Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

saddened by the loss of philip seymour hoffman

[pr...]

what else can i say?

pretty much reeling in it tonight. i really loved this man and his work. he made me laugh, he made me stunned by his moving performances.

It is definitely a big loss, he was one of the truly gifted actors of this era... I had no idea he had substance abuse problems...very shocking news...

i didn't know he had a problem either or that he had 23 years sober?

now, on the news they were saying that after 23 years sober he started using some prescription medication which supposedly led him back on the heroin and he just got out of a detox center last month or a few months ago. this is so sad to me, i really adored his work!

fucking prescriptioin pills! sorry, i'm so mad at that right now how easy it is to get them :tickedoff:

also on the news they were saying that justin bieber's stint on xanax is going to have ET show investigate "Xanax in Hollywood"

maybe things are getting out there a little bit more?!?

Wow. He was a really good actor.  I am not all that suprised though.  He was so talented and edgy, people like that tend to do drugs.  He was so good in "Capote". 

now, on the news they were saying that after 23 years sober he started using some prescription medication which supposedly led him back on the heroin and he just got out of a detox center last month or a few months ago. this is so sad to me, i really adored his work!

fucking prescriptioin pills! sorry, i'm so mad at that right now how easy it is to get them :tickedoff:

also on the news they were saying that justin bieber's stint on xanax is going to have ET show investigate "Xanax in Hollywood"

i doubt it. Whitney houston was bigger than bieber and xanax was found in her room when she died.

no one looked in to it.

i doubt it. Whitney houston was bigger than bieber and xanax was found in her room when she died.

no one looked in to it.

Yeah, I agree with Gardenia, it's sad but it's been going on for ages. In too many cases of OD and suicide there are psych meds involved. One has to wonder why does this happen and why there's almost no known reports on this big issue.

[5a...]

Elvis Presley, died of a heart attack brought on by prescription drug overdose. He was bigger than all of them and the well known fact that he was addicted Benzos and many other drugs was totally overlooked.

Dont most American politicians sit on the boards of big Pharma?  That would account for why this problem keeps getting swept under the mat.

[7b...]

Dont most American politicians sit on the boards of big Pharma?  That would account for why this problem keeps getting swept under the mat.

Yes and it's a known fact that many drs who contribute to the DSM V have ties to big pharma as well. Nothing surprises me anymore  :)

what is DSM V?

i'm sure the politicians sit in with Big Pharma. i know this is probably another discussion for a whole other board but i also wonder about Illuminati as far as ties with Big Pharma and some of these deaths like Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson?

it's just a thought & wonderment since i researed it a little bit and i am interested in researching it some more. gotta stay safe, right? :sick:

i also loved Hoffman in 'Along Came Polly" too, he was hysterical in that. one of my very favorite performances of everyone in this film was "The Ides of March"-- Hoffman, Gosling and even Clooney. what a portrayal of the underground nastiness of the political world. they don't even flinch!

OK, yes, this is sad, but it also makes me wonder if it might have made a difference for Hoffman to have had a group like this. Not that BB keeps people from leaving and checking out, but at least people have a place to turn to FIRST before they do that.

The full truth about benzos will not come out until they are no longer prescribed. Tobacco is still fighting back against the truth coming out. Look at what is still going on in China.

http://world.time.com/2014/01/29/china-bans-smoking-in-schools/

Try to imagine cigarette ads in our schools, selling cigarettes in our school canteens. That seems impossible, yet when we see films about life in the US going back a few decades, you see people smoking on air, in offices, everywhere.

It's really quite horrifying...

[7b...]

what is DSM V?

DSM is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual etc see below

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, abbreviated as DSM-5, is the 2013 update to the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) classification and diagnostic tool. In the United States the DSM serves as a universal authority for psychiatric diagnosis. Treatment recommendations, as well as payment by health care providers, are often determined by DSM classifications, so the appearance of a new version has significant practical importance.

In this new one they have included Grief as a Psychiatric Disorder. Interestingly, they have w/d from illicit drugs as a disorder but nothing about prescribed drugs..........Don't get me started lol  ;)

what is DSM V?

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, abbreviated as DSM-5, is the 2013 update to the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) classification and diagnostic tool. In the United States the DSM serves as a universal authority for psychiatric diagnosis. Treatment recommendations, as well as payment by health care providers, are often determined by DSM classifications, so the appearance of a new version has significant practical importance.

In this new one they have included Grief as a Psychiatric Disorder. Interestingly, they have w/d from illicit drugs as a disorder but nothing about prescribed drugs..........Don't get me started lol  ;)

Has Xanax been reclassified? If so, where?

[7b...]

what is DSM V?

Has Xanax been reclassified? If so, where?

Not that I know of. I was just saying that it's a "sham" that they recognize a w/d syndrome from illicit drugs/drugs of abuse as a "legitimate" disorder but not a w/d syndrome from drugs taken as prescribed. Of course they are not going to recognize this. That would be iatrogenic illness.

This came to my attention in 2012 when my "then dr" was filling out forms for disability. I was in acute w/d. (which she refused to believe and told me to read the book "Mind over Mood". Actually I could barely see at the time. Anyway, she wrote down Major Depressive Disorder as a diagnosis. I told her I DID NOT have MDD. She said we have to write something down or the insurance company won't be "happy". Then she said to me that there is no category in the DSM for w/d from prescribed substances...........says it all doesn't it?

As far as including Grief as a new psychiatric diagnosis.... they are working very hard at medicalizing pretty much every normal human emotion. A broader diagnostic category = more prescriptions.

I'm not really familiar with this actor because I haven't been going to the cinema in some time although I would like to see his portrayal of Truman Capote whose work I so admire.

As for the coverage of his passing, this sort of post mortem of his personal life must be excrutiatingly painful to his family. I find the whole thing macabre and distasteful.

Elvis Presley, died of a heart attack brought on by prescription drug overdose. He was bigger than all of them and the well known fact that he was addicted Benzos and many other drugs was totally overlooked.

i think it was looked into. his Dr had his license revoked?

many others have died from heroin od.

i think eric clapton had a habit. he overcame it.

I saw the laundry list of "prescription Medications" they found in his apartment. They were all drugs commonly taken after brutal short term detoxes, not a single benzo or oxy among them. I'm wondering if he was detox ed for benzos, remained abstinent, and began using the heroin as a way to relieve benzo we sx..

God bless him and his family.

I saw the laundry list of "prescription Medications" they found in his apartment. They were all drugs commonly taken after brutal short term detoxes, not a single benzo or oxy among them. I'm wondering if he was detox ed for benzos, remained abstinent, and began using the heroin as a way to relieve benzo we sx..

God bless him and his family.

Yeah, it could well be. Benzos to alleviate w/d from heroin and heroin to alleviate w/d from benzos, I mean for someone who's used heroin in his past is not so far fetched, same with alcohol for that matter. It's a catch 22 really.

how to know what's true? now i just read that they found 70 bags of heroin in his apartment and they testing for that opiate fentanyl. i think one source said there wasn't any so far.

Chinook,

you will love his performance as Capote in 'Capote'...

Onelove, where did you read about the 'prescription meds?"

i still can't believe after 23 years of sobriety this so called 'disease of addiction' can rear it's head again. but it did for Robin Willimams after 20 years-- and many other people. it did for me after 7 years. i got lucky for some reason. although i am suffering horribly right at this moment still. God i need relief!!

i am starting to see how my mind made me believe there was really something worng with me like having "MS" back then when i got back on the klonopin. true, i really was very confused and didn't know about protracted. but some how my mind got me to take klonopin again. and it was really needed at the time but only for a short time. that's what i have to always be careful about this time around.

i remember another singer/songwriter who is quite well known told me this as i was struggling to once again get off the benzo's. i didn't believe her then, i do now.

how to know what's true? now i just read that they found 70 bags of heroin in his apartment and they testing for that opiate fentanyl. i think one source said there wasn't any so far.

Chinook,

you will love his performance as Capote in 'Capote'...

Onelove, where did you read about the 'pre

i still can't believe after 23 years of sobriety this so called 'disease of addiction' can rear it's head again. but it did for Robin Willimams after 20 years-- and many other people. it did for me after 7 years. i got lucky for some reason. although i am suffering horribly right at this moment still. God i need relief!!

i am starting to see how my mind made me believe there was really something worng with me like having "MS" back then when i got back on the klonopin. true, i really was very confused and didn't know about protracted. but some how my mind got me to take klonopin again. and it was really needed at the time but only for a short time. that's what i have to always be careful about this time around.

i remember another singer/songwriter who is quite well known told me this as i was struggling to once again get off the benzo's. i didn't believe her then, i do now.

I'll look forward to watching it Pretty and maybe some of his other movies as well.

See, what I find sad is the fact that this man, who from what I've heard was a marvelous actor, may not be remembered for his contributions to his craft but rather his struggles with addiction which has seemingly overshadowed everything else.

It frustrates me that there are thousands and thousand of addicts dying every day alone in alleys and on the streets and nobody cares about them, nobody seems to understand that all human beings are a gift waiting to be given.

It's only when it's a celebrity that people seem to notice or care.

I find that sad.

I don't think his personal life, or even his last days, should be open for public scrutiny. I know if that were my father or my son or my brother I would be horrified.

well, i've been watching the news every night since for any updates and not too much so maybe they have a handle on the privacy issue for Philip.

and he was such a strong presence and amazing actor that i do think he will be rememberd (at least by the entertainment community and his peers) for his acting ability. every one and i mean every single person i've heard talk about him from news casters to elderly people on the street talked about what a great actor he was.

i feel good that i picked him out all the way back to when he was in 'Scent of a Women' and could see his potential and he just rose and rose.  :)  the thing that confuses me about some of these actor's and people in the entertainment industry is how they do both use (addiction) and work. i surely couldn't do it. i guess everyone has their own "tolerance' or level and i passed mine up and became bed ridden. but i don't know how some people do it?

but it is sad how many people are doing this on the cold street. i pray and think about them often. especially when i am feeling at my worst and it's really cold outside. i think of them and say a little prayer that they make it through. if we had a better system, people would understand addiction and 'accidental addict' a little better and we could all can the right help that we need.

but sorely

:'(