Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Good film/movie thread

[Th...]

I told family and friends they needed to see "Cloud Atlas" and, if possible, watch it with me.  (and this is someone tired of Tom Hanks)

Vbbly  :smitten:

vbbly,

i was tired of Tom Hanks too but Cloud Atlas restored some faith for me. he was really great in all the characters he played. one of my favorite characters was Dr. Henry Goose--"i am a doctor Adam--and a tiger cannot change his stripes" and "well for starters you would have died" :laugh:

i really think anyone who hasn't seen "Cloud" or even the people who have would benefit from seeing more than 3-4 times. i've seen it a little over 20 times--and i still get new things out of it. it's that kind of movie where it's just too difficult to take in everything all at once. you have to really have a large attention span. and that was another reason i watched over and over while in this wd. i really think it's a great movie that helps your brain think. and works your brain.

'Magnolia' is an excellent movie with excellent performances on the parts of the entire cast. It's a movie that I had to watch many times in order to understand even half of it.  ???  A bit of a warning though if you're in a bad state of mind; it is a pretty dark movie that involves some graphic violence, drugs, and death.

I totally understand you being too shy to talk to Jill Clayburgh. When I was 18yrs I met John Travolta in a one-on-one situation and said some of the stupidest things I've ever said in my life. To this day I still cringe when I think about it. I would have been better off keeping my mouth shut.  ::)

koko

i'm looking forward to watching Magnolia. for some reason i've been pretty okay with watching some dark and heavy movies so far.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pr...]

• [ea...]

• [...]

• [ba...]

I Like all the old black and white films the best.

The last film I watched was VALLEY OF THE DOLLS......an old one from the 60s.,with Barbara Perkins.She was in Payton Place,iv just finished watching the old TV series.............very good.

The Big Lebowski is my all time favorite. That's one that I can watch again and again.

Some really good movies have come out lately. I also enjoyed Wolf of Wall Street and Her.

i just watched "Flight" last night with Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle! it was so awesome! it just so good that i recorded it and gonna wtch it again later. Robert Zemeckis really created the look of everything so authentic. i have a new found respect fot Denzel as is antics were starting to bug me a little.

Everybody has different tastes so I thought I'd give IMHO ratings on movies based on the best being 5 stars.  ;)  Maybe you guys can rate your watches, too?

Just so you all know what my taste is like, here are some examples of movies I've seen that I consider worth 5 stars:

Forrest Gump

The Godfather

Midnight Express

Taxi Driver

The Deer Hunter

My most recent watches:

Dallas Buyers Club  --  3.5 stars

-excellent acting; so-so movie

Rush  --  2 stars

-nothing special

Fruitvale Station  --  4 stars

-excellent low budget film

k :D k :D

Everybody has different tastes so I thought I'd give IMHO ratings on movies based on the best being 5 stars.  ;)  Maybe you guys can rate your watches, too?

Just so you all know what my taste is like, here are some examples of movies I've seen that I consider worth 5 stars:

Forrest Gump

The Godfather

Midnight Express

Taxi Driver

The Deer Hunter

My most recent watches:

Dallas Buyers Club  --  3.5 stars

-excellent acting; so-so movie

Rush  --  2 stars

-nothing special

Fruitvale Station  --  4 stars

-excellent low budget film

k :D k :D

all excellent movies KoKo!

i watched 'Flight" again last night and sobbed even harder. you guys are going to love it. here is a list of movies i've seen in the last 21 months since i c/t'd--there really hasn't been too many good films on the cable lately but there...

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Cloud Atlas

Flight

Silver's Lining Playbook

Crash

(everytime i say a little prayer for the energy -source to bring me another movie for me to get lost in while i am still with symptoms--i never get let down)-- thanks energy- source- Universe- God- Creator :smitten:

now you can do the same regarding the symptoms :)

Glad so many people liked cloud atlas. When I saw it in the theatre I sat there for five or ten minutes after the film ended just trying to take it all in. The feeling lasted with me for days. Amazing.

i thought so too and i didn't even see it in the theatre. did you onlyl see it that one time?

I actually watched it again just recently. I saved watching it for a while because the first time watching it was so powerful for me I didn't want to ruin it with a second viewing. But I did, and loved it all over again.

So, does anyone have any oddball movie confessions? Movies that they love but have no idea why? Mine is the original True Grit with John Wayne. I worked in a group home a long time ago and a guy there played it over and over. I must have seen it well over a hundred times, but somehow was entertained every time.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man."

"Fill your hands, you son of a b****!"

what a great thread. 

"cloud atlas" was pretty good 7/10

one of the more difficult movies to keep up with and understand.

even so, it has a great storyline and good acting.

"spirited away" was one of the best animes i have ever seen 9/10

hands down the best story of an anime i have ever seen in my life.

the emotion from the characters is just stunning. very lifelike.

"oblivion" with tom cruise was good ad well 7/10

"ender's game" was good. 6.5/10

i am about to watch" ponyo" and some other animes i hears were good by the same director of "spirited away."

i guess this i kind of an oddball attraction towards a movie -- i really like "Innerspace" with Dennis Quaid and Martin Short. i saw it 4 times in the theatre many moons ago and it happens to be on tonight -- i'm just not sure how i am gonna like it now. it's been so long.

i also saw 'Back To The Future" the original in the theatre 4 times when i first came out and now i can watch it but kinda get sick of really quick, you know?

what a great thread. 

i am about to watch" ponyo" and some other animes i hears were good by the same director of "spirited away."

Spirited Away is one of my all time favorites. If you haven't seen them yet, make sure you see Princess Mononoke and Howe's Moving Castle.

what a great thread. 

Spirited Away is one of my all time favorites. If you haven't seen them yet, make sure you see Princess Mononoke and Howe's Moving Castle.

I am about to watch Princess Mononoke.  Howl's Moving Castle was great. 

So, does anyone have any oddball movie confessions? Movies that they love but have no idea why? Mine is the original True Grit with John Wayne. I worked in a group home a long time ago and a guy there played it over and over. I must have seen it well over a hundred times, but somehow was entertained every time.

The original "True Grit" is my favorite western.  I love the authentic language and brilliant writing.  The remake was painful.

"Outside is for shooting!" after the marshall serves the rat the writ.

The original "True Grit" is my favorite western.  I love the authentic language and brilliant writing.  The remake was painful.

"If ever I meet one of you Texans who ain't drunk from a hoofprint, I'll shake their hand or

buy them a Daniel Webster cigar!"

:laugh:

"If ever I meet one of you Texans who ain't drunk from a hoofprint, I'll shake their hand or

buy them a Daniel Webster cigar!"

Of the recent movies,  i think my favorite was "Gravity".  it just wow'ed me like no movie has for a long time.  i might see it for a 4th time in 3D theater this weekend.  i also really liked "Cloud Atlas", "Oblivion",  "Looper", "Argo", and "Life of Pi".

The movie "KPAX" is probably my most-watched movie of all time.  i don't know why, but i just love watching it every time it shows up on cable. 

Z

Of the recent movies,  i think my favorite was "Gravity".  it just wow'ed me like no movie has for a long time.  i might see it for a 4th time in 3D theater this weekend.  i also really liked "Cloud Atlas", "Oblivion",  "Looper", "Argo", and "Life of Pi".

The movie "KPAX" is probably my most-watched movie of all time.  i don't know why, but i just love watching it every time it shows up on cable. 

Z

Z,

i loved Cloud Atlas, Life of Pi and Argo -- haven't see the other two you mentioned. by the way, who is that photo of on your avatar?

Read the book still have to see the movie. JB  & his astonishingly 'over the top ' drug fuelled lifestyle! How about his large yacht that sank in the Med, & everyone had  to be rescued by an Italian navy Chinook helicopter.......

2 movies make me laugh every single time - "Kiss Me Goodbye" with Sally Field, Jeff Bridges and James Caan and "Foul Play" with Goldie Hawn, Chevy Chase and Dudley Moore. I have seen each one of these movies dozens of times, and I never fail to laugh to the point of exhaustion.  ;D

Z

Zeek, if you loved KPAX and haven't watched Man Facing Southeast, I'd highly recommend it. It's one of my all time favorites.

Z

Zeek, if you loved KPAX and haven't watched Man Facing Southeast, I'd highly recommend it. It's one of my all time favorites.

How odd, I was just thinking of Man Facing Southeast yesterday. That was an amazing movie, the feeling I got from watching it has stayed with me for years!

Thanks!

Chinook

I had never heard of "Man Facing Southeast".  I'll check it out.  I like movies like KPAX but by then Spacey was already getting on my nerves.  It's like when one day I couldn't take any more Ben Kingsley.

I like sci-fi but not crazy about Sandra Bullock so I've avoided "Gravity"?  Now if Tilda Swinton and Clooney were tethered together in space I'd watch.

I watched Princess Mononuke last night. It was good.  7/10  Not as good as I expected ti to be though.  I think I will watch akira next. 

Do any of you know a good anime like Spirited Away?  Thanks!