Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

using heroin to relieve accute benzo withdrawal symptoms

[ch...]

Hi folks! I am looking for some solid advice on the following issue. My storey; I suffer from 2 serious addictions, namely alcohol and benzodiazepines. I have been sober by the grace of God and AA for 2 years and feel that I have a good recovery from alcohol. Earlier this year I relapsed with the benzos and was back to 15+mg alprazolam daily. For the past 6 months I have tapered down successfully and took my last 2mg diazepam pill on new years eve.

My w/d is now starting to hurt and based on prior experience I will be in hell for the next 4-8 weeks. I have started smoking small quantities of heroin when the symptoms (acute anxiety, stiff neck and jaw, insomnia..... etc) become unbearable. It works. Now, I know to some readers this may sound like madness but I am looking for some solid non biased advice. I know, I could be swapping one addiction for another (although I have always smoked heroin in the past on occasion without abusing it). What I would like to know is;

Has anybody ever tried this?

Has anybody ever used any other opiates / opiods to relieve benzo w/d symptoms?

Are there any dangers involved?

Is this off the wall madness?

The point is that it seems to give me relief from my symptoms and to me benzo w/d is the most frightening and uncomfortable thing that I know. I have heard some people find marijuana and some other illegal drugs of benefit but I don't like to smoke marijuana as it makes me paranoid and irritable.

I guess I am writing for advice because although I am getting significant relief I am not entirely comfortable with this approach and at the back of my mind I am scared that I wont be able to quit using the heroin as soon as the acute phase of the benzo withdrawal is finished.

Many thanks and god bless all my benzo buddies.

I wouldn't do it. If heroin is helping then it is probably doing something physically similar to the benzo and you are swapping one addiction for another. That's a pretty expensive habit and obviously not sustainable. Opiate withdrawal is pretty nightmarish. Trying to be as objective as possible here. Desperation leads to poor decisions. Please be careful. I would not advise this at all. You will have to stop at some point, and by then your withdrawal might be twice as bad.

Hi folks! I am looking for some solid advice on the following issue. My storey; I suffer from 2 serious addictions, namely alcohol and benzodiazepines. I have been sober by the grace of God and AA for 2 years and feel that I have a good recovery from alcohol. Earlier this year I relapsed with the benzos and was back to 15+mg alprazolam daily. For the past 6 months I have tapered down successfully and took my last 2mg diazepam pill on new years eve.

My w/d is now starting to hurt and based on prior experience I will be in hell for the next 4-8 weeks. I have started smoking small quantities of heroin when the symptoms (acute anxiety, stiff neck and jaw, insomnia..... etc) become unbearable. It works. Now, I know to some readers this may sound like madness but I am looking for some solid non biased advice. I know, I could be swapping one addiction for another (although I have always smoked heroin in the past on occasion without abusing it). What I would like to know is;

The point is that it seems to give me relief from my symptoms and to me benzo w/d is the most frightening and uncomfortable thing that I know. I have heard some people find marijuana and some other illegal drugs of benefit but I don't like to smoke marijuana as it makes me paranoid and irritable.

I guess I am writing for advice because although I am getting significant relief I am not entirely comfortable with this approach and at the back of my mind I am scared that I wont be able to quit using the heroin as soon as the acute phase of the benzo withdrawal is finished.

Hello chestertt,

I have to remind you about our forum policies concerning the use of illegal drugs:

•Do not promote illegal drug use. Nor should you describe drug paraphernalia, exalt positive experiences, or glorify their use. Please keep descriptions factual and dispassionate.

•Do not promote the abuse (or illegal or inappropriate use) of medicines.

•Do not promote addictive (or habit forming) substances as withdrawal adjunctives.

Please take a moment to refer to our guidelines concerning this matter: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=25835.0

In addition, you are going down a slippery slope by replacing one addictive substance with another.  Yes, benzo withdrawal symptoms can be pretty awful and for us here it is usually the hardest thing we have ever done. The good thing if that it is temporary and that time will allow your central nervous system to recover. 

pianogirl

You are trading one addiction for another, for sure. This isn't a good idea, this will not end well, and if you've really been through a lot of 12-step programs you already know that.

To me this is in the same realm as someone who develops foot pain during benzo w/d and asks if cutting their feet off is a bad idea.

I'm on 50 mgs of tramadol every 24 hours but I started taking it for pain in June 2012 and now want to get off but am waiting till afpter my taper is done because I don't think I can handle trying to taper off both at once,

The point is that it seems to give me relief from my symptoms I AM SURE IT DOES, IT'S HEROIN! and to me benzo w/d is the most frightening and uncomfortable thing that I know. I have heard some people find marijuana and some other illegal drugs of benefit but I don't like to smoke marijuana as it makes me paranoid and irritable.

BOLD and RED..............in my opinion you have answered your own question.

Hi:

I agree with everyone here. Like BB, I do not condone the use of illegal drugs either during or post taper withdrawal, or at all. There are other, safer ways to help with withdrawal. Unfortunately, time is the best solution. By admission, you are already an addict. Using herion is very very bad. Using it ocassionally will lead to full blown addiction, especially for someone who is already an addict and prone to it. Herion is a very addictive drug and from what I understand, is quite unpleasant to withdraw from. You are already are going through a 12-step program. 12-step programs do not condone the use of another drug. Even tho you are in a 12-step program, by using herion you are not sober. Deal with the withdrawal as best as you can, without the use of illegal drugs. Time will heal your symptoms. There are many success stories of BBers healed 100% without the use of such drugs. It can and will be done, but only if you are willing to make the effort. To me, using herion eventually = a nightmare. Betsy

You are trading one addiction for another, for sure. This isn't a good idea, this will not end well, and if you've really been through a lot of 12-step programs you already know that.

To me this is in the same realm as someone who develops foot pain during benzo w/d and asks if cutting their feet off is a bad idea.

Spengler:

What a good analogy. Betsy

really, if you were not a addict already (youve said youre more or less a alcoholic, then I might not think its so outlandish,,,although I still think its outlandish lol...

but, since you have that in the mix (addiction), some addiction people would say that youre still using,,, from alcohol, to benzo, to heroin....to be free you gotta stop using drugs...

you can say youre doing it for the benzo withdrawals, but will the withdrawals stop, and will you then stop the heroin? and stay clean? for a significant length of time? before you use something else for whatever reasons???

in the end I think you gotta stop everything and suffer through the last side effects, which is where you say you are,, so why "f" it up???

with the heroin videos on youtube Ive seen I wouldnt touch it...

I use a low dose beta blocker, metoprolol, and it helps me a lot with the side effects, it makes them bearable, maybe you could ask your Dr about something like that....

Hi Chestertt,

Well done for your sobreity from alcohol, you deserve huge kudos for that. Alcohol is my worst demon.

Anyway I just wanted to add that. It speaks volumes about your strength and determination.  :thumbsup:

Chinook  :hug:

I don't know why but I don't feel comfortable with having a thread about heroin use in a benzo withdrawal forum. I don't see how it's relevant and not detrimental.

Sorry if I sounded too righteous, not my intention but how it feels to me.

I don't know why but I don't feel comfortable with having a thread about heroin use in a benzo withdrawal forum. I don't see how it's relevant and not detrimental.

Sorry if I sounded too righteous, not my intention but how it feels to me.

i agree guitarman, gives me the creeps. :o

I thought that took tremendous courage of Chester to make his post and I appreciate his honesty.

I'd like to see this discussion lean towards helping him find a healthier and more wholistic way of handling his situation.

As he points out in his post he's not comfortable with it himself, so please can we put judgment aside and offer encouragement and support.

Chinook

Chinookwind, i suppose you are right, i should not have replied to this thread.

i am sorry, but to me it is just not comprehensible , no matter how hard i try.

i do appologize and wish chestertt all the best. :)

There is no appropriate place for this thread but the OP clearly took this path due to desperation. We all know how terrible withdrawal can be and many people find the need to grab onto anything that might help ease the pain. This is just a dangerous way to find relief.

I hope that you can hang in there chestertt and continue to get the help you need. We're pulling for you.

pianogirl

Chester,

Good for you for having kicked alcohol and trying to get off the benzos. You seem to know that heroin is not the best way to do it. No judgement here- I went through a hellish wd and really would have used anything just to stop the pain( Luckily I've no idea how get it).

I used a antidepressant called Mirtazapine( Remeron)to get me off, it helped me sleep, eat took away a little of the pain. Do you have a dr that can help you taper off the benzo? It's going to be rough, but you already know that ...

Hi chestertt,

Whilst I don't think you broke any rules (you merely explained your situation and asked for help and opinions - this is allowed by the rules), discussion of these matters will almost inevitably breach our posting guidelines. In particular, the third point:

• Do not promote illegal drug use. Nor should you describe drug paraphernalia, exalt positive experiences, or glorify their use. Please keep descriptions factual and dispassionate.

• Do not promote the abuse (or illegal or inappropriate use) of medicines.

• Do not promote addictive (or habit forming) substances as withdrawal adjunctives.

We've had one or two members raise this subject in the past, but as I recall, they were actively promoting the use of opiates and clearly broke our guidelines. Whilst I in no way sense that this is your intent, I think further discussion of the matter will amount to the same thing.

I am not locking this thread (for the time being), but what is discussed here must be limited. I am also moving this thread to the Off-topic board. As pianogirl explained, there is no appropriate board for this subject at BB - this is telling in of itself! At least 'off-topic' is suggestive of this being an outlier discussion, and Off-topic is a members-only board (I wouldn't wish for us to give the wrong impression of what BB is about to guests and search engines).

I wish you well, chestertt, but what you ask of us is outside the scope of this community. Maybe members can help you with other suggestions and locate other resources.

Good luck,

Colin.

Heartfelt thanks to all those who offered me good, honest and most importantly pragmatic advice to this unusual posting. To those who tried to give me a sly boot in the ribs I will pray for you so that one day you may have empathy for others whose recovery attempts are less mainstream and less legal I guess too!!

Good night from Eire

chester

Please dont be offended by anyone here, it's just that even though this is a board revolving around what I assume to be commonly-abused drugs, the very large majority of us are not addicts and so do not quite understand. I personally cannot even fathom why someone would want to turn to a drug as horrible as heroin, but if its in your makeup to seek that out, I really can't think of anything harder for you than benzo withdrawal. I bet if I were you I might have done the same thing.

I hope you have professionals who know you're going through this and how real it is. If you're at risk of using heroin to manage withdrawal symptoms then I'd think you need to take drastic yet much safer methods to control your symptoms.

Chester,

I think some responded to you in a rash way because the Benzo withdrawal is brutal and to add a heroin withdrawal sounds like a nightmare and a disaster. Will using heroin effect your healing? Of course it will, deep down you know this. So will alcohol etc...

Stay strong my friend, you can do this.

I thought that took tremendous courage of Chester to make his post and I appreciate his honesty.

I'd like to see this discussion lean towards helping him find a healthier and more wholistic way of handling his situation.

As he points out in his post he's not comfortable with it himself, so please can we put judgment aside and offer encouragement and support.

Chinook

I think I need to clarify my comment further, this is a benzo withdrawal forum, not heroin withdrawal, it's not about being judgmental but about being true to the purpose of this site.

While I absolutely sympathise with the poster I believe we need to preserve the integrity and purpose of this forum and I'm sure there are appropriate ones that deal with different types of dependencies and addictions.

Heartfelt thanks to all those who offered me good, honest and most importantly pragmatic advice to this unusual posting. To those who tried to give me a sly boot in the ribs I will pray for you so that one day you may have empathy for others whose recovery attempts are less mainstream and less legal I guess too!!

Good night from Eire

good morning Eire from Austria.

i find your reaction rather odd. what did you expect ? what kind of support did you imagine

you will get ?