Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Are there any other tennis fans in BB?

[...]

Obviously this has nothing to do with benzos, but watching tennis is one my main ways of distracting. I probably watch tennis channel a couple hours each night.

Are there any other people who watch tennis? Any other people who have been following the Australian Open?

Love tennis. Go to the US Open once or twice a year. Went to Wimbledon a few years ago during my trip to London. I am working now so don't have much time to watch the Australian Open. I will be off tomorrow so will see if I can catch it. I see you are watching it at night. That will b easier to do.

Love tennis. Go to the US Open once or twice a year. Went to Wimbledon a few years ago during my trip to London. I am working now so don't have much time to watch the Australian Open. I will be off tomorrow so will see if I can catch it. I see you are watching it at night. That will b easier to do.

I record everything of interest on the Tennis Channel. I am very impatient, so I can't even stand waiting for the short time of the breaks (while watching TV). So I fast forward through breaks, and I fast forward sometimes even between points. But I will also replay interesting things many times, a point, or I will slow things down.

I'm fascinated right now because Federer is playing like he has not played in some time. The real "final" will be between Federer and Nadal, because they were on the same side of the draw. ;)

I love Nadal. Tennis is so much fun to watch. Don't play it very well. I'll let you know if I wind up watching it.

It's fascinating to me that Nadal was sidelined for 7 months with a knee injury, and many people did not know if he would play again.

Yet at the same time people were assuming that Federer was washed up at age 32.

It will be an interesting match between them!

I LOVE tennis!  :smitten:

Sadly I was sidelined all last season because I needed rotator cuff surgery.  I can't wait to get back on the court now.  For years I played every league and tournament there was in my area.  In the summer I was on the tennis court pretty much every day.  I consider myself retired from competitive tennis now, I lack the drive at this point in my life. After BW, some of the petty issues that transpire on the teams seems silly to me.

I missed the match between Nadal and Federer, but I see Nadal won in straight sets. He has such amazing intensity on each and every point.  Federer at his prime was smooth as silk on the court, his strokes almost looked effortless.  I didn't like his attitude when he was winning everything, I think the year he went to Wimbledon with his monogrammed everything I got kind of turned off. 

pianogirl

I LOVE tennis!  :smitten:

Sadly I was sidelined all last season because I needed rotator cuff surgery.  I can't wait to get back on the court now.  For years I played every league and tournament there was in my area.  In the summer I was on the tennis court pretty much every day.  I consider myself retired from competitive tennis now, I lack the drive at this point in my life. After BW, some of the petty issues that transpire on the teams seems silly to me.

I completely pulled away from competition decades ago because it always brought out my very WORST character traits. :)

I missed the match between Nadal and Federer, but I see Nadal won in straight sets. He has such amazing intensity on each and every point.

It started out way closer than it looks. Federer has been playing better than he has in a long time, and without doubt his change to a larger racket head has helped. But I have huge doubts about anyone totally dominating the sport as it is played today with a one-handed backhand. Nadal is an animal, and I mean that in a positive way. I don't think have seen that focused drive in anyone since Conners, but Nadal seems to me a much nicer person.

Federer at his prime was smooth as silk on the court, his strokes almost looked effortless.  I didn't like his attitude when he was winning everything, I think the year he went to Wimbledon with his monogrammed everything I got kind of turned off.

I think the more dominant a player is, the harder it is to come down from that. His strokes still look more effortless than anyone else's, when he has a good day and confidence, but there are odd shanks and other things that go wrong now. When he does something awkward, it's like seeing a cat lose its balance.

These guys all hit the top of their careers in their 20s, and a few remarkable one still have major wins in their 30s, but that is unusual. I can't imagine doing something where you hit your peak in your 20s. What did any of us KNOW about life at that age? :)

By the way, Nadal has been playing with a nasty blister in the palm of his hand. He is not at his very best right now, which makes you wonder what it takes to beat this guy!

Gary  :smitten:

Didn't watch the game, but just heard on the news that Nadal won. I am happy about that. Heard it was nothing short of a great match.

I would not rate it as a great match. Federer looked like a beaten man by the time they got to the 3rd set, and he had a huge number of unforced errors. Nadal just kept attacking his backhand. Almost all his serves were to the backhand. It was like he was daring Federer to attack, and he couldn't.

The big question now is Nadal's hand (palm). If he can make it through one more match with his hand taped, I don't see how Wawrinka has a chance. I think now the only person who can stop Nadal when he is playing at a high level is Djokovic.

I didn't expect Federer to win today, but I did expect it to be closer. And if the first set tie-breaker had gone the other way, it might have been a very different match...

I completely pulled away from competition decades ago because it always brought out my very WORST character traits. :)

I think competition brings out the worse in just about everyone. I can remember so many really petty issues and so many hurt feelings.  On top of that, there was the win at all costs, including making bad calls.  I tried to remind people that we are doing this for fun - not for money.  ::)

These guys all hit the top of their careers in their 20s, and a few remarkable one still have major wins in their 30s, but that is unusual. I can't imagine doing something where you hit your peak in your 20s. What did any of us KNOW about life at that age? :)

It's hard to keep the body in good condition for a long time. The hard courts are really damaging and the constant travel is tiring.  Every major tournament is 2 weeks long. It's a tough road.  I suppose if you lose early you would get more rest.  I did/ that is/ lose early... many times. 

The big question now is Nadal's hand (palm). If he can make it through one more match with his hand taped, I don't see how Wawrinka has a chance. I think now the only person who can stop Nadal when he is playing at a high level is Djokovic.

I didn't expect Federer to win today, but I did expect it to be closer. And if the first set tie-breaker had gone the other way, it might have been a very different match...

I saw the blister on Nadal's hand, it's pretty ugly. He's played hurt a lot, so many players do these days.  It's possible that Wawrinka might be the man to beat this year, he sure has come on strong lately.  Still, Nadal has so many weapons to draw upon.  I plan to watch the match for sure.  It will be very interesting. 

On the women's side it's a pretty weak field right now. Li Na is very good but not a powerhouse player. I really don't know the person she will be playing.

pianogirl  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

I love to watch tennis.  Can't play worth a crap but love to watch. I was so disappointed when roddick retired. I really like rafa but I will always be a roger federer fan. He genuinely seems to be a gentleman and just a good guy. I am old enough to have watched McEnroe, agassi, martina, chrissy and watching tennis does relax me for awhile

Its nice to have something to quiet my mind for awhile.      Kay      loved arthur ashe

My spelling has gone but I hope it will make sense

I love to watch tennis.  Can't play worth a crap but love to watch. I was so disappointed when roddick retired. I really like rafa but I will always be a roger federer fan. He genuinely seems to be a gentleman and just a good guy.

I want to see someone younger come along and play like Roger. I want to see someone play that kind of effortless tennis. Roger is like an artist, but I'm not sure there is a place for him now. In today's tennis winning the big ones past the age of 30 is really hard. Roger will be 33 this next summer.

I did want to see Nadal win the Australian Open. It would have given him two career grand slams, which I think was only done twice before in the modern era.

I am old enough to have watched McEnroe, agassi, martina, chrissy and watching tennis does relax me for awhile

I remember all of those people. I never got to see Pancho Gonzales play. I remember Laver and Rosewall. It's hard to believe they all played with wooden rackets. You can read about the amazing Gonzales serve, which was about 90 MPH. The top women server faster now, but it's the strings and the rackets that give them all that power.

I didn't like McEnroe at the time. I thought he was an arrogant jerk, and I used to wish that someone would deck him. But I like him now as an announcer, and I think he had one of the most interesting games ever. He was another artist.

I saw some of the Australian open . Bernard Tomic retired injured. It's exciting to watch at times.

That's a rough crowd. They booed him. I guess they thought he was faking. They expect people to permanently injure themselves just to please them, the audience.

They did the same to Nadal because he left the court for treatment - even thought he had both a blister and then a back injury that made it impossible to serve or move properly.

Yes, Gaer Aussies expect a lot of their tennis players, though the game is a lot more competitive these days .Philopoussis was a disappointment. Rafter has retired. Tomic has been hit & miss.

I saw a doc. on T.V of the great  Rod Laver "the Rocket" recently, gee it brought back memories of John Newcombe, Lew Hoad & all the early players, Margaret Court & Yyonne Goolagong. Tennis was very big in Oz when I was growing up. ( My parents now deceased met at a tennis social.) A lot of houses with tennis courts have been sold off & subdivided.

I saw a doc. on T.V of the great  Rod Laver "the Rocket" recently, gee it brought back memories of John Newcombe, Lew Hoad & all the early players, Margaret Court & Yyonne Goolagong. Tennis was very big in Oz when I was growing up. ( My parents now deceased met at a tennis social.) A lot of houses with tennis courts have been sold off & subdivided.

Lew Hoad is the only you mentioned that I never saw on TV playing matches. But Laver would be near the top of my list for bets players of all time. He was amazing in so many ways, and he was such a class act.

I love to watch tennis. It looks like on the board I am the only one that likes Federer.  I just absolutely love roger. I miss roddick playing, I would like to see more of venus but considering her health issues, I don't know if  that will happen we have to wait and see    Kay

• 3 weeks later...

I love to watch tennis. It looks like on the board I am the only one that likes Federer.  I just absolutely love roger. I miss roddick playing, I would like to see more of venus but considering her health issues, I don't know if  that will happen we have to wait and see    Kay

I love watching Federer play. My only worry is that he will no longer be able to play on the highest level now, because of his age.

I played tennis for competitive USTA tennis for 20 years.  Our team went to Nationals 3 times.  20 years ago a back injury sidelined me and I got into Dog Sports.  I show dogs in Conformation, Obedience, Nosework, Rally Obedience and Water Work.  Now I am sidelined from that due to stupid withdrawals.  Since I have the burning skin, I cannot go out into the sun, waaah!

But to get back to Nadal, I love watching the rituals he goes through before he serves!  I think he has a little OCD going for him.  I also noticed that a lot of the players have their rituals, eg, Serena Williams bounces the ball 3 times before her first serve and twice before her second serve!  :-*

I played tennis for competitive USTA tennis for 20 years.  Our team went to Nationals 3 times.  20 years ago a back injury sidelined me and I got into Dog Sports.  I show dogs in Conformation, Obedience, Nosework, Rally Obedience and Water Work.  Now I am sidelined from that due to stupid withdrawals.  Since I have the burning skin, I cannot go out into the sun, waaah!

But to get back to Nadal, I love watching the rituals he goes through before he serves!  I think he has a little OCD going for him.  I also noticed that a lot of the players have their rituals, eg, Serena Williams bounces the ball 3 times before her first serve and twice before her second serve!  :-*

Nationals 3 times, wow! Impressive. I went to the local playoffs many times but our teams never made it beyond that. I have a few trophies (collecting dust) from tournaments.  I missed a whole year of playing due to rotator cuff tears and surgery and I'm anxious to get back on the court. Of course I will be pretty awful after such a long hiatus.

All the players have rituals to help them focus but Nadal's is certainly over the top.  Have you seen how he has to place his water bottles just at the right angle? 

I went to a lot of tennis camps and we were told to develop a ritual.  I had one: I prayed to whatever and whoever to just let my serve go in.  :laugh:

Nadal is an animal. ;)

I love his intensity. There's a lot to enjoy.

The OCD stuff gets worse every year. So far it certainly has not hurt his play. I just hope he does not have more problems with his knees or back.

Federer looked really solid yesterday. I like the way he is now more aggressive at the net. Now, if he can play that solid against the very top players it would be cool.:)