Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Computer geek needed to help with my antivirus problems

[Be...]

I'm not sure it's appropriate to post on this forum, but I'm mostly housebound now and need help with my Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 program. I don't know anyone nearby I can trust to help me.  Any takers? 

Bitdefender SUCKS!!!!!    It's the worst program out there and NO ONE answers their tech support line.  GET AVG  at  www.avg.com  IT RULES.

I found out the word is that bitdefender is bad.  I paid for a year and still have until March next year.  The dumb AV program keeps not responding and then I can't get my updates and autoscan.  The problems with his is causing me have panic attacks.  I also must admit I'm on dialup because I can't afford the hispeed.  I'm on a Toshiba Netbook, can't afford a regular computer.  If I upgrade to their "new and improved" free upgrade Total Security which they claim has fixed all the bugs, will it slow down my connection? 

My system is slow, but this site and a few others work quite well speedwise.  I wish I had more money to afford a new computer and hispeed.  It's about fifty bucks a month here where I live.  If I can get on this forum, I guess that's enough for me and get my mail. 

If its a struggle to pay for Broadband then you really shouldn't pay at all for an anti-virus.No-one needs to pay for AV anymore really unless you need a super level of protection for a business or something.I use AVG Free AV and that's enough 4 me and it has the added plus of using less PC resources as its a smaller program than the Premium one.It gives you all the protection you need on your PC....& to be really honest Ive never paid for even one computer program since I discovered Pirate Bay and other file sharing sites almost a decade ago.I refuse to make these big companies even richer by buying their products.(then there's the real reason for it - It saves a  hell of a lot of money lol.)

I agree, never a need to pay for your AV, especially in your situation, where you are not connected all the time.

Most of the paid ones are way too bloated, and do no better a job then the free ones.

Uninstall bitdefender, and install Microsoft Security Essentials, light and unobtrusive. Good comparison here to show which AV uses the most resources http://www.raymond.cc/blog/which-free-antivirus-is-the-lightest-on-system-memory-usage/

Of course, there may be other reasons for your slowdown, but I would do this first, then run a full scan.

coots

Thanks for the info.  I do need one that is lite and uses minimal resources.  I sure wish I had a computer person here to come over and help me.  This BD antivirus doesn't work when I connect, but then works after a few minutes. 

[d5...]

Hi,

I don't mean to butt in here, but I am also in need of a computer geek. I have been watching/listening to relaxation videos on youtube and it has been huge in my recovery.  All of a sudden last night, I can't hear sound on them.  The little sound icon has the "block" icon, but I can't unblock it.  The sound on the other programs on my computer work.  I have googled this and it seems other people have this problem, but none of the solutions given have worked for me.  Any help would be appreciated.

TY :)

Hi,

I don't mean to butt in here, but I am also in need of a computer geek. I have been watching/listening to relaxation videos on youtube and it has been huge in my recovery.  All of a sudden last night, I can't hear sound on them.  The little sound icon has the "block" icon, but I can't unblock it.  The sound on the other programs on my computer work.  I have googled this and it seems other people have this problem, but none of the solutions given have worked for me.  Any help would be appreciated.

TY :)

What browser are you using, and have you tried another? Is it all videos?

Try updating flash http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

coots

Thanks for the advice on the AV lighter programs.  I think I have the MS Essentials already on my system.  How can I find out the size of the update files that the programs put out?  I had a huge AV file update yesterday and had to go to the library to get it downloaded.  I now have Lyme disease on top of this w/d and I'm not able to run out to the free WiFi spots when I need a download.  Usually their files have been manageable for me to get with the dialup.  Why don't they have affordable highspeed for people who have lost their jobs, lost my from the benzo mess, and now are on a lower income?  Comcast offers a program here for low income families but only if you have children in school.  10 bucks a month for highspeed.  I'm an older person and didn't get all the computer training the younger folks get now.  So, I'm home on disability and don't know what to trust for this AV so it doesn't stop my dialup speed completely such as having a firewall getting in the way.  This BDAV causes me anxiety every day when I get on here.  This is a good thread for other people to get computer help.  I'm glad I started it.  The advice has been helpful. 

If you have BOTH bit-defender and Security Essentials, then there is a large part of your problem. You should only have one AV program, and maybe an anti-spyware if it is not included. MS Essentials covers both, so your priority is to to remove Bitdefender ASAP. Then I would recommend running Ccleaner, a free app to clean up junk. Everything can be done with free apps.

Get the Ccleaner slim version here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Bitdefender has uninstall tools here: http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

hope this helps

coots

thanks coots, I checked and I don't have security essentials on my system.  I guess BD got rid of them when I got their program.  It really is a mess.  BD didn't respond all day and now it's responding tonight.  I've got these darn health issues, Lyme disease and cog fog and can't seem to get the nerve to try a new AV.  I'm afraid it won't work with my dialup speed, so I'm being hesitant.  I'd be lost here at home without a connection.  BD emailed me their updated program which they say should get rid of the problems.  I may try that, but then they make you download all their defs. which are massive MB's.  I can still hardly leave the house with fear and agoraphobia going on still at 10 months out.  I'm at my wits end with everything. 

hi beck

i know its hard to read but if you read on an AV fine print it should tell you what speed you need to use it.

i hope you get it figured out. i know its causing you anxiety :hug:

Thanks Gardenia,  I do have extra anxiety now from getting the Lyme diagnosis and then the bill from the lab which I thought was paid and now this darn antivirus that doesn't want to work anymore.  I know they make something for dialup users.  There are over 1 million in this country still on dialup. 

Hello everybody. Just wanted to add that losing my tech abilities early on was in some ways worse for me than my physical torture. Later, fear and anxiety had me nearly incapacitated and unable to deal with the many problems my laptop had.

Fellow buddies ran to my rescue and really helped me through, just like what is happening here on this thread.

A big hug from me to all who are suffering, especially in this computer challenged way, and a giant Thank You to all of you who are lending your calm, gentle understanding knowledge and support.

M.  ;D

Thanks Gardenia,  I do have extra anxiety now from getting the Lyme diagnosis and then the bill from the lab which I thought was paid and now this darn antivirus that doesn't want to work anymore.  I know they make something for dialup users.  There are over 1 million in this country still on dialup.

you have a point Becky! there has got to be a program for dial up that works.

I've gotten on cnet many times.  For some reason, this fear and cog fog I've got from this benzo w/d stops me from making confident decisions about anything, including this AV.  It's like I need only Bill Gates to come here and fix this problem for me, that's how insecure I am about making the big leap and uninstalling and reinstalling something else.  I'm naive about computers for the most part, anyway.  I never used to be hesitant about making moves to get things corrected or fixed about anything, including doing most of my own home repairs and even on the car.  I'm having alot of anxiety tonight from taking the amoxicillin to treat this darn Lyme.  I've had Lyme s/x's now for months, including it affecting my CNS.  I'm still a mess mentally some days, so this AV thing is almost too much for me to deal with.  Tonight it's getting updates fairly well, so that's good enough for me right now.