Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can you taper alcohol?

[Bi...]

I don't think alcohol tapers are terribly successful Bird.

Does this individual have a history of seizures?

I've worked in detox and seen people take seizures on beer.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this position.  :hug:

Thanks Chinook,  I don't know what to do yet.

I asked my friend, hes a old pro at this,, he said the best way hes found is to taper over 3 days then cold turkey, keep some on hand in case they start shaking really bad, in danger of seizure, or start hallucenating,, also a bp cuff, and access to the ER......he said it aint pretty......

I dont understand tho, if dude hasnt said hes an alcoholic,,, then why is he tapering and stuff?

does he just think he's drank too much for too long and wants to cut down? or stop?

Ive known my friend all my life, and I played with his addiction game in the beginning, but I found out, as did all our other friends, that it was just a game to him basically... we did everything for him back then, but realized that he doesnt quit until he wants too.....you can "help" all you want and get him on the wine, etc.....but the fact is hes still on it.. and most likely, if hes like my friend, he'll stay on it until he decides to really do something, which he can do by himself, if ya know what I mean......

plus if he is a addict, nothing will help long until he admits that to himself...

if hes not a addict then the taper like what my friend said should work, but again, it wont be pretty...he said a long taper just never worked for him, but then again, he is a alcoholic...

Hi Bird, i understand your drive to help. Unfortunately, I do tend to agree with Benzy.

My sister is a life ling alcoholic who has attended several state of the art rehabs without any sustainable results. Unless & until someone can admit their addiction & want to be done with it, they will often seem to be complying with withdrawal proposals but in reality being completely resistant.

My sister had a million reasons why various treatment options were not viable for her, including being anti-med & other programs being against her buddhist philosophy. At age 52, she is as alcohol dependent & damaged as ever.

I have great admiration for alcoholics who have managed to overcome their addiction as it's a life or death matter for my sister & despite her many resources, it has not yet been possible for her.

I wish you luck.

the guy Im talkn about has been a alcoholic since grade school...

he still falls off the wagon when he wants too, he tells us hes drinkn because he wants too.

why he would want to go through that is beyond me, because its horrific when he does it...

we all steer clearl now when hes drinkn, because its not worth it anymore to "babysit" him, especially since hes gotten a bit more honest with us at this point in his disease...

its a progressive disease, so even if theyre sober 20 years and fall off the wagon, its like they never quit, they'll drink as much then as if they had never quit....

the stuff he goes through when drunk and cold turkeying is horrible..hes just like the dude in this video, if not worse,,, somehow he aint dead yet....

at this time hes on the wagon again thank god and president bolama

Im glad your friend is doing better right now.

I haven't watched the vid but my sister has caused serious damage, (physical & pschological) to herself & others but somehow has 9 lives. She has managed to get off several serious charges, (shes very clever & well qualified) & has had incidents withe police & fire brigade, (some of which would be funny if they were not so serious). I don't think escaping the consequences so many times has been helpful for her.

Last time he appeared before a judge (drunk) he peed right there on the floor....not in his pants, he was hallucinating and though he was in a bathroom...

Hi

For my two bits worth

I think it's really dangerous to have an unsupervised withdrawal from alcohol,  if the relative is anything like Ryan in the documentary, a professional environment is a must, even with this people die like Ryan. Of course the alcoholic must truly want off the sauce, if not it's just a waste of time. Alcoholics tend to be people that have not fully grown mentally so counselling is a must to get down to the real life problems that they face and help them.

Good luck

Dd.

I agree with David. A medically supervised detox is the best and safest way to go.

There's a saying at AA, "detach with love." You may have to do that Bird. I know it's hard.

Hugs from Chinook  :hug: