Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Deep Brain Stimulation

[Ne...]

The university medical school is asking for volunteers for people with lifelong depression who are not helped with ADs. I qualify. It is a procedure that involves putting an electrode in the brain and is attached to an implanted power pack pacemaker-like device.

I don't know if I should or not. Thoughts anyone?

Fascinating

Do you qualify even though you are tapering?

I guess I'd sign up except maybe not when I was tapering just because who know what is going on with your brain. It may help the benzo withdrawal though. And I guess the worse thing that happens is it makes things worse for a bit and you hold and opt out. Just make sure there is an opt out.

It wouldn't be done until next year, but it is very tempting. I have been depressed since childhood. Even if it just worked for a little while...wow...I could actually feel happiness, even a little bit.  Still, maybe it's not such a great idea. It is artificial, like drugs. I'd kind of feel like a cyborg in a way. Maybe psychosurgery is the next bane to society like psychotropic drugs were. A lot to consider.

VERY INVASIVE PROCEDURE! You do realize that to get the electrode deep into your brain they will have to penetrate healthy grey matter with wire electrode(s)?

This procedure is often used for Parkinson patients who have little other recourse. I would think very carefully before submitting to this. :oXo:

To be depressed your whole life .... Is that any less distressing than Parkinson's? Deep dark and often lonely depression is just as debilitating as any disease. 

I wish for you and everyone that needs it that modern health care had something better to offer at this point in time than what it does

Not to get you down

Who knows maybee we'll find something some day and we'll gain the happiness we were always looking for

The depression exists across the spectrum of me. Surely, however, I am used to being severely depressed as a way of life.

This whole benzo issue has given me serious pause regarding trust in things medical. I'm not sure I really want my brain experimented on any further. Maybe I'll wait for the meta-analysis to be written. I remember two patients I had with severe seizure disorders who opted for surgery to remove the bit of the brain causing the problem.  Both are now dead - suicide. Yes, the surgery stopped the seizures, but unforeseen psychological problems developed. (A side effect they had not factored into the picture).

Yep...on careful re-think I'll just give this one a pass. Thanks, but 'no thanks'. My brain has been tampered with quite enough.