Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Good film/movie thread

[Th...]

thanks for the suggestions,  i'll definitely check out "Man Facing Southeast".  pretty, i also heard "21 Grams" was good, i'm putting that on my list to see soon too.    a couple more that i liked just popped into my head: "Source Code", and "Inception".    i know, i'm stuck in sci-fi land here lately, i really need to branch out.  any more suggestions?

Z

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pr...]

• [ea...]

• [...]

• [ba...]

thanks for the suggestions,  i'll definitely check out "Man Facing Southeast".  pretty, i also heard "21 Grams" was good, i'm putting that on my list to see soon too.    a couple more that i liked just popped into my head: "Source Code", and "Inception".    i know, i'm stuck in sci-fi land here lately, i really need to branch out.  any more suggestions?

Z

Z,

Source Code is really good. i watched it right after the c/t though and it kinda freaked me out because it had to do with the human brain. but don't worry it's not a freak out movie. i had been hallucinating.

hey, who is that a photo of in your avatar? it kinda looks like keanu reeves but i don't think it is. ??

I watched Princess Mononuke last night. It was good.  7/10  Not as good as I expected ti to be though.  I think I will watch akira next. 

Do any of you know a good anime like Spirited Away?  Thanks!

Some of my favorite anime have been

Grave of the Fireflies

Kiki's Delivery Service

Akira

Ghost in the Shell

Also, this isn't Japanese anime, but two Japanese films I love; Yojimbo and The Hidden Fortress

I've also heard that the anime series Cowboy Bebop is very good, but haven't gotten around to it yet - so I've got to put that on my list of to watch here in the next little bit.

Z,

Source Code is really good. i watched it right after the c/t though and it kinda freaked me out because it had to do with the human brain. but don't worry it's not a freak out movie. i had been hallucinating.

hey, who is that a photo of in your avatar? it kinda looks like keanu reeves but i don't think it is. ??

yeah, i know what you mean pretty , sometimes these "psychological thriller" type movies can be too much if you're in a bad way.  there was one last summer i just couldn't watch, can't remember what is was though. 

well, i don't really know who my avatar is, i just cut it from an old ski trip photo, it just reminds me where i want to be again someday, out skiing and having fun again.

did anyone see "The King's Speech"?  was it any good?

Z

I saw 'Source Code' the day I separated from my long time job in 2011. I was taking so much V by those last weeks (who knows how much - definitely as high as 200 mg a day, and I am not kidding) that I was walking and talking, yet I was in a black out state. Inside that movie theater I was experiencing my own psychological thriller. I was passing in and out of consciousness and remembered very little of the movie except that I liked it.

Months later when the movie was available on Showtime (I think it was) I had to watch it over and over again because in the beginning my attention span was so poor.  After watching bits and pieces of it I could finally say that I really enjoyed it.

Finally last year I saw it from beginning to end, and I can highly recommend it.

Funny though, until this movie was mentioned here, I really haven't thought about how a movie has followed me throughout my benzo w/d experience.

A guilty pleasure sci-fi movie for me is 'Time Cop'. Don't laugh!!  :laugh: I am intrigued by movies that feature time travel - I just keep trying to figure it all out. "If I could go back in time, what would I change, what could i change...."

M.  :)

(who knows how much - definitely as high as 200 mg a day, and I am not kidding) that I was walking and talking

oh i believe you! i was on 200mg V as well as 20mg K that first time around. had a seizure from that amount though. opiates too. we have some pretty amazing brains huh?

Source Code was a really great message of altering you're own reality the way you would like it to be.

i loved The King's Speech too. i love anything with Colin Firth. another favorite that he was up for an Academy Award as "A Single Man" -- that was excellent with Julianne Moore.

The Academy Awards are on tomorrow evening -- i will be here waiting. :)

West World for sci-fi  (old movie now!)  and  Somewhere in Time for time travel (mild tearjerker, also very old movie!)

pretty -- Oscars ... yay!  :) 

koko

West World for sci-fi  (old movie now!)  and  Somewhere in Time for time travel (mild tearjerker, also very old movie!)

pretty -- Oscars ... yay!  :) 

koko

oh - Somewhere IN Time is a beautiful film with a beautiful score. i play the music on piano :)

that's a good one to watch during wd.

A guilty pleasure sci-fi movie for me is 'Time Cop'. Don't laugh!!  :laugh: I am intrigued by movies that feature time travel - I just keep trying to figure it all out. "If I could go back in time, what would I change, what could i change...."

M.  :)

Oh, Timecop, I like that one too!  I like time travel adventures too, kinda why I liked "Looper", if you haven't seen it check it out.

the last sci fi movie i saw was Ender's Game , it was the WORST movie ive seen in a long time i just wanted to see it because Asa butterfield :smitten:was in it

Don't know if this one's been mentioned, but I really enjoyed Hancock. Will Smith as an anti-superhero with issues. I thought he was great in that. You could look in his eyes and tell he was full of pain and confusion.

Battle Royale and Oldboy are awesome movies. Oldboy is pretty messed up if you're in a fragile frame of mind though, but the premise is brilliant, and keeps you watching. I won't spoil it for anyone.

Also Fist of The North Star anime (a 300 Grrrrr! type of movie - I always remember the scene of the guy literally walking through falling skyscrapers).

What's am anime?

I haven't been to the movies in a long time but some I really liked a lot were ...

Cry Freedom

The Killing Fields

Apocalypse Now

The Secret of Roan Inish

My Beautiful Laundrette

What's am anime?

I haven't been to the movies in a long time but some I really liked a lot were ...

Cry Freedom

The Killing Fields

Apocalypse Now

The Secret of Roan Inish

My Beautiful Laundrette

Chinook,

anime is like that Japanese animated productions usually featuring hand-drawn or computer animation.

there are a lot of good movies done in that anime; it's almost like how Pinnochio was done, sorta like this cartoon type of puppet type of animation. if that makes any sense?

Also for Star Wars fans look for Adywan's  A New Hope: Revisited. He is re-editing the original trilogy to restore them to what they originally were before George Lucas eff'd them up. A New Hope is done and available online and perfectly legal to download if you own any copy of the original movie. Han shot first!

For a bit of humour the Honest Movie Trailers take an alternative look at some of the blockbusters:

hi formywifeand kids , this is so strange i thought of that movie randomly a few weeks ago i saw it like 10 years ago I wrote down the name on my " movies to get list" ! :)

Hi babyangel, I just watched it two nights ago. Great movie. The score is also excellent, composed by the RZA. For anyone yet to see it it is basically about a hitman played by Forest Whitaker who works for a mafia boss and who lives by the code of the ancient Samurai warriors. When one of his hits is witnessed, they come after him. He must preserve the Samurai code of loyalty to his master whilst being hunted down by his master's people.

Going off on a slight tangent here, but anyone who is into drum and bass, the song by Spor - Way of the Samurai samples quotes from the movie (albeit distorted).

I love love love "Dirty Dancing"  My husband and I have watched it so many times we know all the diaglogue and we say it before Baby and Johnny do.  Lots of fun and the music is awesome!

Overcomer

I like Bram Stoker's Dracula, Gary Oldman is such a fabulous actor.  :thumbsup:

I haven't watched it in w/d though, that might be a bit much.

I like Bram Stoker's Dracula, Gary Oldman is such a fabulous actor.  :thumbsup:

I haven't watched it in w/d though, that might be a bit much.

'

keanu was in that Dracula movie. not one of his best but still a cutie.

Movies I've seen in the past week or so:

All is Lost (meh)

Blue Jasmine (depressing but very good)

Funny Girl (we all know this is a fun movie - and her voice, omg)

pretty - psh was amazing in Capote, huh? :)

koko

Movies I've seen in the past week or so:

All is Lost (meh)

Blue Jasmine (depressing but very good)

Funny Girl (we all know this is a fun movie - and her voice, omg)

pretty - psh was amazing in Capote, huh? :)

koko

koko,

yeah his character in Capote didn't flinch as i like to say. just stayed right in character with that Truman voice.

i watched 'Flight' with Denzel Washinton and Don Cheadle again last night and just balled and balled. such a great movie! i highly recommend it.

i haven't heard of All is Lost (meh) - what is that about and who is in it?

i want to see Blue Jasmine even if it's depressing i don't mind those kinds of movies.

pretty