Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The dark world of psychiatrists

[se...]

My personal experience is that my psychiatrist is an irresponsible, patronizing, impatient, humorless, arrogant, paternalistic, judgmental, wholly incompetent, insecure, uptight, condescending, control-freak, pill-pushing wing-nut with the insight of a dead houseplant.

I rue the day I ever set my sorry foot in her pretentiously decorated office. She's a menace to society and ought to be in prison.

I hate her.

JMHO. 

:)

But since the above and some other comments are clearly more about projecting an anti-psychiatry position rather than relating personal experiences, these are just attempts at circumventing the rules.

Your comment was pretty funny. I'm not overly concerned about such an obvious injection of humour; it does serve to somewhat mitigate against the rule infraction. However, seekfreedom2go submitted a serious post. I think his/her post deserves a serious reply, don't you!?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mo...]

• [Ks...]

• [pr...]

• [Be...]

But since the above and some other comments are clearly more about projecting an anti-psychiatry position rather than relating personal experiences, these are just attempts at circumventing the rules.

Your comment was pretty funny. I'm not overly concerned about such an obvious injection of humour; it does serve to somewhat mitigate against the rule infraction. However, seekfreedom2go submitted a serious post. I think his/her post deserves a serious reply, don't you!?

It was intended as humor, but it's also how I feel and was very much about my personal psychiatrist. The woman lied to me, dismissed every concern I expressed about benzos over the years, and made me fight her tooth and nail to help me with a reasonable taper. She played a huge role in my now-decimated life. And I hate her for it. That's no joke.

I meant no disrespect to the OP, however; nor did I mean to tread on any BB rules (which I find quite reasonable, by the way). So, I do apologize. Should I delete my post? Or you can.... I'm not sure how this works.  :-[

I thought people on this forum were not supposed to ridicule doctors and psychiatrists. I am wondering if the first set of descriptions by seekfreedomtogo might have come from a story book. Those characters just don't seem real to me. They seem to be caricatures from a comedy movie.

Hi Xanthia

If you want to be real please put details of your taper profile in like all other members so we can help you.

D21

What I get from all this is that we're all biased by our own experiences, and tend to see everything through that lens.

It's easy for me to say, "some psychiatrists are good at their jobs and serve a useful purpose, and some of them are not good at their jobs which can be dangerous", because that aligns with my own personal relationships with different doctors over the years. If I'd literally had nothing but negative experiences, it's easy for me to see that I might be a lot less charitable.

Unfortunately, it's not really possible to free one's thinking from this kind of bias; I believe the best strategy is simply to accept it. Any time that anyone tells me they know an "objective truth", internally I brace myself for the load of drivel that's about to be communicated. Seekfreedom2go has clearly had some really lousy experiences; I'm happy that they were communicated here, because it's good to get such things out in the open.

For the record, though: the person who was the most useful to me during my benzo taper, and the only doctor I saw who completely refused to even consider putting me on any other drugs, was an MD Psychiatrist. That's a real thing that happened. I certainly saw others over the years that I could say less glowing things about, but I feel that end of the spectrum has been pretty well covered already.

[35...]

I don't think any of this is remotely funny. It is just a hate thread about psychiatrists and when these people expressing hatred were asked politely to desist by the administrators, they too were just ignored and mocked. I don't know why anyone would take on this job. Especially for free. The people who run this forum give up their time selflessly, only to be rudely ignored as a reward for their tolerance and dignity.

I pity the doctors from whom some of these people seek help when they are desperate. They obviously need help (still) but when they are back on their feet, all they can do is mock and insult. Psychiatrists spend about 12 years to get their qualifications (I think). Just a tiny bit more than some of the previous 'experts' on this thread.

A psychiatrist I saw ages ago was gifted in many different forms of medicine - he had worked in regional hospitals delivering babies. He had worked for the Flying Doctor, witnessing horrendous accidents on remote properties. He was passionate about medicine and his patients. He looked after all my medical needs as well as my emotional ones in the time I saw him.

He was up to date on medical procedures in all areas of health care and was a kind and gentle person who spent our entire session talking with me. He never forced me to do anything and he guided me with a previous taper. He encouraged me and gave me his phone number so I could call him any time if the need arose. It didn't but I had the security of knowing he was always there. He made me laugh and said he liked the way I thought and that I had a great sense of humour. It was like visiting an old friend every couple of weeks. He encouraged my efforts and made me feel good about myself.

After knowing this man it makes my blood boil to hear the rubbish written above. If I were a doctor I wouldn't find any joy treating such self centred know-alls, who are probably quick to run to the nearest ER when things go bad. Maybe you should look inside yourselves. I hope this thread is not a representation of the general population of this forum.

I am sure there are many more people like Fliprain, whose lives have been saved by psychiatrists.

[35...]
Hi Xanthia

If you want to be real please put details of your taper profile in like all other members so we can help you.

D21

I am new here and just looking around at present. From much I have seen I would not share private details or ask for help from most people I have seen.

I can not even imagine wanting advice (or even conversation) from some of the people on this thread.

It was intended as humor, but it's also how I feel and was very much about my personal psychiatrist. The woman lied to me, dismissed every concern I expressed about benzos over the years, and made me fight her tooth and nail to help me with a reasonable taper. She played a huge role in my now-decimated life. And I hate her for it. That's no joke.

I meant no disrespect to the OP, however; nor did I mean to tread on any BB rules (which I find quite reasonable, by the way). So, I do apologize. Should I delete my post? Or you can.... I'm not sure how this works.  :-[

No, no need to delete anything. I understood your intention. No biggie. I just wished to bring the discussion back on track. Thank you for understanding.

I don't think any of this is remotely funny. It is just a hate thread about psychiatrists and when these people expressing hatred were asked politely to desist by the administrators, they too were just ignored and mocked. I don't know why anyone would take on this job. Especially for free. The people who run this forum give up their time selflessly, only to be rudely ignored as a reward for their tolerance and dignity.

I pity the doctors from whom some of these people seek help when they are desperate. They obviously need help (still) but when they are back on their feet, all they can do is mock and insult. Psychiatrists spend about 12 years to get their qualifications (I think). Just a tiny bit more than some of the previous 'experts' on this thread.

A psychiatrist I saw ages ago was gifted in many different forms of medicine - he had worked in regional hospitals delivering babies. He had worked for the Flying Doctor, witnessing horrendous accidents on remote properties. He was passionate about medicine and his patients. He looked after all my medical needs as well as my emotional ones in the time I saw him.

He was up to date on medical procedures in all areas of health care and was a kind and gentle person who spent our entire session talking with me. He never forced me to do anything and he guided me with a previous taper. He encouraged me and gave me his phone number so I could call him any time if the need arose. It didn't but I had the security of knowing he was always there. He made me laugh and said he liked the way I thought and that I had a great sense of humour. It was like visiting an old friend every couple of weeks. He encouraged my efforts and made me feel good about myself.

After knowing this man it makes my blood boil to hear the rubbish written above. If I were a doctor I wouldn't find any joy treating such self centred know-alls, who are probably quick to run to the nearest ER when things go bad. Maybe you should look inside yourselves. I hope this thread is not a representation of the general population of this forum.

I am sure there are many more people like Fliprain, whose lives have been saved by psychiatrists.

Xanthia,

The definition of good and bad psychiatric interactions would be anecdotal at best.  The problem is, here in BenzoBuddies,  the majority of people have NOT had sensible advise.  Many are poly-drugged or ripped off psychotropic medications with little to no regard about abrupt cessation and the ensuing,  catastrophic endings.  Please temper your angry responses with some compassion.  Unless I have I have missed something, you have not yet begun to taper.  We will all be here when you decide to do so. 

:smitten:

Hi Xanthia

D21

I am new here and just looking around at present. From much I have seen I would not share private details or ask for help from most people I have seen.

I can not even imagine wanting advice (or even conversation) from some of the people on this thread.

Wow Xanthia if u don't want help,advice, conversation or to share your taper signature  with BB members then why did you become a member? You make it sound like you don't approve of the members at BB.What makes you think you are above the other BB members.There are wonderful people here.

Your favorite psychiatrist delivered babies?

D21

[35...]

I am not angry at all. Oh, maybe I am. I forgot that I said it made my blood boil. Not for long, obviously. :) Not angry any more!

The problem is, here in BenzoBuddies,  the majority of people have NOT had sensible advise.  Many are poly-drugged or ripped off psychotropic medications with little to no regard about abrupt cessation and the ensuing,  catastrophic endings.

As you have said, every story here is anecdotal so we do not know whether people received good advice or not, whether they were 'polydrugged' or anything else which led to 'catastrophic endings'. It is all a matter of perception. As we all tend to be fairly egocentic about our health issues, I believe stories may be coloured unconsciously by the mental state of the teller.

Please temper your angry responses with some compassion.

I'm afraid that the derision of medical professionals and then the rude responses to the people guiding this forum, who try to keep it sane, do not really encourage me to show compassion.

If tapering from a drug brings out this sort of behaviour, I might just stay on it. Just to be on the safe side. I won't make any more angry responses. I'll leave that to the others.

Everyone, cool it now. You are not allowed to take "potshots" at each other.  This is from our Rules and Guidelines:

•Be polite towards, and respectful of, your fellow Buddies. We do not tolerate attacks upon fellow members. Any account created for the purposes of causing arguments and/or ill-feeling will be banned.

Stop squabbling. 

[35...]
Wow Xanthia if u don't want help,advice, conversation or to share your taper signature  with BB members then why did you become a member? You make it sound like you don't approve of the members at BB.What makes you think you are above the other BB members.There are wonderful people here.

Your favorite psychiatrist delivered babies?

D21

As I stated in my introduction, I stumbled across this site and thought it would be interesting to view the stories of others who had used a similar drug that I was using. I thought it was just a forum for discussion. Evidently it is a place for only one sort of discussion - other forums I have looked at seem different.

The forum does not require anyone to divulge the details of their use of any drugs at all. A signature is not required. I would not tell random strangers about my personal life. If they became my friends I would be very open. I am very open with my real life friends.

I am surprised that you inferred that I thought I was above anyone.

Any yes, my ex psychiatrist did deliver babies. In Australia, a psychiatrist does a full medical degree before doing the specialty of psychiatry. Otherwise they would not be able to prescribe any medications (as psychologists and other counselors may not do so). Often they have a vast medical history gained before starting their specialty. Actually my husband's GP also told him recently that he has delivered thousands of babies too.

As I stated in my introduction, I stumbled across this site and thought it would be interesting to view the stories of others who had used a similar drug that I was using. I thought it was just a forum for discussion. Evidently it is a place for only one sort of discussion - other forums I have looked at seem different.

I think one thing you will find here for certain, that although people might be taking these drugs, their goal is to withdraw and live life without benzos.  Our mission is to help and support people through this process.  I don't know what kind of stories you are looking for but there is a high likelihood that you will not find many positive stories about these drugs and their long terms effects. 

pianogirl

[35...]

When I read somewhere in the guideline section that members did not necessarily have to be actively withdrawing from the drug at that time, I must have gained the wrong impression. I will ask for my membership to be closed.

I don't think my way of thinking fits in here.

Thank you.

Xanthia, I don't mean to be rude but you are being a bit judgmental...You are judging the value of this forum on one thread that you have visited:

The forum does not require anyone to divulge the details of their use of any drugs at all. A signature is not required. I would not tell random strangers about my personal life. If they became my friends I would be very open. I am very open with my real life friends.

Just by the title, what made you want to enter this thread out of all the other ones? Why not start with a positive thread or a support thread? I hope you can put yourself in other members shoes and see that it might throw them off a bit to be confronted by a new member, especially when most of the people on this thread are just being honest about their experiences. By implying that psychiatrists have more years of school than members, you are in a way insulting them, thus the impression that you might think you are "above" them.

The reason people are asking about your signature is because again, as a new member we know nothing about you and your first impression has been rather guarded and confrontational, while everyone who has a signature is willing to be open about their history. And the purpose of the forum is to help those with their tapers or withdrawal, and support each other (as this thread does for people who feel hurt by psychiatry), which you are not giving us the opportunity if you don't make one. If threads such as these are uncomfortable for you as a new member, again, there are a lot of other supportive threads and you should seek those out rather than the ones you feel offended by, no?

When I read somewhere in the guideline section that members did not necessarily have to be actively withdrawing from the drug at that time, I must have gained the wrong impression. I will ask for my membership to be closed.

Thank you.

All I am trying to tell you is what the mission of our forum is. Of course, we welcome all, even those who are still taking a benzo.  We hope to provide information so that when someone is ready to start a taper, they can arm themselves with good information.  I know I wish I would have known about this forum before I started my taper, I would have been much more careful about the amounts I reduced. 

Thank you pianogirl!

Xanthia,

Please consider a taper.  I know you are scared, but this is doable.  I've had a horrific 12 months.  I won't lie.  But I purposely carved out a two year time frame in order to recover.  I have been bedridden for many months.  My husband is tapering as well and had to quit his job.  We had to plunder our retirement savings, and our despair has been awful.

But we are doing it!  We are both benzo free!  And both of us are feeling just a little bit better!  Hang in there Xana.  I worry about you, and I will be here for you if you decide to begin your taper again.

:smitten:

Thank you.

its no big deal to change your way of thinking, just a little experiment.

stop taking your Xanax and i am sure you will end up saying.

Welcome to the club and you will feel very secure and comfortable on this Forum.

i am not suggesting to try it but its one way of finding out what people are going through

on BB and your opinion will change at once, i can assure you. as a matter of fact

i bet on it. ;D

I'm amazed to see that some people coming up here seem to expect mostly favourable opinions about psychiatrists on a forum that deals with benzo withdrawal and the devastation this has brought to people's lives. Let's get real, most of us didn't get our first benzo from a shady dealer but from a psych doc. It's only natural to find 'some' aversion.

No, no need to delete anything. I understood your intention. No biggie. I just wished to bring the discussion back on track. Thank you for understanding.

i am just doing what Colin suggested.....keep the discussion on track.

after hearing Seekfreedom's story, my own and the experience of so many others ,

one just must come to the conclusion , that having the bad luck to be treated by an

incompetent psychiatrist , even though he might be able to deliver babies ,

one can be damaged for life.

at the present time, psychiatry seems to be like russian roulette or a gamble.

lucky the people who end up as winners. :)

You know when i started my taper the psychiatrist i was seeing was uery supportive & heped me through when he realized it was my way or no way and realized i had a medical background and wasn't falling for anything he was telling me. Plus i gave him a copy of the Ashton Manual to read. I subsequently moved to another state to finish my taper, but he was very supportive.  Must have been the type of insurance i had. LoL!

[35...]

that having the bad luck to be treated by an incompetent psychiatrist , even though he might be able to deliver babies ,

Oh this takes the cake! Diagnosis of the competency of a psychiatrist LONG DISTANCE OVER THE INTERNET!!!!!!!

I pity your doctors.

He was NOT the one who prescribed the frigging Xanax to me in the first place. He was the one helping me get off. I reduced my dose significantly under his care. He warned me about forums like this as he had a look one day and had one word to say: ZEALOTS!

And what's with the harping on about the babies? Don't your psychs do a medical degree or something before their specialty?

This is a mad house! I'm getting out before I get tainted.

X

PS The actual name of this thread is against rules of the forum so I don't know why anyone is being asked to keep on track!

Xana , oops , sorry Xanthia of course,

why so excited ? this was just a resume about people's experiences. nothing else. :laugh:

keep cool, getting excited and angry means stress and stress is to be avoided while

on Xanax or Benzo WD or even in every day's life.  :laugh::thumbsup: