Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Severe Cat Bite

[il...]

Surgeon did the 2nd I&D Friday and said I'm to keep the post op dressing on it until Weds morning when he wants me in his office again. He had also said that I flex my thumb as often as possible. I believe he said that will also promote healing. My concern is the pain I feel when I palpate or flex it. Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic but it feels as if the infection is still active.

I guess I'll just need to wait and see.

The cat bite horror story continues.....

It's been three weeks since I was brutally attack by the saber tooth feral and im back in the hospital for another incision and drainage and IV antibiotics. This is UNBELIEVABLE !!

I'm sorry this is still going on but not surprised. Cat's have so much bacteria in their mouths. When we took my kitty to the vet he bit my husband and the vet was very concerned about the bite. I guess she has seen how serious it can be. He was fine but that's not always the case....as unfortunately you have found out.

Keep us updated. I hope you start to feel better soon.

Im herein the hospital. They have already numbed my thumb and incised the abcess. This makes three times that they needed to do that. They also started a cephalaxin IV. Immediately upon receiving the infusion my head started itch, I got hives all over and my throat started to close. I guess I'll need to remember to tell the next Dr. That Im they allergic to cephalaxin.

They immediately stopped the drip and gave me benadryl. Benadryl through an IV really knocks you for a loop.

This is crazy!

Were you able to sleep after the Benedryl drip? How are you doing right now? Wow! I feed feral cats & am careful never to try to touch or pick one up. Even the kittens can viciously bite(out of fear). My neighbor had thick work gloves on & picked up a small kitten that was stuck in the bushes. It bit clean through those gloves & through his thumb.

Hoping you are getting better!

Sincerely,

T2

illgetthrough, I'm so sorry for you. I've been mauled by plenty of ferals, but one antibiotic round always did it for my infected bites.

Hopefully this is the last procedure!

Start healing now. I'm sending healing anti-cat bacteria beams your way.

Okatz

Got the results from my x-rays. They now suspect that the infection has gotten into the bone. :-\ This means they'll need to put a PIC line in me so that I can stay on a prolonged IV dose of antibiotics. OMG! :'(

Hi Teacher2

I was released from the hospital on Monday and returned to work today. I still haven't received the results of my 2nd MRI so I don't know if the infection had spread to the bone. In the meanwhile, I had a mid-line place in my arm so that I can self-infuse the IV antibiotics. I believe the antibiotic is called Invanz. It makes me feel wiped out. Hopefully I don't have osteomyelitis and I wont be on it long. Outwardly, my thumb looks better but I do have some loss of feeling.

The good part is I can expect this to improve in a lineal fashion unlike my benzo healing. Getting this from a cat bite sucks but paled by comparison to benzo withdrawal.

Thanks for caring.

• 3 weeks later...

T2,

I'm feeling much better. The infection is gone. My thumb has some loss of sensation but my guess is that it will slowly return.

Lessen learned..... feral cats are wild animals and should be carefully handled.

Now when Lola our pet cat (she was a rescue cat as well) wants to play, I'm real careful.

Once bitten...twice shy  :laugh:

Thanks for reaching out.

IGT

My cousin got bit by his own cat and the infection moved up his arm in one day. He had antibiotics IV. Cleared it up. I didn't realize how common that was.

Im glad you are feeling better. ;)

IGT!

Am happy & relieved that you have healed from this. I've had relatives & friends who've had cat scratch fever. It's not just a Ted Nugent song!

Hoping you are doing well otherwise as well.

Sincerely,

T2

Anybody out there have experience with cat bites?

I foolishly tried to grab one of my wife's rescue cats that got loose in our house.

I grabbed him and he turned and bit me almost clean through my thumb. It's been 24 hours since the bite and the thumb is swollen and hurts like hell.

I don't want to take antibiotics.

You better take antibiotics. Take it from me, I'm an animal lover and have had cats all my life. Cat bites can be very dangerous. I had one friend who got a  severe cat bite, didn't do anything about it until it became infected. She nearly lost her entire hand. Spent a week in the hospital while they gave her IV antibiotics. Go see a doctor  ASAP. Benzogirl