Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

a new cat has imposed its self on me

[ru...]

theres a new cat in my neighborhood and when i went out side yesterday it started being all friendly and meowy. now it came back today and walked in my house after i came to pet it again. so i gave it some of cat food. now its hanging around me meowing.

my cat usually goes out during the day and these 2 don't seem to like each other based on the way they were acting in the parking lot yesterday.

but what can i do? normally i shooo the other cats away cause they just come here to eat my cats food and there not friendly but this one is very friendly and i just cant say no.

shes probably gonna keep coming back and then become part of the house hold then get pregnant and i'l have a houes full of 100 cats! well time will tell whats going to happen.

Or MAAAAAAAYBE it's staying because it liked to FOOD you gave it lol, I'm a sucker for a stray too, your car will work out a buddy system with it in no time, don't worry, just start buying more catfood!

i only gave it food today after it walked in my house and did the meowing trick that gets me every time.

if only the other cats in the neighborhood knew about this meowing thing they would all be getting fed by me and i would be spending a lot of money on cat food. i hope they don't catch on to this.

i don't have a car but i guess if it comes to it i'l get more cat food.

so this cat came back again and then shortly after my cat came home and this cat is just not friendly to my cat. she keeps hissing and she tried to scratch her so i have to kick her out of the house. then my cat ran after this new cat and chased her down to the playground and then i lost sight.

it seems like my cat is trying to be friendly but this new cat is just not having it. if it comes down to it its my cat over new cat so i'l c how things progress but a ban on the new cat from this house is being considered. although i don't know how to enforce it i'm not always home.

That's how animals do things! It sounds horrible to us, but it's just how they work out the pecking order, once that's established then they're long lost buddies.

so this cat came back again and then shortly after my cat came home and this cat is just not friendly to my cat. she keeps hissing and she tried to scratch her so i have to kick her out of the house. then my cat ran after this new cat and chased her down to the playground and then i lost sight.

it seems like my cat is trying to be friendly but this new cat is just not having it. if it comes down to it its my cat over new cat so i'l c how things progress but a ban on the new cat from this house is being considered. although i don't know how to enforce it i'm not always home.

Hi, cats are territorial by nature, and is sounds like the new cat is trying to take over your cat's "territory."  They may get used to each other after a while and tolerate each other, but they'll probably never be close friends.  And cats of the same gender, two females, or two males, are often jealous of each other.

You're very kind to feed the strange cat, but feeding it just encourages it to keep coming back....

I work with a cat rescue group and here is the advice we usually give. If it's friendly, see if your local shelter will take it. That's often the best option -- for the cat, and for you. Why make your cat miserable? Your first loyalty is to him/her. And you need to worry about catfights, what diseases the stranger cat may be carrying, etc. If you really do want to adopt it into your family, take it to the vet and have it checked out, tested, and spayed/neutered.

You are very kind to feed it, but unfortunately there might be more to this than you bargained for.

Maybe talk to your local SPCA, humane society, or shelter?

Okatz

Maybe it's trying to make your cat jealous???

Be nice to the poor kitty. 

I have 12 cats now since I feed them fancy feast and cream and provide them with heated cat beds in the winter.  I think my neighbors hate me for making a better home for their cats :laugh:

Maybe it's trying to make your cat jealous???

Be nice to the poor kitty. 

I have 12 cats now since I feed them fancy feast and cream and provide them with heated cat beds in the winter.  I think my neighbors hate me for making a better home for their cats :laugh:

Heated beds? I don't even have a heated bed. :laugh: Oh well, animals are the coolest and its so nice to see people treating them so well. :thumbsup:

well the cat came back again last night. its afraid of my cat and while my cat seems to be trying to make friends with it this new cat is not having it.

maybe i will call an animal shelter around here and c if they will take it because it is a very friendly cat. but at the same time its not spayed or neutered and doing that to a cat or dog is a big sin in my religion so i doubt i would be allowed to turn it over to a place where i know they would do it so its probably not going to happen although i'l ask a rabbi i can pretty much guess the answer.

perhaps there's a shelter that doesn't spay/neuter i'l have to check cause this is a very friendly cat and she would probably do very well in a family house. and maybe i'l post it on the community boad in my town and maybe somebody will take it for them selves.

well the cat came back again last night. its afraid of my cat and while my cat seems to be trying to make friends with it this new cat is not having it.

maybe i will call an animal shelter around here and c if they will take it because it is a very friendly cat. but at the same time its not spayed or neutered and doing that to a cat or dog is a big sin in my religion so i doubt i would be allowed to turn it over to a place where i know they would do it so its probably not going to happen although i'l ask a rabbi i can pretty much guess the answer.

perhaps there's a shelter that doesn't spay/neuter i'l have to check cause this is a very friendly cat and she would probably do very well in a family house. and maybe i'l post it on the community boad in my town and maybe somebody will take it for them selves.

The life expectancy of a cat in the animal shelter is 18 days and 99.97% are euthanized.

DO NOT CALL THE SHELTER!  Feed it and it will keep mice and rats away from your home and they are good luck :)  Works in Israel and have seen 100,000 cats on the streets there when I visited but no mice  ;D

Possibly the cats will become friends. It takes time. I wholeheartedly agree with Birdman. Why these places are called 'shelters' is beyond me, unless, you can find a no-kill shelter.

T2

u really think they will become friends? i tried and my cat is trying but this new cat is being nasty, hissy and tried to scratch my cat. i'v tried banning the new cat from the house already but her meowing out my window and cuteness got me again today so i had to feed it although outside this time.

hmm if yall really think its possible they can become friends then i'l let them interact more but it really doesn't look good and i'm afraid my cat is gonna get scratched.

there's no way i would turn a cat over to a shelter that kills. there's so many contradictions with shelters and these cat lover societies that it seems like there actions r the complete opposite of the words they choose to represent them selves. its strange but not really all that uncommon when u really think about it.

Cats will fight for a little while until they establish a pecking order and then they respect each other.

Pecking order? Their cats, not Birds. :laugh:

Cats will fight for a little while until they establish a pecking order and then they respect each other.

Pecking order? Their cats, not Birds. :laugh:

SNOBALL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!  Really,  :laugh:

I started feeding a domestic gone feral outdoor cat over 10 years ago out my front door and I'm still feeding her.  She swats at me all the time since she's no longer tame.  She's getting very old, but I committed myself to feeding her, so I need to continue.  Once you feed a cat, you have a friend for life.  They start to depend on you for it.  Some owners don't feed their cats enough, or they don't like the food much, and will take a better meal somewhere else and keep coming back for more. 

Hi Becksblue,

I, too have several ferals that come for meals & H2O. They repay me sometimes by leaving an intact dead bird, giant cockroach, lizard, mouse on the front porch. :laugh:

It truly bothers me that they never last over 3 seasons.  :(  Crazy vehicle drivers, mean dogs, poison, cat traps.... have even argued with neighbors over my 'feeding & watering' nuisances.

I still do it though. :angel:

u c this cat doesn't swat at me shes really nice and affectionate. its just she swats and hisses at my cat. i fed her several times already and i guess thats just gonna be the way it is i don't think shes gonna stop coming here no matter what.

she climbs though the window and i keep putting her back out. its just the way she behaves with my cat thats the problem. i wouldn't mind taking another cat but not if shes going to be a jerk to my cat.

You all are welcome to have my stray.  She's not very nice and I really can't afford to feed her anymore.  She's getting old though and I don't think she'll make it through this winter, since she stays outside. 

This is sad. I am glad I don't have more strays in my area.

I'm not a huge cat lover but still. There was a stray when I first moved here and I still feel bad I didn't do anything. The cat seemed to get crazier and crazier the more it was left outside. My neighbors tried to trap it and take it to a shelter but it didn't cooperate so they just let it be. I figured that was a good enough excuse not to try myself but I still remember/feel bad and that was years ago. Would see him/her everyday until one day I didn't. There are so many strays in this world but it sucks when you cross paths with one and then it feels like your obligation to do something. I took in a stray last fall and today I went for a walk in the park where I found him and I was thinking if I see a cat that is a stray today too bad. Not my problem. But it's so hard to do.

That's nice you such a soft spot for cats, rd. You must feel a natural affinity for them, hmm? I'm fascinated by cat people because I am not one myself.

In any case in the Jewish religion you can't spay or neuter. I probably sound ignorant but why is that?