Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Close to a job...now I'm freaking out!

[no...]

Hey everyone.

I just recently finished taking a bunch of pre-employment tests, including a do not compete clause, background check, credit check, and drug test. I also took a Microsoft Office proficiency test, and I did really really well. I have been in contact with the HR department (the girl who interviewed me) for the past three weeks. Last I heard from her was on Tuesday. She said that she would review the information that the outsourced staffing agency provided  her.

I have been really positive about this, until yesterday. My mom freaked me out, bringing up things that I cannot control. Like, for instance ,the fact that I have a really odd last name. Easily google-a-ble.

Not that I have anything to be ashamed of, or worried about, I just haven't heard back in four days, and of course, I'm getting antsy.

Does anyone have experience with a wait on employment?

This is a small company. I know they are hiring for three different positions. I have no idea who I'm up against, or even if I am. I know that it's expensive to administer all of these pre-employment tests, so I can't be too far from the offer.

However, I am having trouble with this idea: They are a small company. If I did well, wouldn't they offer me the position right away? If they found something they didn't like about me, would they tell me?

Thanks for listening. If anyone has ever been in HR, let me know, pretty please!

Hi notkafka,

first of all, I --> love <-- your BB name! That's so cool!

Second, re businesses: you applied near the Labor Day weekend, even though it was three weeks ago.

Companies are very slow when it comes to hiring, regardless of size.

What you wrote makes perfect sense:  you did well, and they just should plain hire you! But companies are sluggish entities.

Don't worry about what your mom said--it's ok.

I haven't been in HR, but I have been close. Things move slowly, even if the business is small.

So, it's ok. I suspect you will get the job--they gave you all the tests and all, so as you wrote, you are close.

I think they'd be idiots to not hire you.

Again, things slow down for companies for any and every reason. Like, it rained last Tuesday..things even like that.

So you showed them you would be a great employee. If you don't hear in a few days, feel free to call them back.

I got a job by doing that. The person said it helped that I called.

You did great! You are a hero!!!

All my best,

Iggy  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Iggy!

Thank you (also a great name...I used to play sports in HS, and we played St. Ignatius on a regular basis).

I appreciate the response, especially re: my mom. She has this tendency to think very cataclysmically (I may have invented that word),  but I assume that the background check and such is a formality, since it was important to them that I be proficient in Microsoft Office. More than anything I worry about my credit. It's not great, but it's not horrifying either, you know? And even if it were, and that was the only thing to affect their decision, then it would suck. But I could deal with it.

Do you know why they would have me sign a non-compete BEFORE employment? I've been googling for hours and I can't seem to turn anything up. I so appreciate your response. It's a relief. And really, four business days is nothing. If I don't hear anything by Tuesday, I'll shoot the HR gal an email and see what's up.

They have been in constant contact with me, so I know that has to be good. I keep trying to think positively. :) Thank you again for the support!

Hello. I struggled with looking for a job less than a full year out from c/t. It was very hard on me to say the least. I was going through some of the worst paranoia sxs in my journey, which made the whole thing worse.

I would go on lengthy interviews where they seemed to LOVE me. In my profession there is not "testing", there is really just personal interview time, possible interaction with clients and reference checks.

Most of the time I didn't hear back from interviewers, and it would send me into despair everytime. But, with the excellent depth of support I received right here on BB, I was able to get through the process. It became a little easier each time, as I was able to step back from anxiety over my paranoid thoughts (i.e., were former employers bad mouthing me?).

A little over a year ago I was offered a full time temporary job. It lasted about half a year and it changed everything for me. It was challenging to say the least - again, I couldn't have made it without my virtual good friends offering clear love and support, along with generous helpings of good advice.  ;D

I started my new permanent full time position just 2 days after temp position ended, and it's like I was never out of work!!

You are in a good spot because:

You have excellent skills that employers are so desperate for.

You were able to test well. Going on interviews and testing is a very difficult thing to do. You did so well!!

The economy is doing much better than even a year ago, this loosens things up a bit in your favor.

Your are here, on this board. There are so many good fellow buddies around for support and advice.

Take heart!! You will find a job. These words were said to me time and time again, and of course, they were correct!  :thumbsup: 

M.  :)

Hi, Notkafka,

Thanks re my name. I misspelled it...duh, but adding an extra vowel, but I think I should

get credit for that...kidding.

I had read part of a book, "A Confederacy of Dunces" in which Ignatius T. Riley is the lead character.

I need to finish it. It was so long ago..it had been recommended by a great person.

I like the anticatcataclysmic" (sp) word--it's an official one now. Good word choice.

Your use of the language is yet another reason the company wants to hire you.

I had never heard of a non-compete form, so I looked it up. They want to hire you.

Sorry your mom goes to extremes with her thinking. Must not be fun to be around when

she's in thinkfest (new word) mode.

Re your credit score: you might not be old enough to have a great one. Time is part of

the equation for a high score. Also, if you have never owned property, it isn't really high either.

These things can be easily explained and a decent employer already knows these things.

Anything else can be explained too. It's ok.

Your idea to send an email to the HR person is good.

Mplsgirl also had some great advice too. Hi, M! :thumbsup:

You are a valuable employee--you did well in all aspects of the interview plus you are very bright

and you have great writing skills. I remember reading, years ago, that companies were looking

for Humanities graduates...for their communication skills!

No need to mention Kafka to them...I can practically guarantee that they can't wrap their brains

around that, but you already know that...

Have a fine Sunday, and

ALL my best,

Iggy  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:8):)

mpls girl and ignatIous, many thanks!

I realize that one of the worst things that I could possibly do is to set my expectations really high, because if I don't get the offer, then I will be devastated. However, why not just feel good about how well I did (as you both have alluded to), rather than shame spiral down the proverbial rabbit hole.

If you would have told me eight months ago that I would be done with xanax, antidepressants et .al. I probably would have said you were nuts. Pot, kettle! :)

It feels good to just be out there, and that's what I have to keep reminding myself. I managed to rework my resume, apply for new jobs that fit my skill set, (after having taught for many unhappy years), to hopefully start my life anew.

mpls gal- I totally understand what you mean by the toxic catastophizing (mindf***ing a rainbow?) that we can inflict upon ourselves. Trying not to completely lose it before I find out my fate. Relinquishing control is a total B. :)

iggy! I love Confederacy of Dunces. I read that back in college, and it blew my mind. Great writing, and even greater characters. Ignatious. Oh man. Thank you for being so positive and being such a great support, guys.

There are times when I can't share my innards with those closest to me, because I don't want to worry anyone, and moreover, I want to make sure that I keep my benzorage in check. I can't thank you guys enough.

Hi, notkafka,

why am I not surprised??? You will do well at the second interview--it may be a formality.

They like you!!!

Congratulations!!

All my best,

Iggy  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: