Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

FELINE STRESS

[Sk...]

Hello everybody!

What I thought is this! I trust you guys with life changing situations,so why not ask for your advice also on something totally different? And in the process try to take our minds off things? :)

So here's the story! We have a lovely cat, who like me has been through a lot of stressful incidents in the last three years. Now she is living also with a one year old puppy which she really seems to love.

The stress makes her constantly rip her beautiful tortoiseshell fur coat and now she's beginning to look like a featherless chicken!Poor baby, I hope she doesn't read this ;); she'd hate the definition!!

Tomorrow I have to leave with G. whom she adores.About the impending trip more elsewhere,but it's safe to say that  I think  :-[ I'll be doing some fur ripping as well!  She will be left with Jaime and my mother.

I don't doubt that our leaving and splitting up will trouble her no end.

We gave some thought to taking Tiger with us. But where we're going she would be alone, without a balcony and a view, without the possibility to catch a few sun rays and work on her suntan and without the company of Jaime.

A friend suggested that Jaime needs more disciplining and Tiger needs to feel more attention. The friend hasn't seen them together,though ,so she doesn't really know. The vet says it's in Tiger's nature  and there's nothing to do about it.

In my state I obviously questioned myself and I spent yesterday observing Tiger. Jaime and Tiger were in their basket together and Tiger was grooming Jaime ! It was a beautiful sight. I don't know. This is not a cat who spends a lot of alone time. She's continuously made much of.

So should I bring her with me?

And besides that, what can I do to make life better for my poor sensitive Tiger?

BTW there are tranquilizers for cats as well!!!UUUGGGH!

Any buddies who are experts also on  cats and not only on GABA receptors ::)?

I'm not an expert on cats, but I like them. :) I have a friend who is a doctor and she used to give her cat xanax PRN. ::) Poor cat. I always wondered if the cat would get addicted. I still wonder if it ever did. :idiot:

Snoball :)

Hi, I consider myself a cat expert, since I've had cats all my life (60+ years), purebreds, shelter cats, all kinds.

Cats, unlike dogs, are generally more attached to their environments (territory) than they are to their people.  If they are taken far away from familiar surroundings it can be extremely stressful for them. This is one reason you generally don't see people walking their cats out on leashes, etc.  Over-grooming is definitely a sign of feline anxiety. Tortoishells tend to be feisty and a little on the nervous side, but usually not to the point of denuding themselves. :crazy:

Once when I moved to another state I had to ship five cats via air freight.  The vet prescribed valium, and I think it was about 1-2 mg per cat.  4 of the 5 cats were quite sedated, but the fifth went wild and flopped around in his carrier like a fish.  This was very alarming, especially for the poor cat, and I'd never give my cats benzos again, unless it was unavoidable.

Once when I moved to another state I had to ship five cats via air freight.  The vet prescribed valium, and I think it was about 1-2 mg per cat.  4 of the 5 cats were quite sedated, but the fifth went wild and flopped around in his carrier like a fish.  This was very alarming, especially for the poor cat, and I'd never give my cats benzos again, unless it was unavoidable.

That was exactly the experience I had with two cats about 20 years ago when I last moved. I was worried that the car ride and the new enviroment would stress them too much, so I asked the vet what I could go, and she gave me some valium for them. I can't remember the dose, and of course I knew absolutely nothing about valium back then.

The effect was horrible. Both cats were totally traumatised by the incident. I think they would have been far less upset if I'd just let them alone and allowed them to experience the situation drug-free. Never again.

To SkyHD - I think I'm pretty good with cats too, after having had cats my entire life. If it's okay to leave Tiger where she is, with her familiar surroundings, and friends she is comfortable with, that would be the best solution. Cats don't take well to having their environments changed. They are very much creatures of habit. If she's prone to being a bit of a nervous nelly, moving her could make her much worse, plus she will be lonely without her baby (Jaime) and she may fret.

Jackson Galaxy's Spirit Essences are natural, plant based & might be just the thing for your nervous kitty.

I'm not a seller of these products, nor do I own stock either! I AM a fan of his show & like what he teaches about cats & their behavior.  ;D

Cats don't generally travel very well so she'll probably be better off staying at home.

My cat was quite a nervous boy and did a similar thing with excessive grooming, he developed eosinophilic plaques (lick granulomas) on his hind legs.

After many visits to the vet and all manner of treatments I finally consulted with an older vet who worked in emergency veterinary medicine and had years of experience.

He said if Forrest were his cat he would not treat the plaques. I followed his advice and sure enough, they cleared up on their own.

I think cats are just like us ... sometimes the best treatment is no treatment.

FWIW I would never give a cat valium or any other benzo. It is too unpredictable.

Have a happy trip and try not to worry! :)

Jackson Galaxy's Spirit Essences are natural, plant based & might be just the thing for your nervous kitty.

I'm not a seller of these products, nor do I own stock either! I AM a fan of his show & like what he teaches about cats & their behavior.  ;D

I LOVE the Cat Daddy!!!!

I found this by Patrick Tate:

Question: We have a 5-year-old cat who recently started pulling out his fur. He's done this in the past, but not as severely as he is now. What causes cats to do this and how should the condition be treated?

Answer: It is not uncommon to see cats with self-inflicted hair loss. Generally speaking, "hair pulling" in cats is caused by a medical or behavioral problem. Both issues have numerous subcategories ranging from stressful situations to skin parasites, allergies, infections and more. A thorough medical history and physical examination along with some basic diagnostic tests (skin scrapes, blood tests and possible skin biopsy) can help to accurately diagnose the problem. With this information, we can usually implement a successful plan for resolving, or at least minimizing, the hair loss.

In this particular cat’s case—and with past history in mind—I would first take a close look at the skin for evidence of inflammation. If inflammation is present, I would look for the medical reason (e.g., fleas, skin mites, food or environmental allergy) and treat it appropriately.

If the skin appears normal, I would discuss possible sources of psychological stress for this kitty (e.g., recent move, new pet in house, neighborhood cats). I would also check for metabolic illnesses like hyperthyroidism and diabetes—both are known to cause anxiety in cats. Based on this information, I would then develop a plan to correct the underlying cause of stress. Often, anti-anxiety medications and/or feline behavioral modification are helpful.

Hopefully, these steps would resolve the "hair-pulling" problem.

Oh, I see he suggests anti-anxiety medications at the end!  :crazy:

Hi;

I'm a cat person from way back when, and know lots about their nature. Cats are very much tied to their own homes. Changing living places would make your cat so terribly sad and scared. I tried it once and my cat hid under the bed for months, wouldn't eat, and after trying many times to let him outside, he just leaned against the door, desperate to get back inside, only to hide again. He was miserable and terrified. One day he just walked into the middle of the road, sat there until someone ran him over. He committed suicide. Keep him where he belongs, at home! I can't stress that enuf. Betsy