Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Drugs CREATING so called "mental illnesses"!!

[Ro...]

How in the hell is this not true?? If they basically deny or ignore what these drugs do to people then they are CREATING mental illnesses! WTF kind of a world is this? Fibromyalgia, Bipolar and a host of other bullshit! How do they continue to get away with this??? DAMN!

I don't know, Ihate it. Damn the greedy! I should have researched, Iput too much faith in my dr, I'm paying for it. I want my life back, Iknow we all do

My whole life, I heard my grandmother was bi-polar. She was even committed for a month. Heard many horror stories about her, although she was always very nice to me.

Recently, thanks to my experience with benzos, I asked my mom if grandma had ever taken drugs before her breakdown. Found out, she had been on a cocktail of prescribed uppers and downers, switching to different ones and adding new drugs to control side effects BEFORE her breakdown.

Now I wonder how much of her problem was natural and how much induced. I wonder how much better my mom's and aunts' childhood might have been. We'll never know.

During C/T I truly thought I had lost my mind!!  If a shrink had got a hold of me at that point in my weakest hour I have no doubt that I'd be in poly drug hell by now :'( :'( :'( :'(

I wonder if benzo's are ever looked at as some kind of GATEWAY drug at times.

I have to admit that I have seen 7 Drs. in the last 16 months and racked up $42,000.00

in bills.  That's more money than I ever spent in my life on health care!!!

And every penny was indirectly from benzo's.  They made out like bandits and

they owe it all to benzo's in my case.

How in the hell is this not true?? If they basically deny or ignore what these drugs do to people then they are CREATING mental illnesses! WTF kind of a world is this? Fibromyalgia, Bipolar and a host of other bullshit! How do they continue to get away with this??? DAMN!

You might enjoy reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. He is a journalist. It is well researched. The statistics do in fact show that "mental illness" has increased greatly during the age of the "miracle" pscyh drugs. The basic message of the book is that drugs might be causing the problem, not curing it.

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Epidemic-Psychiatric-Astonishing-ebook/dp/B0036S4EGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382792391&sr=8-1&keywords=anatomy+of+an+epidemic

This, I believe, is probably what happened to me.  I was having anxiety and what I thought were panic attacks.  I thought they were panic attacks because I couldn't explain what was happening any other way.  The anxiety was outside of my experience.

So the docs decided that benzos would help the anxiety.  They did, at first, without the baggage they bring later.  Because benzos helped it confirmed for me that I was having panic attacks.  I assumed the docs knew what they were doing.

Tolerance and interdose withdrawals were something inherent in the use of this class of drugs and the way to deal with these was to find the "right" dosage which meant escalating dosages.

I was screwed.

When escalating doses didn't help it meant that my "anxiety disorder" was getting worse and possibly had morphed into bipolar.  Or I possibly had some strange variant of a seizure disorder. 

So I had trials of antidepressants, mood stabilizers/antiseizure meds and antipsychotics.  None of those helped, ever.  I was left with benzos, and drugged to the gills.

Sitting here at over two years clean I'm left looking at this whole picture (my life) with astonishment.  I only have some symptoms, some of the time, and never as pronounced as they were over the last 30 years of my life while I was taking these meds, or before.  I rarely speak of my symptoms.  I find them distasteful.  Only here, and only a little. 

I refuse to play the victim, but looking at all this mess I guess that's one way to see it.

Ultimately I was nothing more than a lab rat, a casualty of the environment.

This is all very frustrating.

Manufacturers profit greatly from these drugs based on a minimal study of six or eight weeks. They are not required to study the long term effects. The FDA has a "voluntary" reporting system that is used only by patients and a very few doctors. Drug companies do not report whatever long term data they happen to have. (Probably a lot.)

I think it is reasonable to require the profits of drug sales to fund long term studies and develop detox protocols.

The drug industry has an annual profit rate of 17% - the largest of any industry. Oil companies are distant at less than 6%.

The public is always ready and willing to jump on the oil companies at the drop of a drop - but drug companies seem to be immune to any adverse publicity. They are very good at manipulating public opinion. I would favor legislation to redirect a tiny fraction of drug company advertising and public relations budgets into long term studies and detox protocols.

Manufacturers profit greatly from these drugs based on a minimal study of six or eight weeks. They are not required to study the long term effects. The FDA has a "voluntary" reporting system that is used only by patients and a very few doctors. Drug companies do not report whatever long term data they happen to have. (Probably a lot.)

I think it is reasonable to require the profits of drug sales to fund long term studies and develop detox protocols.

The drug industry has an annual profit rate of 17% - the largest of any industry. Oil companies are distant at less than 6%.

The public is always ready and willing to jump on the oil companies at the drop of a drop - but drug companies seem to be immune to any adverse publicity. They are very good at manipulating public opinion. I would favor legislation to redirect a tiny fraction of drug company advertising and public relations budgets into long term studies and detox protocols.

I'd go one step further and make them keep a public insurance fund to pay for all rehab and detox from their drugs.  I think they would stop making benzo's pretty darn fast which could be a problem for people tapering.  That has always been the snag, what to do with the millions of people taking the drug.  Catch 22?  I think the only way is education and there is so little info on this topic in the main stream press.  If I had read a story on the dangers of benzo's or seen a TV commercial warning advisement I would have NEVER started.

I think they would stop making benzo's pretty darn fast which could be a problem for people tapering.  That has always been the snag, what to do with the millions of people taking the drug. 

I would not take the drugs off the market. They have a valid use when used properly for short term.

I'll fix things when I'm President. Of course, first I will need to dissolve Congress (no loss) and burn down the Reichstag.

This is a Department of Homeland Security notice.  Bruce Preston has been relocated to a secure facility in Cuba.  You may forward email to preston@gitmo.gov

This is a Department of Homeland Security notice.  Bruce Preston has been relocated to a secure facility in Cuba.  You may forward email to preston@gitmo.gov

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sorry i have had this sx for over 2 months now. its crazy not natural. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Preston, a helicopter has been sent to fetch you and get you out of gitmo. Be ready at

5 pm, Central Daylight Time (US time) and be aware that all the release paperwork

has been completed.

The helicopter crew wants to know what you would like for dinner.

Iggy  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
I blame myself. I wanted a quick fix for my insomnia instead of making more difficult lifestyle changes. I've been paying for that mistake for 8 months. Don't get me wrong, the drug companies bear some responsibility too because the consequences of my poor judgement were buried in fine print (which I never read). And my doctor should have been less eager to refill my prescriptions. But ultimately it was my decision.

I blame myself. I wanted a quick fix for my insomnia instead of making more difficult lifestyle changes. I've been paying for that mistake for 8 months. Don't get me wrong, the drug companies bear some responsibility too because the consequences of my poor judgement were buried in fine print (which I never read). And my doctor should have been less eager to refill my prescriptions. But ultimately it was my decision.

You are blaming the wrong person. Who wouldn't want a quick fix as advertised?

We could all say it was our own decision to take the drugs but we were not the "experts". I personally never questioned my doctors as they "must" know what they are doing right?  Refill after Refill, no supervision, no questions asked. Every time I'd get ill I'd think "I'm getting worse" and the doctor would agree... Little did I know the Benzo's were making me worse.

In the end there is absolutely NOTHING ethical I can do to get "revenge" on to those whom fed me this poison for so long. To be honest I see no point, I don't blame an individual but rather the whole system surrounding Benzo's. Doctors need education with this but I doubt they will ever get the truth, let's not forget the doctors are educated by government approved programs whom are most likely connected with big pharma somewhere.

I have chosen to heal and let anything surrounding it slide.

Any multimillionaires on here willing to fight this???? haha...  Hmmmm, I wish we could do something as a group to make a difference. As I type this someone out there is driving around in a Ferrari raking in profits from our pharmaceutical drug habits. Okay I'll stop, I'm fueling the fire :)

Cheers folks!

Fonz

haha glad we agree  :laugh:

I can't help but laugh, I don't know what else to do. It makes me sick to think of the evil on this planet.

All this crap aside, I'm glad we found this place and I'm sure one day we will sit back and just be glad to be alive after this ordeal.

Cheers,

Fonz

• 3 weeks later...
This is what my pdoc believes is happening. He says the research is "irrefutable" and he is a experienced and respected psychiatrist. He recommended I read "Anatomy of an Epidemic".

My family and friends try to label me with mental illness and I keep reminding them that I have a neurological problem from drugs that started my descent.  Maybe I have mental illness from drugs now, but I don't have an underlying mental illness.  Before drugs, I was a very happy, well adjusted person with no signs of mental illness at all.  It doesn't even run in my family, maybe a little anxiety in my dad, but all my extended family members are healthy and happy and functioning like normal people.  Both parents retired from good jobs and all my sisters are happy and healthy with husbands and kids.  I'm the one who got screwed up by drugs. 

My family and friends try to label me with mental illness and I keep reminding them that I have a neurological problem from drugs that started my descent.  Maybe I have mental illness from drugs now, but I don't have an underlying mental illness.  Before drugs, I was a very happy, well adjusted person with no signs of mental illness at all.  It doesn't even run in my family, maybe a little anxiety in my dad, but all my extended family members are healthy and happy and functioning like normal people.  Both parents retired from good jobs and all my sisters are happy and healthy with husbands and kids.  I'm the one who got screwed up by drugs.

Why did you go on them if you do not mind me asking?