Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Who all is German or of German ancestry here?

[On...]

I've been wondering this because it appears I've seen quite a few Germans here, and I wonder if for some reason we are more susceptible to benzo dependancy/problems. I've heard this theory before, but wanted to know if it has some truth.

I'm about 3/4 German.  My dad can drink Black Velvet whiskey by the gallon.

I'm curious...how did you know there are a lot of Germans here?  Where did you hear this theory?

I'm curious...how did you know there are a lot of Germans here?  Where did you hear this theory?

Since benzo's are kind of a powdered form of alcohol (sort of ::)) there could be genetic changes in European genes that draw people to benzo's and fast addiction.  I know that the very day I started benzo's I also quit drinking since I did not feel the need for a relaxing drink any longer.  I even told people urging me to drink "I take pill's and you drink, I'd prefer not having a hangover" 

Well I'm sure having hang over now :(  18 months worth and counting.  Back then I had no idea were this would end :'(

Actually it was birds thoery, but i did see a lot of german writing and with my terrible time I'm having. Idk maybe its nothing

Since benzo's are kind of a powdered form of alcohol (sort of ::)) there could be genetic changes in European genes that draw people to benzo's and fast addiction.  I know that the very day I started benzo's I also quit drinking since I did not feel the need for a relaxing drink any longer.  I even told people urging me to drink "I take pill's and you drink, I'd prefer not having a hangover" 

Well I'm sure having hang over now :(  18 months worth and counting.  Back then I had no idea were this would end :'(

Interesting theory Birdman.  Thanks for the explanation.  I drank quite a bit myself in college.  Before benzos I would often have some wine in the evening.  But like almost everyone else here, I'm now both caffeine and alcohol free.  The one thing I haven't given up is my dark chocolate.  :)

Hey Precious Daughter! :D:) Isn't dark chocolate a serotonin booster or something. I heard it was semi-healthy if eaten in moderation. You would know...so smart...A walking holistic encyclopedia ;D

Snoball ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering this because it appears I've seen quite a few Germans here, and I wonder if for some reason we are more susceptible to benzo dependancy/problems. I've heard this theory before, but wanted to know if it has some truth.

i am a German native speaker but half Austrian and half Italian.

Beer , Wine, Schnaps, Whiskey ..........the alcohol problem is increasing year by year

and thats official.

the benzo-problem ........god knows but its increasing thats for sure. :(

Claudia. Wie geht es Dir?

I love the Sound of Österrichischen Deutsch.

My Family comes from Way South Germany and have a Lot of the Same Sounds in their German.

My iPhone Keyboard is Set to German right now because I was sending an Email to Germany before this. it capitalizes everything I Type. I dont feel like fighting it.

Flutter put the Vienna Boys choir on her Blog today.

Sie haben Still still still gesungen.

Carol

Claudia. Wie geht es Dir?

I love the Sound of Österrichischen Deutsch.

My Family comes from Way South Germany and have a Lot of the Same Sounds in their German.

My iPhone Keyboard is Set to German right now because I was sending an Email to Germany before this. it capitalizes everything I Type. I dont feel like fighting it.

Flutter put the Vienna Boys choir on her Blog today.

Sie haben Still still still gesungen.

Carol

ich muss lachen Carol. :)

you are so far away and now you are right here asking me that in German.

its funny, the Vienna Boys choir are heard more often abroad than overehere in Austria.

if your Family comes from around Bavaria , the  slang is similar to the one where

i live in Carinthia. its a small world now, isn't it ?

mir geht es noch nicht so gut, but its getting better slowly. i wish i was like you,

over 2 years off . bist du jetzt ganz gesund ? i hope so.

bis bald

claudia :smitten:

mir geht es noch nicht so gut, but its getting better slowly. i wish i was like you,

over 2 years off . bist du jetzt ganz gesund ? i hope so.

Claudia

Nein, ich bin noch nicht ganz gesund. But I am doing quite well. Sleep is still a big problem for me.

At home I can manage to get about 6 hours of sleep although I spend about 3 hours getting to sleep.

I would say that I am about 80% healed.

You will get there too.

yes my family is from Memmingen which is just north of the east corner of the Boden See.

Schwäbisch is the dialect of my family.

Yes the word is so much smaller now. It is quite amazing that real people can communicate on a meaningful level across the world.

Today we drove 3 1/2 hours north of Calgary to Edmonton to spend 2 days with our daughter.

Canada is such a large country and we regularly drive that far just to spend one night.

Nice to see you too Claudia.

Love Carol