Ever heard "it doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in"? :D

Lots of :hug: s to you all.  Thanks for some inspiration.

Greetings all,

I've decided that this will be my tat to remind me not to take addictive drugs again:

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad154/fourfriedeggs/Untitled_zpse32d3cc0.jpg

It's a version of the album cover for Pink Floyd's The Division Bell, but the album itself has major personal significance relating to drug-taking and, crucially, the things I've lost through their use & abuse.  The light-bulb moment occurred!

I'm also going to get one or two of the quotes offered by some of you later down the line but this'll be the next one.

Thanks very much for everyone's input, it did help break through the fog and get my inspiration firing again. :thumbsup:

I've put study aside the last two nights in favor of hand sewing (what the?!)

Ah well.. more pressing than anything right now is report writing.

I just saw you were still tapering benzoid.

Do you find you get cortisol and adrenaline spikes during/post tattoo?

I just had some surgery a week ago. It wasn't major but I was under for 3 hours and all surgery put pressure on your body. I've just noticed my cortisol levels are back higher.. of course I did! thanks benzo w/d for being super sensitive to any unpleasant body chemical! ;)

I've put study aside the last two nights in favor of hand sewing (what the?!)

Hand sowing?  Oh that old business ;)

Ah well.. more pressing than anything right now is report writing.

You go girl.  Report the crap out of them.  :thumbsup:

I just saw you were still tapering benzoid.

Yup, will be for a while I suspect.  :-\

Do you find you get cortisol and adrenaline spikes during/post tattoo?

Actually no, I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and for me I didn't get any adrenaline, in fact I was bored and wanting it to hurry up if anything.  I think the benzos helped keep me calm so I felt ok during and after.  I did get a nice Endorphine rush afterwards, though, as my body knew it was being injured. Mmm :D

I just had some surgery a week ago. It wasn't major but I was under for 3 hours and all surgery put pressure on your body. I've just noticed my cortisol levels are back higher.. of course I did! thanks benzo w/d for being super sensitive to any unpleasant body chemical! ;)

Aww sorry to hear that, Smiff, I've not yet noticed any cortisol issues, but then right now I'm swaying all over the place and still just getting used to the types of WD's there are with these horrible little pills, so it's hard to say for sure what I'm getting or not.  It hadn't even occurred to me that it could be an issue til you mentioned it.  I think I'm ok at the moment.

Take it easy Smiff,

B :hug:

You too B

You'll be lucky if you don't come to know our friend cortisol. It is the icky feeling that is a bit heart racey in the morning. Hopefully no weird cortisol action for you!

xx

You too B

You'll be lucky if you don't come to know our friend cortisol. It is the icky feeling that is a bit heart racey in the morning. Hopefully no weird cortisol action for you!

xx

Fingers crossed the benzo fairy will bless me and I'll get a pass.  Time will tell.

Take it easy Smiff :)

hii benzoid heres the tattoo i have i got it early last year! theres 2 more smaller stars below those 2

I think I'd like to see them just to make absolutely sure, Katy ;)