Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How Old Are You?

[Sl...]

I just turned 34. I used to feel like I was 134, now maybe only 94?

As you know I turned 65 last October. But while I was running, I felt more like 50. Then in November, while I was running faster and faster, I felt more like 40. By the beginning of December, when my training got me down to three miles in 27 minutes, I felt like I was about 25 again, because I was never a good runner (I was a swimmer), and running 1.5 miles in 12 minutes was hard for me even when I was young and fit.

Of course I was the same aging senior citizen last year as I was before or afterwards, but it reminded me that when we have a goal, and when we keep on working toward that goal, and when we start to achieve that goal, time and age does not matter much. If we feel success, the only thing that matters is the success.

Withdrawal is the dream of a goal. Our goal is to get off a drug, but it is also to feel better than we ever felt on the drug, and more - as good as we felt before we took the drug.

Some of us never felt all that good. There are people here who are still in their teens who were put on these drugs because they already felt awful (for various reasons) while they were barely old than their preteens.

I know this thread is about chronological age, but I have been unable to run or even move at a good pace for almost two months, and in that time I felt like I went from about 25 to 125. For me this was due to an injury and having to stop making progress in fitness, but there are a million reasons why people getting off benzos feel like they are aging about 10 years per day.

We stop being able to set goals, or do the things we used to do.

I realized this tonight because I was able to finally move nearly full speed for the first time in more than two months, and I got my window back. As I started to move well, I realized that I did not feel old any more, and right now, after having felt good again, I'm realizing that there is something going on here, for all of us, that is about far more than benzos.

I'm just not quite sure yet what that is.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sl...]

• [ba...]

• [...]

• [sn...]

Top Posters In This Topic

gaer,

I have not been following this thread and when I saw it this morning and read your post I really identified with it. I was a runner for years. So fit. So easy for me. I ran 7 miles most of the time and 10 miles when I felt really good. 10 miles in about 70 minutes. I switched to boot camp videos when I got sick. I switched to less aggressive tapes when I started to spiral down. I switched to toning tapes because I could lie on the floor. I feel so out of shape. My weight has not changed but I look so different. I get out of bed and keep going. That is exercise to me now. :'( The cumulative result of years of being devoted were murdered by my klonopin w/d. It is my hope to regain my endurance at some point.

CC

53; however, lately I'm feeling about 63 and aging more everyday.

If you want a good laugh...watch this skit.  If only it were this easy to make all the Benzo stuff stop...by just saying "STOP IT"!

Hope it gave you a laugh...after all that is the best medicine :laugh:

FB :thumbsup:

53; however, lately I'm feeling about 63 and aging more everyday.

If you want a good laugh...watch this skit.  If only it were this easy to make all the Benzo stuff stop...by just saying "STOP IT"!

Hope it gave you a laugh...after all that is the best medicine :laugh:

FB :thumbsup:

FB Thanks for that. :) That was hilarious. :laugh: I wish it was that easy.  8)

Snoball >:D

Heh.. lol, good old Bob Newhart show.. the OLD one.  I'm old, so it was quite

a nostalgia trip for me watching that, not to mention just plan perfect for this

forum!  :laugh:   

Thank you, Flutterbyee.    :thumbsup:

- Slappy Magee

:( i dont want to sound rude or mean i just  noticed many of you people here are middle aged like the age of my parents is life really that bad ??

im 23 i worry that i wont live to be 50 if im needing to take these yucky meds :/

Hi BabyAngel. :) Please don't worry. There are many people who have been through alot who are older than you. They made it through and are doing quite well. I bet you will bounce back quickly. :)

Snoball

I'm 30.

I have no idea what's happened in the 1 1/2 years since I decided to quit benzos forever. Life was weird enough before that with on and off SSRI, benzo prescriptions.

I can only hope I will live long and healthy enough to put this experience behind.

:(

Sorry for the depressing post. It's a nice thread though.

I'm 30.

I have no idea what's happened in the 1 1/2 years since I decided to quit benzos forever. Life was weird enough before that with on and off SSRI, benzo prescriptions.

I can only hope I will live long and healthy enough to put this experience behind.

:(

Sorry for the depressing post. It's a nice thread though.

Your hope will come to fruition, hurtbrain.  It really will.

You want it to, plus you're doing the work necessary.  :thumbsup:

Hang in there.  :)

- Slappy

slappy your nickname reminds me of a old internet phrase "Slaps around a bit with a large trout" :D i used to see that often in chat places long long ago  , thats weird that randomly get memory flashbacks often of stuff that happened 10+yrs ago :laugh:

Yeah...I like that name Slappy ;) Its cool. It reminds me of that puppet character on Goosebumps show back in the 90s. His name was Slappy. He was cool. 8) Good OL Slappy. I wish I chose that name. >:D Plus it rhymes with Happy. :)

P.S. Nice thread. 8)

Thanks you guys.  :)

When I was a kid "slap happy" was a phrase used to describe a person who

came upon sudden good fortune, no matter how small.  Maybe just a good

grade on a test, or maybe finding something he really liked in his lunch pail.

"Look at Joey, he's slap happy today." 

Stuff like that.  :D

- Slappy

i wished the moderators posted here i wonder how old they are :P  :D :D

Having been a mod in a smart phone forum for over two years, I can tell you with little doubt that mods

age at 10 times the rate of the members. 

So, I'm guessing most of them are around 299 or so here.  >:D

:laugh:  :D  LOL .. etc.. 

- Slappy

I'm a youngin!

18 :thumbsup:

Wow, I just read you were on K already for 3 years. That's scary... :(

Do you think that's effected my brain devolpement?  :o

No. I think the younger you are, in general, the quicker you bounce back from these drugs, on average. But there is a huge variation between different people the same age, obviously. Mostly I am shocked that doctors give these drugs to people who are so young, before they have lived long enough to understand what is being done to them.

Gary

Touché

I'm 21. I've learned some important life lessons I'll tell you what...

I like your sig: "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -WSC

I assume you have read about his "Black Dog". :)

Gary