Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Good film/movie thread

[Th...]

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pr...]

• [ea...]

• [...]

• [ba...]

Gardenia, yes, I've seen 'The Wrestler' but it was a long time ago so I don't remember it very well. Mickey Rourke was up for an Oscar for that, right? I do remember it being a very poignant movie.

Pretty, yes, I saw 'Flight' last year(?) or the year before(?). It was a very different role for Denzel, wasn't it? He did a good job in that movie, for sure.

'All is Lost' is Robert Redford's most recent movie. It was a big Sundance hit and he claimed that it didn't get nominated for any Oscars because advertising was flubbed by the studios involved. It's about a man (Redford) lost at sea. And that's all I'm going to say just in case anyone wants to see it. I love movies, books, basically anything having to do with how one survives (or doesn't) in dire situations. Maybe I thought the movie was just "meh" because I've seen it done much better before.

The movie I'm really waiting to see right now is 'August: Osage County' but it's still not out on DVD. poo. :(

koko

Maybe I thought the movie was just "meh" because I've seen it done much better before.

The movie I'm really waiting to see right now is 'August: Osage County' but it's still not out on DVD. poo. :(

oh, i didn't know what (meh) meant and i thought it was part of the title :laugh:

i want to see 'August: Osage County'  and that Captain something with Tom Hanks.

i love The Wrestler and have seen in lot's of times. they were both wonderful in it. Marissa and Mickey.

Denzel was excellent in Flight and i think it was a different role for him. i find him a bit arrogant so i wasn't much into him and i just recently watched an interview that was a few years old and he was his arrogant self. but then i decided to watch some 'Flight" interviews with him and he was better -- so i'm hoping he is a bit more humbled now. probably not ???

Captain Phillips, pretty. I liked that movie. It wasn't superb or anything like that but very few movies keep me watching from beginning to end without a little bit of boredom here and there. But I wasn't bored once while watching Captain Phillips. And that guy nominated for Best Supporting Actor? The cab driver (IRL)? He was amazing for a first timer. I didn't even know he was nominated when I saw the movie and after we watched it I was, like, "Wow, that guy was good! Really good! He should have been nominated for an Oscar." LOL

Overcomer, I don't think I've seen Gran Torino. You'll probably laugh but I think the movie I liked best that Clint Eastwood starred in was 'Play Misty for Me'. Geez, I'm really dating myself here ... that movie is old!  ???

Last night we just started watching the HBO series 'True Detective'. Just the first episode. The episode was kind of strange but the acting is stellar (Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughy). MM is actually maybe going to make history this year by being the first ever actor to win both an Oscar for Best Actor and an Emmy for Best Actor TV or mini series in the same year. I love this stuff. Always have. :)

koko

Of course both Helen Hunt and Helen Mirren have won Oscars and Emmys in the same year. I guess it takes a Helen or two!  ;D

'Play Misty for Me'. Geez, I'm really dating myself here ... that movie is old!  ???

Last night we just started watching the HBO series 'True Detective'. Just the first episode. The episode was kind of strange but the acting is stellar (Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughy). MM is actually maybe going to make history this year by being the first ever actor to win both an Oscar for Best Actor and an Emmy for Best Actor TV or mini series in the same year. I love this stuff. Always have. :)

koko,

i love Play Misty For Me. i think that movie and From Here To Eternity, any age could and should watch. those are classics and yes i think that was one of Clints best. i've been wanting to watch True Detective and House of Lies. i love Matthew and i agree with you about him making history. i really want to see Dallas Buyers Club too.

i also love Woody Harrelson and just watched him and Mark Ruffalo in 'Now You See Me' which was pretty interesting, not great but interesting and Mark is a cutie. i think Woody Harrelson really beat out Ted Danson from those days on Cheers with his movie career. who knew what kind of actor he was going to become from his bit on Cheers. right on Woody! ;)

Of course both Helen Hunt and Helen Mirren have won Oscars and Emmys in the same year. I guess it takes a Helen or two!  ;D

Hi M,

I didn't know that. Good stuff!

I just read the article all the way through and here's the last paragraph:

"If McConaughey pulls off the Oscar-Emmy year, he'll be the first male actor to do so. The select bunch includes only actresses: Helen Hunt, Meryl Streep, and Helen Mirren. Liza Minnelli also pulled off the feat — it was half of her EGOT (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony); her "Cabaret" director Bob Fosse also scored the double wins."

Bob Fosse. I loved his work.

Pretty,

I can't believe you know that movie. lol. I've never met anyone else who knows of that movie. ha! Did you just happen to catch it on TV or did you see it in the theater? I've always thought you were way younger than me.

I haven't heard of House of Lies. I'll have to look that one up.

Mark Ruffalo reminds me so much of Chris Sarandon. I always get the two mixed up for some reason. :)

koko

Pretty,

I can't believe you know that movie. lol. I've never met anyone else who knows of that movie. ha! Did you just happen to catch it on TV or did you see it in the theater? I've always thought you were way younger than me.

I haven't heard of House of Lies. I'll have to look that one up.

Mark Ruffalo reminds me so much of Chris Sarandon. I always get the two mixed up for some reason. :)

koko

i can't remember where i was but it happened to be on TV one night and i got into it.

to me watching a movie i saw last like over 2 years ago feels like watching a brand new movie all over again , last night on cable tv i saw the movie "Machette" (2010) it was a silly movie a lil gory but i still found it entertaining !!  :laugh:

• 1 month later...
This is kind of an 'odd' movie also, but I really like it...As Good As It Gets...with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt.

The last movie i saw a few days ago was rather new it was called "Escape Plan" starring Arnold Schwartznegar and Sylvester Stalone i liked it alot

• 2 months later...

Loved Grand Torino!!v

Others - Do the Right Thing, The Fisher King, just about anything Eastwood did except the spaghetti westerns. Peggy Sue Got Married. So many others! Love a good movie.

east

Specifically - "Unforgiven" by Eastwood. Loved it. Im having trouble remembering movies. But theres been quite a few I loved. Oh! "The Rose"..........Recently saw "The Doors" and found it disturbing, and also reminded me of how I used to be.

east

Saving Mr. Banks. It's a semi documentary about Walt Disney and his passion for getting Mary Poppins on the movie screen. Tom Hanks plays to the role.  Emma Thompson is the writer of the book and Disney keeps begging her to write the screen play. She's English and insufferable. Walt does everything imaginable to beg her to fly back to LA and start from scratch again. She just flew back to England out of the blue b/c she could not deal with them. So she just up and left. She disagrees and fights with Walt and every other screen writer there. How they managed to get her approval for the screen play is beyond me. Bets

Someone posted a line from the Wolfs of Wall Street on facebook the other day and I got the impression it's another one of those films flaunting drug addiction...you didn't get that impression though? Just wondering.

Yes it does. Also a lot of hooker scenes that I could deal w/o. I thought it was terrible.

pretty,

If you haven't seen Phillip Seymour Hoffman in 'Magnolia', you should check that out. He was excellent in that movie.

You sat next to Jill Clayburgh? Lucky!

koko

I just couldn't jump from  scene to scene and theme to theme. I turned it off after 1 hour of misery watching it.

koko,

i was just watching some youtube video's about Philip and they went through almost all of his films and when Magnolia came up and they showed it for a bit, i thought i looked excellent. i will definitely rent that one. i also wish to see The Talented Mr Ripley.

yeah, i just wish i was brave enough to actually say hello to Jill on the plane. i can't believe the difference in the me now and the teen me :D

pretty

I had to interview Robin Williams and was laughing so loud at his jokes that I didn't even have the time to ask him a question. Truly a very funny guy from the heart. A natural. Never did get the job done.

'Magnolia' is an excellent movie with excellent performances on the parts of the entire cast. It's a movie that I had to watch many times in order to understand even half of it.  ???  A bit of a warning though if you're in a bad state of mind; it is a pretty dark movie that involves some graphic violence, drugs, and death.

I totally understand you being too shy to talk to Jill Clayburgh. When I was 18yrs I met John Travolta in a one-on-one situation and said some of the stupidest things I've ever said in my life. To this day I still cringe when I think about it. I would have been better off keeping my mouth shut.  ::)

koko

Everybody has different tastes so I thought I'd give IMHO ratings on movies based on the best being 5 stars.  ;)  Maybe you guys can rate your watches, too?

Just so you all know what my taste is like, here are some examples of movies I've seen that I consider worth 5 stars:

Forrest Gump

The Godfather

Midnight Express

Taxi Driver

The Deer Hunter

Don't forget an oldie but goodie. "Guess whose Coming to Dinner?"

My most recent watches:

Dallas Buyers Club  --  3.5 stars

-excellent acting; so-so movie

Rush  --  2 stars

-nothing special

Fruitvale Station  --  4 stars

-excellent low budget film

k :D k :D

Someone posted a line from the Wolfs of Wall Street on facebook the other day and I got the impression it's another one of those films flaunting drug addiction...you didn't get that impression though? Just wondering.

Yes it does. Also a lot of hooker scenes that I could deal w/o. I thought it was terrible.

Wolfs was the most boring movie i had ever seen. way too many hooker scenes. whats was up with Scorcese?

Specifically - "Unforgiven" by Eastwood. Loved it. Im having trouble remembering movies. But theres been quite a few I loved. Oh! "The Rose"..........Recently saw "The Doors" and found it disturbing, and also reminded me of how I used to be.

east

I love Clint Eastwood too!

I watched a really cute movie a few nights ago..."You've Got Mail"...remember that one?  With Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

Oh, I forgot Forrest Gump! Loved it, and still quote it from time to time.

Shawshank Redemption was another good one, and The Green Mile. Excellent stuff. Ive seen both many times and always see something new.

east