Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can you taper alcohol?

[Bi...]

A very sad documentary. Thanks for sharing it.

Yeah, I cried :'(  I was expecting a happy ending.  I wonder if these people in the rehab centers know what they are doing sometimes?  I think most people on this forum would make the best rehab doctors!  I really do!!  Unless you have been through it you can't really know what to do.

Yeah, I cried :'(  I was expecting a happy ending.  I wonder if these people in the rehab centers know what they are doing sometimes?  I think most people on this forum would make the best rehab doctors!  I really do!!  Unless you have been through it you can't really know what to do.

It ended abruptly. I was hoping that some of what happened in the rehab clinic would have been included. It does seem that he was in pretty rough shape physically though.

that was hysterical snowball, sorry birdman

sure you can taper alcohol, you can taper anything Id guess...

I didnt watch the video...

(if youre a addict, it would be tricky tho, but if they were seriously wanting off, they could taper, or most could)

I watched it,,, someone like that couldn't taper themselves, no..

my best life-long friend makes this guy look like a angel...

pint? not in his vocabulary..

this is extreme alcoholism, if you can say that...

Hi Birdman, It is possible to taper off alcohol, but you would need to be very determined. I stopped drinking over 20 years ago, that's when my doctor gave me benzos to help with panic attacks I was having, I stayed on benzos 24 years. :crazy:  My sister went into an alcohol unit 30 years ago and was weaned of the alcohol using benzodiazepines, she came out of the unit off both benzos and alcohol

When I look back, I thought I wasn't strong enough to taper off the drink...I realise after going through benzo withdrawal I was well tough enough!!!

Magrita

Hi Birdman, It is possible to taper off alcohol, but you would need to be very determined. I stopped drinking over 20 years ago, that's when my doctor gave me benzos to help with panic attacks I was having, I stayed on benzos 24 years. :crazy:  My sister went into an alcohol unit 30 years ago and was weaned of the alcohol using benzodiazepines, she came out of the unit off both benzos and alcohol

When I look back, I thought I wasn't strong enough to taper off the drink...I realise after going through benzo withdrawal I was well tough enough!!!

Magrita

Hi magrita,  I have a family member that is an Alcoholic. I'm worried since they HATE pills, will not even take aspirin, NOTHING.  In rehab they MAKE you take pills so he would die there I am sure.  The only option I have is to design a taper plan using Alcohol.  I have no idea where to start.  Right now he drinks from 3:00PM to Midnight usually passes out from 8:00PM to 11:00PM and then wakes for an hour in a VERY abusive bad mode and then has a night cap.    So far I tapered him off all hard alcohol and he only drinks wine now (80oz to 100oz per day)

How would I start?  Does the dosing need to be around the clock like benzo's or start the taper in the normal drinking hours from 3PM to 12MID?

I need some good advice, this person is killing himself and is the most stubborn person I know!  Told me he would rather die than go to rehab or take a pill.

Thanks

Bird

I dunno what all you've said yet, so...if I repeat it....

my friend I was referring to, I went to a lot of AA stuff with him in the beginning years ago...

first things first,, does he consider himself a alcoholic? and does he himself want to quit....

that might seem lika no brainer, just askn...that where ya have to start tho to get off booze successfully

my friends a pro at jumping on and off the wagon,, he looked just like this video or worse..and hes been through sooooooooooooooo many rehabs,, I might call and ask him for some beginning pointers, but I know these two question I asked are the important basis for getting off...

Ive heard him mention tapering but hes usually still playing around at that point, so I dont know that hes ever done that... usually when hes ready to stop he cold turkeys...it aint pretty....

Hi Birdie. I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. I didn't watch the video at first, and I didn't know this pertained to your own personal situation.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Love,

Snoball

I was finally able to watch the whole video, I think you should remove it, it's horrible, not supportive in any way, this is a support website full of fragile people, not a government funded state rehab that needs horrible scare tactics, whether theyre true or not, I don't consider myself fragile and it has me all f'd up since yesterday, I can imagine what fragile people would feel, and nobody say "nobody made them watch it", people can't help but look. Atleast cover the link both above it and below it with "DON'T WATCH IF YOUR FRAGILE", if youre not gonna remove it, I sent the link in but the mod that go the message didn't seem to see the problem. It's got me messed up at the end if my taper, smooth sailing so far til now, hope it doesn't hurt others as well, thanks a lot.

Hi magrita,  I have a family member that is an Alcoholic. I'm worried since they HATE pills, will not even take aspirin, NOTHING.  In rehab they MAKE you take pills so he would die there I am sure.  The only option I have is to design a taper plan using Alcohol.  I have no idea where to start.  Right now he drinks from 3:00PM to Midnight usually passes out from 8:00PM to 11:00PM and then wakes for an hour in a VERY abusive bad mode and then has a night cap.    So far I tapered him off all hard alcohol and he only drinks wine now (80oz to 100oz per day)

How would I start?  Does the dosing need to be around the clock like benzo's or start the taper in the normal drinking hours from 3PM to 12MID?

I need some good advice, this person is killing himself and is the most stubborn person I know!  Told me he would rather die than go to rehab or take a pill.

Thanks

Bird

Bird - I would give it a try.

I see at least 3 main issues -

Physical dependence on alcohol

Physical dependance on sugar from the wine and alcohol

Psychological addiction

If you tapered him yourself so he had no access to alcohol and your relationship could handle the stress, it might be a good solution.

If the taper worked, his body would be in a more receptive state to begin addiction treatment.

River

I also think that drugs such as Heroin and Cocaine should be tapered.

I think the main reason that they are not is because their us is illegal and tapering would present legal and logistical problems in a professional setting.

So instead of solving these problems they force a ct, which is harder on the body and causes it's own problems.

I have tapered from heroin -like opiates due to a spinal operation and it was far better than a ct.

Thanks

Bird

Dear Bird, :hug: its wonderful that you are wanting to do this, you need to be strong!! It would be better if you got them on beer if possible.  Using wine they might just wind up getting drunk again because it has a higher alcohol content than beer. 

Try to limit them  to drinking no more alcohol than necessary when you start tapering.  Just enough to keep the sweats and shakes at bay. Then gradually reduce the consumption of beer or wine  as you continue to taper.

If the withdrawal is not too extreme they should  be tapered off in a day or so. Some people may, however take longer--three days or even a week. If they start to feel withdrawals... that's a sign that the taper is not done yet.

Once you get them through that,it is entirely up to them, to stay off.  AA is a wonderful fellowship, if you can possibly introduce your relative, if you could go with them to a meeting, they will soon make friends.

Be firm and stick with the plan, good luck to you,

Magrita :smitten:

I don't think alcohol tapers are terribly successful Bird.

Does this individual have a history of seizures?

I've worked in detox and seen people take seizures on beer.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this position.  :hug:

I dunno what all you've said yet, so...if I repeat it....

my friend I was referring to, I went to a lot of AA stuff with him in the beginning years ago...

first things first,, does he consider himself a alcoholic? and does he himself want to quit....

that might seem lika no brainer, just askn...that where ya have to start tho to get off booze successfully

my friends a pro at jumping on and off the wagon,, he looked just like this video or worse..and hes been through sooooooooooooooo many rehabs,, I might call and ask him for some beginning pointers, but I know these two question I asked are the important basis for getting off...

No benzy, he does not see it as a problem, he thinks I HAVE the problem and that I should mind my own business. Then brings up my benzo taper as a defense tactic to justify his drinking. :'(

He has no seizure history.

I also think that drugs such as Heroin and Cocaine should be tapered.

I think the main reason that they are not is because their us is illegal and tapering would present legal and logistical problems in a professional setting.

So instead of solving these problems they force a ct, which is harder on the body and causes it's own problems.

I have tapered from heroin -like opiates due to a spinal operation and it was far better than a ct.

Thanks River, I agree, I have tapered OXYCONTIN and it was actually easy, just had flu like symptoms.  Drs. never taper you so now after oral surgeries I always save half my pills and do my own tapers. Taking OXY for a month and c/t'ing sucks so bad :sick: :sick: :sick:  I taper EVERYTHING these days even vitamins.

Thanks

Bird

Dear Bird, :hug: its wonderful that you are wanting to do this, you need to be strong!! It would be better if you got them on beer if possible.  Using wine they might just wind up getting drunk again because it has a higher alcohol content than beer. 

Try to limit them  to drinking no more alcohol than necessary when you start tapering.  Just enough to keep the sweats and shakes at bay. Then gradually reduce the consumption of beer or wine  as you continue to taper.

If the withdrawal is not too extreme they should  be tapered off in a day or so. Some people may, however take longer--three days or even a week. If they start to feel withdrawals... that's a sign that the taper is not done yet.

Once you get them through that,it is entirely up to them, to stay off.  AA is a wonderful fellowship, if you can possibly introduce your relative, if you could go with them to a meeting, they will soon make friends.

Be firm and stick with the plan, good luck to you,

Magrita :smitten:

Hi Magrita, do you think it would be that quick?  I was thinking 10% cuts every week and rationing it out.  Someone said on youtube to dilute the wine with more and more water over the coarse of several months.

Bird