Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone watching Sochi winter Olympics?

[ar...]

Watching Sochi from Oz. We have our largest team ever this year. Even a couple of Aussie comedians Roy Slavin ( John Doyle) & H.G. Nelson  broadcasting from Sochi. Not expecting a heap of Aussie medals though... but we're even got a bobsled team this year.

Oh yes I'm watching. I've gone from tennis to football and now to the Olympics.

I used to figure skate (badly) so I like to watch skating.  I also ski (pretty well) so that is something I enjoy as well, especially moguls. In my younger years I would spend entire days skiing moguls. 

I will be glued to the television for the next 2 weeks I'm sure.  :)

pianogirl

I have been waiting for the olympics.  I make coupons and we bet on events, the coupons are for  1 dinner out with babysitting,  bring me your laundry for 2 wks, dusting my house for a month etc.  I must confess I gave myself a "better" coupon.  Take care and enjoy the olympics!!        Kay

Hi Pianogirl & Bkx

Yes I used to ski too, & some moguls but slowly in moguls much faster on the piste. Apparently the infrastructure is poor at Sochi.

Coupon betting sounds a good idea.

My son- in -law's brother was at the Super Bowl, he's very involved with Aussie football & was sent by a sponsor of both. He was an Olympic coach but retired after Beijing (triathlon).

My skiing experience is funny.  About the second time I went skiing and a few lessons my girlfriend thought it would be funny to take me to the top of the expert slope.  I looked down the hill and said, "what are those?"  and she said, "they're moguls, you need to ski around them."  Well, I never was too afraid, so I took off and, "bump, bump, bump" right over the top of em and wiped out.  slid on my butt most of the way down the slope.  I like watching the ice skating.

[7b...]

My skiing experience is funny.  About the second time I went skiing and a few lessons my girlfriend thought it would be funny to take me to the top of the expert slope.  I looked down the hill and said, "what are those?"  and she said, "they're moguls, you need to ski around them."  Well, I never was too afraid, so I took off and, "bump, bump, bump" right over the top of em and wiped out.  slid on my butt most of the way down the slope.  I like watching the ice skating.

OMG Becks, this is what happened to me. I knew nothing about Black runs. My ex, sent me in the direction of the moguls. Yes it was a set up. I was on them before I realized where I was. When I got near the bottom, I just yelled "look out below, I am out of control" and ditched myself in a snow bank. lol  :laugh:

That was the first and last time I went downhill skiing. Love cross country and snowshoeing......

And yes I am watching the Olympics......love them.  :thumbsup:

Take care, mandala

My son- in -law's brother was at the Super Bowl, he's very involved with Aussie football & was sent by a sponsor of both. He was an Olympic coach but retired after Beijing (triathlon).

My friend's son went to the Super Bowl also, but got snowed in and was delayed coming back. 

An Olympic coach, wow, that is really interesting.  I have friends who have done triathlons.  I cycle and swim but I actually hate to run. 

Mandala and Becks,

I know many people who were left stranded on black slopes.  So not nice!!!  :tickedoff:

I am a pretty controlled mogul skier but have had some high speed "bail outs" and a few pretty spectacular falls.  ::)

The Russian was faultless but I also liked the grace of the Italian. Hard to compare between the 2 as the Russian is still very much a child.

I love CC skiing but don't get to do much of it these days & have the skills for downhill but was always too much of a scaredy cat to launch myself into space so am in awe of the jumpers & boarders.

Well, listening to  Steven Lee commentate, he was our best downhiller since Malcolm Milne, but is retired now. The Austrians should win. Wouldn't mind skiing more see what happens...

Prefer the speed skating .

You seem pretty sporty ihope. Snow in Oz is not the best and a very short season .

Mostly into hiking & kayaking these days, most of my friends who still ski seem to go to Japan, US & Canada.

Am enjoying the slope style boarding & skating the most.

Hope you are having a good summer, Arafura.

Ihope you must be strong for kayaking .

Yes, tons of Aussies in Canada, seasonal workers too. My son has just returned from 10 days in Japan went to 3 different resorts, & speaks Japanese so makes it more interesting. He went with some ex Grammar mates, though he's 32 now. Tells me I should go to

Niseko, as a lot of English is spoken there. The U.S. yeah was last there in 2000.

There's a good Aussie girl down hill racer from Perth but she's only 18. Snow boarder that Torah Bright has had too many concussions.

Have a good summer too, ihope.

I used to be on the local speed skating team so I like to watch those guys.

Where I used to skate and work out I fell in love with one of the figure skaters named Myra.   

Ooh La La .  .  .  :smitten:

River

Wow, River Wolf that's impressive. Those blades are so long & sharp. I love the speed skating!

Can understand you fell for that figure skater  ;).

I prefer to watch the speed skating to the ice hockey.

The short track is on next. Australia got a medal a few years ago when all the best Chinese & Koreans got knocked over in the final, leaving Steven Bradbury to come in and win the gold medal  :D.....,

Actually it's the curling  :D :D not much of that here!

Wow, River Wolf that's impressive. Those blades are so long & sharp. I love the speed skating!

Can understand you fell for that figure skater  ;).

You know I never felt safe with those sharp blades. Sometimes several of us would crash at full speed and it would be a**holes and elbows and sharp skates flying all over the place.

I wrecked my knee from a bad crash and had ten years of pain but it kept me out of Viet Nam and I lived to tell about that figure skater - what an Angel.

I still think of her often.  :smitten:

And I know she still thinks of me. . .

Yeah very dangerous really . I do skate ( much better than that reporter guy in the video), but am a better skier.

My first H. Was in Vietnam but in sigs an officer at Vung Tau, he never spoke about it, but I was shocked at the War museum in HCM city -at the brutality when I visited last year.

Saw the heats that  C. Hamlin doesn't touch the ice for balance, as the others do with special gloves.

Um romances takes me back, whatever happened to that kiwi ski bum / ex lawyer I met in Courmayeur, Italy.....who used to drive a huge tractor on Koolum island off WA. Between skiing, could save up there.

Seems like Myra made a big impression on you .... :thumbsup:

[20...]

Yes, a great distraction.  Trying to stay "in the moment" helps.

PG, your talents never cease to amaze me.

I used to be a downhill (open GS my best event) and cross country ski racer.  I'm driving my family crazy with my commentary.  Many of the skiers and snowboarders train on the very mountain on which I raced. 

Now I need to watch mogul skiing and drive my family even more nuts.

Yes, a great distraction.  Trying to stay "in the moment" helps.

PG, your talents never cease to amaze me.

I used to be a downhill (open GS my best event) and cross country ski racer.  I'm driving my family crazy with my commentary.  Many of the skiers and snowboarders train on the very mountain on which I raced. 

Now I need to watch mogul skiing and drive my family even more nuts.

I am very impressed!!  I have never had any ambition to race but I love to watch the races.  With GS you pick up some pretty good speed. 

The snow is not ideal for the skiers in Sochi, it is so warm.  Personally I like a nice cushion in the bumps, but the pros like it hard and firm. 

Bode didn't do well at all in the downhill final, but his attitude has always bothered me. Plus the fact that he felt he could party all night and still win a race. 

I used to be on the local speed skating team so I like to watch those guys.

Where I used to skate and work out I fell in love with one of the figure skaters named Myra.   

Ooh La La .  .  .  :smitten:

River

River,

You are a man of many talents!!  Finding love on the rink, it brings back memories to me as well.  :smitten:

PG

[20...]

PG... A little off point:

Disappointed to hear of Bode's partying.  A shame. I would hate to see another athlete go down due to drug use, legal or illegal.  Regrettably, there is a lot of recreational drug use among downhill ski racers and "boarders."  Well, we can just about extend PED's to any sport these days.

Let's hope for some nice clean events!

• 2 weeks later...
[7b...]

WOW Canada!  :thumbsup::smitten:

Yup, awesome.  :thumbsup: Very well done. I can't remember when I have enjoyed the Olympic Games as much as I did this time around. Very moving in many ways.  :)

WOW Canada!  :thumbsup::smitten:

Yup, awesome.  :thumbsup: Very well done. I can't remember when I have enjoyed the Olympic Games as much as I did this time around. Very moving in many ways.  :)

Yes indeed this is a very good day to be Canadian despite the awful weather.

Did the bars open at 5AM in your part of the country Mandala? They did here in Alberta.

Sending you a cyber maple dip donut from you-know-where ...  :thumbsup:

Chinook :)