Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The dark world of psychiatrists

[se...]

Hello Katie,

Your 30 minutes may have been interrupted by the phone but at least it WAS 30 minutes.

The average interview with a psychiatrist before diagnosis is much shorter.

In my own recent experience as a certifiably insane inpatient, I saw a psychiatrist once a week for ten minutes in a multidisciplinary meeting. As an outpatient in the UK twenty minutes a month is the best you can hope for.

Overall I decided this was a GOOD thing :)

Take care,

spartacus

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mo...]

• [Ks...]

• [pr...]

• [Be...]

hi spartacus, wel i spent around 2 hours there that day , the social security dissability sent me to see him to evaluate my mental health him and another doctor who evaluated my physical health the physical exam was much shorter like 15 20 minutes

those 2 doctors were against me in the final decision that i didnt need social security disability , the other 4 doctor voted in my favor that i needed it i was still denyed :(

• 1 month later...

I'm reading this thread in the middle on the night (sigh) and the snark is superb!  I laughed my ass off.  God I wish this site would allow more snark.

As for psychiatry: My life has been ruined by someone's 'opinion'-I have been on over 30 different psych drugs since my bout w/postpartum depression in 1992.

I now have a diagnosis, and what that means in a nutshell is that NO ONE takes me seriously.

I have lost my family and my profession.

It's easier to give someone a pill than it is to look at what society has become: the one with the most money or the most muscle wins.  Survival of the fitest?  This is not what Darwin meant.  Diversity advances survival of a species.  But our society medicates those that don't go along with the program.

Take a pill and shut up, bitch.

And another thing  ;)

Another good book that reads like a whodunit is 'Anatomy of an Epidemic' by Robert Whitaker.  He has also started the website 'Mad in America' where you are free to discuss almost anything on the forums.

I ran into this book by accident when it was reviewed by Marcia Angell for the New York Review of Books...this is what started me questioning the meds I had been given (my life just seemed to spiral ever downward, all the while believing I had a 'chemical imbalance' in my brain-and I DID-the psych meds CAUSE chemical imbalances in the brain) and inspired me to get the heck off them.

I had no idea, even after reading 'Anatomy' that I would have to go through this hell after my taper off Klonocide.

The links between psychiatry, PHARMA and the FDA is out there if anyone bothers to look.

Hey cookienose,

There's a recent book you might find interesting, "Deadly Medicines and Organised Crime...how Big Pharma has corrupted health care", by Professor Peter Gotzsche.

He worked for drug companies while training in medicine so has a unique view.

Take care,

spartacus

Hey cookienose,

There's a recent book you might find interesting, "Deadly Medicines and Organised Crime...how Big Pharma has corrupted health care", by Professor Peter Gotzsche.

He worked for drug companies while training in medicine so has a unique view.

Take care,

spartacus

hi Spart, what an interesting book, i obtained it last week.

the facts are quite scary i think. :o

[2c...]
Another good book that reads like a whodunit is 'Anatomy of an Epidemic' by Robert Whitaker.  He has also started the website 'Mad in America' where you are free to discuss almost anything on the forums.

Hi, cookienose, I read "Anatomy of an Epidemic" awhile back. Very, very good read. I had already stopped the SSRI due to hallucinations over a year ago, but after reading this book, I had even more mental power to believe I didn't need ANY bipolar drugs. And hence, my journey to become benzo free and then (hopefully) anti-psychotic free.

What Whitaker writes is spot on  :thumbsup:

But we still have a lot of work to do. The latest psychobable bible, the DSM V, has created so many categories of mental illness that almost everyone would be labeled mentally ill and need meds. We're so going backwards on the Darwinian scale. When I was diagnosed manic depressive in 1985, I didn't know anyone outside of the mental hospital with that diagnoses. Now you don't have to be hospitalized to be diagnosed. And according to the latest DSM 5 "standard" of criteria, you don't even have to be manic to be bipolar. Logic evades these doctors.

The only way to fight this deception is to lead by example, come of the medication, and life a bipolar life happy, healthy and without meds. They (the pdcos) say it can't be done due to the "chemical imbalance" theory. I say they're wrong.

i actually cried when i got to the end of anatomy of an epidemic.  whitaker and gotzsche are two of my heroes.  i have always known the truth about the drugs and the docs and the lies and the best marketing ploy ever.  i was never able to convince my accidental addict husband- til now.    thank god it all clicked for him and he now sees how he has been bamboozled by the system all these years.  to all who know the truth, and have learned it the hard way:  speak out.  sometimes "everybody" can be wrong.  it is our duty to do what we can to expose the lies and prevent others from living the lie and experiencing the nightmare of the drug comp/docs/kickbacks/hiding data/labeling/pathologizing every human emotion system.

continued healing, all

erin

Erin-your husband is very lucky to have you in his corner...

Sparticus (love your screen name) I follow your posts almost religiously, your wit and intelligence are always helpful.

Whenever I get an internet connection, I always go to (first) BenzoBuddies and (second) the Mad in America site.  I am so grateful for Robert Whitaker's work.  Yes, Sparticus, I've read about Peter Gotzsche's new book.  Unfortunately I cannot afford new books so must wait until the county library buys them. :-\

I hope when and if all this ever ends for me to be some sort of advocate for those who have been marginalized by the 'mental death' system.

Some days, tho, I can barely take care of myself.

I hear you, MindSeeker, I myself was told I'm 'hypomanic' and really, it had nothing at all to do with the Effexor I was on for my 'chemical imbalance'.

I wonder who would not experience emotional distress after losing your children (to a corrupt divorce court) and your home (and your livelihood).  Hmm. :D

I also admire Bruce Levine a great deal.  He has a great post on MiA about anti-authoritarians and how they are identified and levelled by a DSM category, right quick.  I can relate as I am thought of as 'uppity'-no I'm just tired of groveling.

Also what's really disturbing is how psychiatry was/is involved in eugenics...the Nazis didn't think of this on their own, they got it from US!

ty, cookie.  it has not been easy, to say the least!! many parts of my life have been completely destroyed.

i love bruce levine too.  have you seen the 15 minute video by gotzsche?  i think it's from a conference at dartmouth. he sums up everything really well.  i have saved as emails that clip and a 9 min bruce levine clip.  when people in my life are ready to hear the truth and drop everything they thought they knew on the subject, i send them these clips.

i wish you health nad happiness and healing in the days and weeks and months and years ahead...

erin

The only way to fight this deception is to lead by example, come of the medication, and life a bipolar life happy, healthy and without meds. They (the pdcos) say it can't be done due to the "chemical imbalance" theory. I say they're wrong.

yep, this is the way to do it! don't let them catch you and try to reel you in again ;)

[2c...]
yep, this is the way to do it! don't let them catch you and try to reel you in again ;)

Hey, prettydaisys. I'm doing my best. After I get off what I'm on, I'm never going to take another one again! I hope. I'm looking into doing some activism against forced drugging (including what the NAMI is doing). I need to get completely well first.  :thumbsup:

Me, too, Mindseeker, me too.

Glad you are out there.  Glad you 'get it'...there is so much ignorance out there.

You can do it. :)

Hey, prettydaisys. I'm doing my best. After I get off what I'm on, I'm never going to take another one again! I hope. I'm looking into doing some activism against forced drugging (including what the NAMI is doing). I need to get completely well first.  :thumbsup:

that's great! yes wellness first.

• 1 month later...

where the hell did you find this? it's f-cking hilarious! :laugh:

i've actually been to doctor's like this. it is scary. he really looks like a full blown heroin addict. obviously has some intelligence to him. i think. :-\

i can't laugh at all, its too f-cking scary. >:(

omg pretty, if i ever see a doctor like this, i run for my life, won't have

a hand-shake, never mind a prescription, unbelievable that they are able to keep

their license. :o

p.s. on second thoughts,  :laugh: he might be quite competent, obviously he must have

experience.

• 6 months later...

i'l admit i used to be anti-psychiatry up until recently when i saw an advertisement on TV for some symptoms i had been suffering from in regards to hating psychiatrists and psychiatry.

i went to c my doctor and asked him about Nuplexadex™ to c if it was right for me and in 5 minutes i was diagnosed with Anti-Psychiatry Disorder and with prescription in hand i went and filled it at the local Super Duper Pharm®.

now i have no negative feelings what so ever towards psychiatry or psychiatrists i am completely enamored with both of them. i even went so far as to start donating 10% of my income to CPS in order that they don't run out of medication for all the orphans they take care of.

although i am experiencing some side effects such as; dry mouth, dizziness, blurry vision, violent outbursts, confusion, crying with tears of blood and my hair fell out and broccoli started growing on top of my head its worth it for the piece of mind.

I just had to reply after stumbling upon this post to say this has made me laugh more than I have laughed in a long time. I hope you are doing better rubberduck, wherever you are.  Thanks for sharing, I just read it now when I start feeling angry at the whole messed up "system" Take care

My daughter now is in Third Year Psychology.

If I will be lucky, I will put her in Medical School.  And after that into the field of Psychiatry.

And while she will be grueling with her medical textbooks, I will bombard her with your complaints, grumbles, protests, etc.

I will assure you that she will be the first psychiatrist that you will love.