Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Severe Cat Bite

[il...]

Anybody out there have experience with cat bites?

I foolishly tried to grab one of my wife's rescue cats that got loose in our house.

I grabbed him and he turned and bit me almost clean through my thumb. It's been 24 hours since the bite and the thumb is swollen and hurts like hell.

I don't want to take antibiotics.

Cats have a lot of bacteria in their mouths. It sounds like a pretty bad puncture wound. If your thumb gets swollen (sounds like it is), red and hot you should see a doctor. There are anti-biotics you can take. I believe Eritomicine (Erithromycin) is ok. Take a look at this post:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=36633.msg654597#msg654597

...and fluoroquinolone (Cipro)

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=36633.msg709213#msg709213

Hi,

I'm very experienced with cats, and an infected cat bite can be dangerous.  It sounds as if your thumb is infected now, and you really must be seen by a doctor.  I understand your not wanting to take antibiotics, but treating the infection is much more important than that.  Infections, if left untreated, can be life threatening.

Have you looked up "cat bites" online?  Please do that but please also get seen by a doctor/er as soon as possible.

:smitten:

Megan

I had 2 dog bites last year(rescue dogs lol), went all the way through too,,,,,I soaked it in peroxide then packed it in salt (in a bowl with very hot water) several time a day, it healed ok, swelled and hurt like crazy for quite awhile, it being on your hand makes it worse since you always are using your hands....if it obviously get infected (shows colored discharge) see a Dr

I have a stray cat which I feed out my front door and she's scratched me a million times.  I'd keep an eye on that bite for infection.  Animals have different bacteria than we do, so we don't contract their bacteria, just something they might be harboring, from what I've learned.  Next time you need to catch a cat, use a net, like a net used for fishing, on a pole. 

I work with a cat rescue group too, and had one of our rescues bit me last year. Wow, did it swell up and get red!! Megan is absolutely right -- you need to have this treated. I did have to take an antibiotic, and I was tapering valium at the time (as I am now). I took amoxicillin and had no bad side effects.

Maybe some of the other buddies with medical backgrounds will chime in here and give opinions on antibiotics. Obsid?

Just don't let them give you Cipro!!!

Good luck . . . and take care of your bite. Alas, it won't get better by itself.

Okatz

I'm taking Amoxicillin now for newly diagnosed Lyme disease, and I'm ten months out.  I do ok on the first capsule in the afternoon, 250 mgs, but get some anxiety when I take a second one.  Anxiety is a side effect of Amox.  But, then I've had anxiety all along with this w/d.  If you aren't prone to anxiety, it probably won't affect you too badly. 

Thanks everyone.

The throbbing and pain is pretty bad. I guess I'll make the reluctant trip to the MD.

Lesson learned....Ferrel cats are wild animals and should be treated as such.

PS: We did end up using a crab net we had available. worked well but the poor cat wasn't too happy.

Yes, please get it checked, there is something called cat scratch fever which can make you very sick indeed, as it can cause a systemic infection so never ignore an infected cat scratch or bite and most antibiotics are safe to take in withdrawal just not the quinolones.

Ladygrace12 :smitten:

Off to the MD. Last night I started to develop red streaks running from the wound to the middle of my arm. Probably lymphatitis setting so I'll need to give this some of the urgency it should have initially received.

Back from my 30 sec. (that's no exaggeration) meeting with my MD after which I received a tetanus shot and script for 875mg Augmentim.

His advice......Stay away from ferrel cats see me in two days. Really?

• 2 weeks later...

The cat bite saga Part IV (maybe part V)....

Well it's been two weeks since I started this crazy trip and yesterday I went through yet another much more invasive I&D for my infected cat bite as there was still a fair amount of pus coming from both entry points of the bite wound :-[. (sorry for being so explicit)

The Hand Surgeon had told me that the bite entry points (one at the top of my thumb and the other on the pad) met. He said this bite was a lot more vicious than previously thought. This was one bad ass kitty with a very dirty mouth.

The post op. pain was unbelievable. He prescribed Percocet for it but I decided to tuff it out instead. I'm starting to rethink that as I got no sleep last night from the pain

I just can't get my arms around the fact that a kitty can cause this much damage. I'm beginning to think that I may lose a piece of my thumb if the infection can't be brought under control.  :-[ WTF?

Why be a hero? If it was me , I'd take the Percocet !  U heal much quicker if your body isn't as stressed.

Sorry u are having such a terrible time. I really feel for u !    Hugs Pinkee  :smitten:

I'm really sorry this happened to you, and please do whatever makes you comfortable.  Thankfully, I've never taken prescription pain meds, but I do have neck and shoulder pain and I take a "hospital dose" of ibuprofen--for me that's three tabs, and it does help.

:smitten:

No, don't be a hero. Get that pain under control.

If you don't think you need the narcotic part of the Percocet (the "perc" part) you could switch to the "cet" part which is acetominophine and just start taking extra strength Tylenol. Be sure to follow the instructions on the box and not exceed the recommended dosage -- I think it's no more than 8 in a 24 hour period. I switched from a narcotic opiate to extra-strength T after a back surgery and found it to be just as effective. Plus, I was scared of getting hooked on the opiate. (Also I had a paradoxical reaction to the opiate -- I got irritable, belligerent and not very nice at all and it had nothing to do with my back pain).

Hope this info helps you and that you feel better soon. That was some mighty cat bite! So sorry this happened to you. And don't be a hero. No need. You've been through enough.

Okatz

[4a...]
Gosh. I feel bad for you!  I also have a serious infection on my foot and may have to have surgery.  Just curious.....were you told to use Dakin's solution on it?

I've received several different instructions on the best practice for treating this. One Dr. told me to soak it in Epsom salt, another just hot compresses. Some said just leave it alone and let the antibiotic do its job. I really have no idea what, if anything, I need to do to help the healing.

What about good ole salt and water soak? Good for most things. Has to be done at least 4 times a day. And water needs to be as hot as u can stand it.

Hugs Pinkee