Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The power of the placebo (documentary)

[Be...]

Hi folks,

I was watching this documentary last night on the effects of Placebo's and thought you may find it interesting.

I was wondering if the reverse can apply, ie can we feel negative effects from drugs if we believe were going to get them.

Thoughts?

B :)

I find the placebo effect fascinating & it would be great if we could harness it at will but it seems to work only for some conditions & not for everyone.

There are studies which have found a negative placebo effect when participants believed they were taking a substance with known side fx.

Hey ihope,

There are studies which have found a negative placebo effect when participants believed they were taking a substance with known side fx.

That's interesting, I wonder how that could affect us lot with our expected wd symptoms? <scratches chin>

Good film - however it has some problems with the data collection.

The researchers should not know that they are taking part in placebo studies because they will have an effect on the outcome based on the observer effect demonstrated in physics experiments.

I had heard of a knee surgeon who faked procedures to test  the placebo effect. To his astonishment, the placebo was as effective as his surgeries.

An interesting note - how many benzo patients have been told that they can just quit  their benzo ct with no problems and are able to do it because of the authority and rapport of the Dr. This has happened I believe - it would be fascinating to know the numbers.

Interesting, but I don't want to be one of those to find out.

River

When I quit CT the first time, I had no expectations or experiences of wdwls from a drug & no knowledge that this could occur with benzos. Unfortunately the sx we all know too well kicked in anyway.

Good film - however it has some problems with the data collection.

The researchers should not know that they are taking part in placebo studies because they will have an effect on the outcome based on the observer effect demonstrated in physics experiments.

I thought they exampled both, one group who did know and others that didn't?

An interesting note - how many benzo patients have been told that they can just quit  their benzo ct with no problems and are able to do it because of the authority and rapport of the Dr. This has happened I believe - it would be fascinating to know the numbers.

I was wondering this earlier in the thread.  I've seen a few members who's doctors have told them to CT, and I could barely believe my eyes.  Maybe there was more to that than met the eye.

Interesting, but I don't want to be one of those to find out.

Nah me neither.  One way or the other I'm now starting to get WD symptoms from my quick taper so I don't fancy trying it out and having a seizure!

When I quit CT the first time, I had no expectations or experiences of wdwls from a drug & no knowledge that this could occur with benzos. Unfortunately the sx we all know too well kicked in anyway.

I'm sure Placebo doesn't work for everyone or they'd have us all CT'ing.  I'm still fascinated by it, though, since it's such a weird phenomena.

Peace-out for now, homies :)

I am not buying the placebo idea.  My pdoc told me to taper K, a little every month or so, and I would be fine.  He had always told me that when it was time for me to come off K, I would just slowly taper and all would be well.  I had no idea I would have such extreme w/ds.  For months I thought my s/xs were all kinds of diseases.  My hubby finally put 2 and 2 together and figured out I was in w/d.  So no placebo for me.  Now if they could come up with a good placebo to get rid of the s/xs they would have something!

Overcomer  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I am not buying the placebo idea.

It's not an idea but a proven effect.  That's why pharmaceutical companies use them in blind trials.  That said it doesn't seem to work for everything and it isn't just a straightforward matter of mind over matter, and with most things relating to the brain/body it's not fully understood how it works.

Tranquilisers work best if they are blue, or at least at the blue end of the spectrum.

A massive"secret"study of placebo effects(undertaken by the Foundation of the National Institutes of Health in the States)is being funded by companies including Merck, Eli Lilly, AstraZeneca, Pfizer and GlaxoSmithKline.

Just saying :)

Merck, Eli Lilly, AstraZeneca, Pfizer and GlaxoSmithKline.

Oh all those lovely, scrupulous companies that so many of us trust lol :D

Hey benzoid,

Along with everyone here I put my life in their hands.

I can only say that I didn't realise that was the deal.

Take care...and don't take anything else,

Spartacus :crazy: