Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The dark world of psychiatrists

[se...]

My experience with psychiatrists"

My first visit with a psychiatrist was in 2011.  I made the mistake of visiting him when I got extreme anxiety over a hernia surgery.  His office was in this very old house in suburb of the European city I live in.  The home was dark and scary with very large rooms that had these big books about old antiques.  Count Dracula would have been very fond of it.  The guy seemed friendly enough but was like a hippy intellectual wearing an old torn up sweater.  He took notes on a very small sheet of paper and appeared able to write an entire life story on it. He diagnosed me with with General Anxiety Disorder even though I never had suffered from anxiety before.  He prescribed Lexapro and Frisium (an anti-epileptic benzo) which drove me borderline psychotic and made me suicidal.  Had never been suicidal before in my life.  When I called him and told him about my suicidal thoughts he told me "I did not have the guts to do it."

Second visit to psychiatrist also in 2011.  This guy had an ultra clean office filled with wooden toy horses that he built himself (not kidding).  When I saw him he was this very uptight guy wearing glasses that was wearing a very tight shirt with all the buttons closed including the neck button.  He had xanax pill in his shirt pocket which was also buttoned which he said was a good idea to keep when people get panic attacks.  He wanted to up myLexapro dose to 30 mgs and then put me on Cymbalta.  A feeling of self preservation kept me from listening to his advice.

Third visit to psychiatrist January 2014 after getting hooked on Ativan.  This was an older guy in his 60's wearing an Armani suit.  He had this special camera behind his office which he used to monitor who was coming in and out and special beeper to allow people in.  He diagnosed me with depression since childhood (I had a very happy childhood).  and wanted me to stop taking benzos altogether and put me on on Effexor and Remerron at the same time.  He claimed that my parents had been pressuring me since childhood and that I was a perfectionist because of that (my parents are really cool and laid back). He did this while interrupting our session taking calls constantly to the tune of over 100 dollars.  When I told him I was involved in martial arts since childhood he claimed that I was also a violent person with a lot of rage in me.  Ι am actually not a violent person at all.  I did, however, definitely want to kick his teeth out.

What I have come to understand is that a lot the people that have the responsibility for treating people with psychological disorders are themselves mentally disturbed and it is very frightening.  My greatest regret of getting hooked on Ativan is that I now have to deal with this very dark world of psychiatrists and psychiatric drugs again.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mo...]

• [Ks...]

• [pr...]

• [Be...]

The concept of psychiatry is such that it takes a very arrogant, holier than thou mindset to become a member of the field. Your job is to slap a label on someone for whatever category you interpret their mental shortcomings to fall under, and then memorize lists of medications that go under that heading to throw at the patient and see if it resolves itself.

My experience with psychiatrists"

My first visit with a psychiatrist was in 2011.  I made the mistake of visiting him when I got extreme anxiety over a hernia surgery.  His office was in this very old house in suburb of the European city I live in.  The home was dark and scary with very large rooms that had these big books about old antiques.  Count Dracula would have been very fond of it.  The guy seemed friendly enough but was like a hippy intellectual wearing an old torn up sweater.  He took notes on a very small sheet of paper and appeared able to write an entire life story on it. He diagnosed me with with General Anxiety Disorder even though I never had suffered from anxiety before.  He prescribed Lexapro and Frisium (an anti-epileptic benzo) which drove me borderline psychotic and made me suicidal.  Had never been suicidal before in my life.  When I called him and told him about my suicidal thoughts he told me "I did not have the guts to do it."

Second visit to psychiatrist also in 2011.  This guy had an ultra clean office filled with wooden toy horses that he built himself (not kidding).  When I saw him he was this very uptight guy wearing glasses that was wearing a very tight shirt with all the buttons closed including the neck button.  He had xanax pill in his shirt pocket which was also buttoned which he said was a good idea to keep when people get panic attacks.  He wanted to up myLexapro dose to 30 mgs and then put me on Cymbalta.  A feeling of self preservation kept me from listening to his advice.

Third visit to psychiatrist January 2014 after getting hooked on Ativan.  This was an older guy in his 60's wearing an Armani suit.  He had this special camera behind his office which he used to monitor who was coming in and out and special beeper to allow people in.  He diagnosed me with depression since childhood (I had a very happy childhood).  and wanted me to stop taking benzos altogether and put me on on Effexor and Remerron at the same time.  He claimed that my parents had been pressuring me since childhood and that I was a perfectionist because of that (my parents are really cool and laid back). He did this while interrupting our session taking calls constantly to the tune of over 100 dollars.  When I told him I was involved in martial arts since childhood he claimed that I was also a violent person with a lot of rage in me.  Ι am actually not a violent person at all.  I did, however, definitely want to kick his teeth out.

What I have come to understand is that a lot the people that have the responsibility for treating people with psychological disorders are themselves mentally disturbed and it is very frightening.  My greatest regret of getting hooked on Ativan is that I now have to deal with this very dark world of psychiatrists and psychiatric drugs again.

terrible, makes want to vomit.

i was lucky, the only time i came in contact with a psychiatrist was at the detox hospital and

that was enough.

very friendly, but i always had the impression he needed mental medical care himself.

one morning, i noticed my eye lids and the whole area around were sort of dark grey ,

really strong and scary. when he came to visit, i showed it to him and asked what was going on.

his reply, i can't see anything , its all in your mind. i started arguing with him and he just left.

5 minutes later a male nurse came in, very friendly and we had a chat. all over sudden he asked.

whats wrong with your eyes, the area is all dark and grey ?

i smiled at him and told him, its all in your mind , you are just imagining it and explained

this was the answer i got from the Doctor. need i say more. :tickedoff:>:(:laugh:

Very interesting description of psych docs, in this case psych is for psychotic...lol.

The first one reminded me of the first one I ever saw way back, old school scary kook, the one who introduced me to his world of drug dependency. 

The various ones I've seen afterwards looked more like paper pushers, drug company employee of the month than anything serious and scientific, who would talk to me for 10 or 15 mins every once in a while and tell me to carry on taking whatever I was on.

[40...]
I thought people on this forum were not supposed to ridicule doctors and psychiatrists. I am wondering if the first set of descriptions by seekfreedomtogo might have come from a story book. Those characters just don't seem real to me. They seem to be caricatures from a comedy movie.

I thought people on this forum were not supposed to ridicule doctors and psychiatrists. I am wondering if the first set of descriptions by seekfreedomtogo might have come from a story book. Those characters just don't seem real to me. They seem to be caricatures from a comedy movie.

i believe its not against the Forum rules to talk about one's experience. ???

Psychiatry is a pseudo science joke practiced by individuals who could never have practiced real medicine  due to their mental health limitations... IMO.

If you go to a psychiatrist EXPECT to be put on a psychotropic medication. That's what these hucksters do.... Put people on powerful psychotropics after speaking with you for 15 minutes to an hour. It's a joke.... A dangerous joke.

I go to one to get my K  ( that I'm tapering off of) .... That's it! He doesn't even know I'm tapering off of it because if he did he would rapid taper me . When I'm finally fee of this poison , I will never see another psychiatrist as long as I live. Psychiatrists can do serious damage with the meds they so quickly and nonchalantly prescribe . Many of us are in this situation because of this very scenerio.

Feeling depressed and or anxious?  Go see a psychologist and learn positive coping skills that will last a lifetime to feel better. IMO , the only time a person needs an antidepressant is when they are clinically depressed. In such cases , talk therapy won't help until the person stabilizes on an A/D. Also. IMO, no one should EVER be placed on a benzo for anxiety ... Therapy is best for treating anxiety IMO.

Ok, since I'm starting to ramble, I'm done

My psychiatrist is responsible for getting me off benzos. She is the most compassionate doctor I know. Also the most down to earth. She pulled in a favor from her top tier psychologist colleuge in order to get me into a therapy setting.

These two are largely responsible for saving my life.

I know there are bad apples out there of course, but to characterize the whole field is irresponsible. It was my PCP who first prescribed benzos. Statistics show the primary docs are where most benzos and SSRI perscriptions originate

Flip

Psychiatry is a pseudo science joke practiced by individuals who could never have practiced real medicine  due to their mental health limitations... IMO.

If you go to a psychiatrist EXPECT to be put on a psychotropic medication. That's what these hucksters do.... Put people on powerful psychotropics after speaking with you for 15 minutes to an hour. It's a joke.... A dangerous joke.

I go to one to get my K  ( that I'm tapering off of) .... That's it! He doesn't even know I'm tapering off of it because if he did he would rapid taper me . When I'm finally fee of this poison , I will never see another psychiatrist as long as I live. Psychiatrists can do serious damage with the meds they so quickly and nonchalantly prescribe . Many of us are in this situation because of this very scenerio.

Feeling depressed and or anxious?  Go see a psychologist and learn positive coping skills that will last a lifetime to feel better. IMO , the only time a person needs an antidepressant is when they are clinically depressed. In such cases , talk therapy won't help until the person stabilizes on an A/D. Also. IMO, no one should EVER be placed on a benzo for anxiety ... Therapy is best for treating anxiety IMO.

Ok, since I'm starting to ramble, I'm done

Allen!  We understand the need to speak about personal experiences from inferior medical care. There are also some people who have been helped by psychiatrists.  Please note that we do not tolerate anti psychiatry comments as above on this forum.  It is against the rules. Please take a moment to refresh your memory.

Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine Comments & Links

Magrita

How about the dark world of psychiatrist's answering services (which are always experiencing difficulties) and psychiatrist's receptionist's???  These dipshit's act like it's their first time making appointments. 

psychiatrists r great everybody should c one and take lots of chemical pills for the rest of there life.

Rubberduck There is no need for sarcasm, I honestly  do understand that some of you feel let down by your psychiatrists Lots of us here feel the same way.  As I said before, lots of members do have positive experiences with psychiatrists, and you should not paint them all with the same brush

Magrita

Rubberduck There is no need for sarcasm, I honestly  do understand that some of you feel let down by your psychiatrists Lots of us here feel the same way.  As I said before, lots of members do have positive experiences with psychiatrists, and you should not paint them all with the same brush

Magrita

call it what u will but psychiatry saved my pharmacy so i only have good things to say about it.

i'l admit i used to be anti-psychiatry up until recently when i saw an advertisement on TV for some symptoms i had been suffering from in regards to hating psychiatrists and psychiatry.

i went to c my doctor and asked him about Nuplexadex™ to c if it was right for me and in 5 minutes i was diagnosed with Anti-Psychiatry Disorder and with prescription in hand i went and filled it at the local Super Duper Pharm®.

now i have no negative feelings what so ever towards psychiatry or psychiatrists i am completely enamored with both of them. i even went so far as to start donating 10% of my income to CPS in order that they don't run out of medication for all the orphans they take care of.

although i am experiencing some side effects such as; dry mouth, dizziness, blurry vision, violent outbursts, confusion, crying with tears of blood and my hair fell out and broccoli started growing on top of my head its worth it for the piece of mind.

psychiatrists r great everybody should c one and take lots of chemical pills for the rest of there life.

Magrita

i'l admit i used to be anti-psychiatry up until recently when i saw an advertisement on TV for some symptoms i had been suffering from in regards to hating psychiatrists and psychiatry.

i went to c my doctor and asked him about Nuplexadex to c if it was right for me and in 5 minutes i was diagnosed with Anti-Psychiatry Disorder and with prescription in hand i went and filled it at the local Super Duper Pharm®.

now i have no negative feelings what so ever towards psychiatry or psychiatrists i am completely enamored with both of them. i even went so far as to start donating 10% of my income to CPS in order that they don't run out of medication for all the orphans they take care of.

although i am experiencing some side effects such as; dry mouth, dizziness, blurry vision, violent outbursts, confusion, crying with tears of blood and my hair fell out and broccoli started growing on top of my head its worth it for the piece of mind.

Rubberduck, this is unacceptable.  You know the rules. 

well i didn't say anything that was Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist or Anti-medicine if anything i was being Pro all those things so i don't really c what rules i'm not abiding by unless there's r new rules against Pro-doctor, Pro-psychiatrist and Pro-medicine (which would be horrible).

but if theres something i don't know and there r rules in regards to this i would like to become familiar with them and i will never say another good thing about doctors, psychiatrists or medicine again.

well i didn't say anything that was Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist or Anti-medicine if anything i was being Pro all those things so i don't really c what rules i'm not abiding by unless there's r new rules against Pro-doctor, Pro-psychiatrist and Pro-medicine (which would be horrible).

but if theres something i don't know and there r rules in regards to this i would like to become familiar with them and i will never say another good thing about doctors, psychiatrists or medicine again.

rubberduck,

It's clear what you meant so do not try to skirt the rules here by posting in the manner that you did.  This mocking and derisive type of posting will not be allowed.

I'm not saying people were not given substandard care by doctors and you may discuss your "real" personal experiences, but you can not debase an entire group of physicians or other type of medical professionals.

Consider this a warning.

pianogirl

I never meant to imply that all psychiatrists are bad.  I simply described my experiences with them. And Xanthia, I can assure you that my experiences are not out of a story book at all but entirely true.  You cannot make this stuff up.

i went to c my doctor and asked him about Nuplexadex™ to c if it was right for me and in 5 minutes i was diagnosed with Anti-Psychiatry Disorder and with prescription in hand i went and filled it at the local Super Duper Pharm®.

This is great.

Be careful with nuplexadex though as I have heard it is a gateway drug to hard pharms.

I also took  Nuplexadax for this same disorder and developed penis fall off syndrome. I called my psychiatrist to inform him of this horrible side effect And he told me it was all in my head.

What to do?

I also took  Nuplexadax for this same disorder and developed penis fall off syndrome. I called my psychiatrist to inform him of this horrible side effect And he told me it was all in my head.

What to do?

From the package insert:

"If you notice your penis falling off repeatedly, contact your doctor immediately, as this could be a sign of an underlying illness. Penis fall off syndrome can be successfully managed by taking Nuplexadex Pro."

This is so funny!

Thank you guys for making me laugh!! I would like to participate in your witty posts but my brain has gone by- by on me thanks to Benzos. All I can say is hold on to your penises, once this is over you are going to need it.Lol :thumbsup:

D21

My personal experience is that my psychiatrist is an irresponsible, patronizing, impatient, humorless, arrogant, paternalistic, judgmental, wholly incompetent, insecure, uptight, condescending, control-freak, pill-pushing wing-nut with the insight of a dead houseplant.

I rue the day I ever set my sorry foot in her pretentiously decorated office. She's a menace to society and ought to be in prison.

I hate her.

JMHO. 

:)

I went to my psych doctor while I was tapering from V and asked her for guidance and help while I was tapering. I thought some professional guidance may be reassuring otherwise it felt so scary and lonely. After looking at me with a frozen stare while I was explaining, instead of guiding me with the taper ( I showed her Aston taper) that I really needed and asked for. The good doctor decided to remind me the times I called her with anxiety (which now I know was Benzo withdrawal) but she has no clue, and some depression I experience (because of withdrawal) and made me feel crazy and told me that I need to go on mood stabilizers. I refused, came home did research on mood stabilizers (gave her benefit of the doubt, more then she gave to me). It's for treating bipolar disorder no off label for my situation. I never had any signs of bipolar. I concluded to just take the V prescription from her, taper it on my own Ashton style and with the help of the good people on BB. Thank you all.

I have lost all respect and trust for the medical profession had so many misdiagnoses, that's why I end up on Benzos.

D21