Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Facebook: Like or Dislike?

[Pl...]

[73...]

To me Facebook is a place for people to show off. "Look at my new car" "Look at my new girlfriend" "I have a great new job" "Look at how popular I am" etc etc. If you're feeling crappy about your life, it's best to stay away from Facebook for that reason alone. There are many other reasons to stay away from Facebook which have probably already been mentioned in this thread.

Facebook can be of some use if you only accept friend requests from closest friends and family. And maybe relatives abroad who you don't get to see or speak to much. Mere acquaintances and old classmates on the other hand - I have no time for them personally.

I deleted my Facebook years ago. The important people in my life are always one phone call or txt away. So I don't really need Facebook.  8)

OMG - I HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!! AND I HATE IT EVEN MORE RIGHT NOW!!!  (Sorry I'll stop shouting now).

A while back on this thread I posted that ages ago I created a FB account using my normal email address. I never posted anything on a page and I had all the necessary private settings, but I started to get emails from FB itself giving me the names of all these people who were in my email contacts. So obviously FB was somehow able to access my personal email contacts list!!

Well that really annoyed, and scared, me (because just how secure is any of your information if they can do that?), so I deleted that account straight away. I didn't have another account for ages, but after a while I decided to create another FB account, with all the privacy settings, and no information on a FB page etc, I even used a fake last name, but this time I used a gmail email account that didn't have a contacts list attached to it.

Everything was fine for ages, but suddenly in the last few days I've started getting these same emails from FB again, giving me the names of people who are in my main email's contact list. No other person on this planet knows about my gmail account, so no one would have it in their email contact list.

The only thing I can think of is that this gmail account is linked to my main email address so that any emails going to gmail are forwarded on to my main email. So somehow FB is accessing my main email contact list, via gmail!!!!  The interesting thing is that I NEVER get any emails to that gmail account, and in fact FB is sending the emails to my main email address (not gmail) which they supposedly don't have anymore, because I deleted the account with that email address.

How on earth are they able to do this? There is absolutely no privacy at all on FB, and anyone who thinks there is is sadly mistaken. So this is another FB account I will be deleting - and I will never have another one ever again.

OMG - I HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!! AND I HATE IT EVEN MORE RIGHT NOW!!!  (Sorry I'll stop shouting now).

A while back on this thread I posted that ages ago I created a FB account using my normal email address. I never posted anything on a page and I had all the necessary private settings, but I started to get emails from FB itself giving me the names of all these people who were in my email contacts. So obviously FB was somehow able to access my personal email contacts list!!

Well that really annoyed, and scared, me (because just how secure is any of your information if they can do that?), so I deleted that account straight away. I didn't have another account for ages, but after a while I decided to create another FB account, with all the privacy settings, and no information on a FB page etc, I even used a fake last name, but this time I used a gmail account that didn't have a contacts list attached to it.

Everything was fine for ages, but suddenly in the last few days I've started getting these same emails from FB again, giving me the names of people who are in my main email's contact list. No other person on this planet knows about my gmail account, so no one would have it in their email contact list.

The only thing I can think of is that this gmail account is linked to my main email address so that any emails going to gmail are forwarded on to my main email. So somehow FB is accessing my main email contact list, via gmail!!!!  The interesting thing is that I NEVER get any emails to that gmail account, and in fact FB is sending the emails to my main email address (not gmail) which they supposedly don't have anymore, because I deleted the account with that email address.

How on earth are they able to do this? There is absolutely no privacy at all on FB, and anyone who thinks there is is sadly mistaken. So this is another FB account I will be deleting - and I will never have another one ever again.

I don't think any of us have any privacy any more. I keep telling my friends that we can talk about anything and say anything because we are not important enough or dangerous enough to matter to anyone rich or powerful.

When things like this happen our illusions of privacy are blown to hell, and that's the hard part. :(

What really pisses me off is that everyone is so concerned about having their privacy settings so they are safe from the big bad bogey man who might be able to find something personal on their FB page, but the biggest baddest bogey man is FB itself.

At the same time FB is preaching “privacy settings”, they’re sneaking in the back door and accessing your personal email contacts and details. What else are they able to access?

NOT COOL FB!!! YOU CAN GO TO HELL!!!

What really pisses me off is that everyone is so concerned about having their privacy settings so they are safe from the big bad bogey man who might be able to find something personal on their FB page, but the biggest baddest bogey man is FB itself.

At the same time FB is preaching “privacy settings”, they’re sneaking in the back door and accessing your personal email contacts and details. What else are they able to access?

NOT COOL FB!!! YOU CAN GO TO HELL!!!

Then think what the US government can do! :(

I love facey!

I have taught myself everything I know about downloading and uploading photos, making online albums, linking articles etc through playing on there. I absolutely love creating interesting albums.

I only have 90 'friends' which include current friends, their children, my kids and their partners and their parents' mothers, my nieces and nephews, one great nephew, old girlfriends of my sons, old friends (some from school days), local councillors and my ex mayor who I am friendly with, kids I've known since they were babies, old teachers of my children who became my friends and one student I taught when he was 7. I wait for young people to ask me to be 'friends' in case they don't want old people looking at what they are doing. I 'like' all the causes I am passionate about, the current affairs programs I am interested in, rock stars and even local bands I dance to now.

This mix provides me with a huge amount of interesting reading and viewing every single day. I might stay at home but I know what's going on. I see news items before they even get into the papers or on TV news. I love seeing everyone's photos - all the babies, the rock concerts, the political rallies I might have been unable to attend etc etc.

From my own observation, Facebook is not a place where the unsociable people live life vicariously. The people who interact the most on there are the ones who interact most in life too.

How would that little boy who I taught when he was 7 have ever found me. He still calls me Mrs.... He reminded me how he used to bring me bunches of wattle and how he ran back into the classroom and kissed me goodbye one afternoon. He posts wattle photos on my timeline on the official Australian 'Wattle Day' We have had long private messaging conversations some evenings.

Facebook is like a big web that ties together all the parts of my life, past and present. I don't put health stuff on there though.

I believe facebook has opened up a huge world to people and it is a vehicle to promote issues so quickly. Through this social media, the issue of the cruelty of live animal export was all over the country in a day. I make all my 'causes' public because I am proud of what I believe in.

I am probably too trusting but I don't worry about privacy much apart from putting all my personal photos and info on a 'friends only' setting.

I find it relaxing.

I love facey!

I have taught myself everything I know about downloading and uploading photos, making online albums, linking articles etc through playing on there. I absolutely love creating interesting albums.

I only have 90 'friends' which include current friends, their children, my kids and their partners and their parents' mothers, my nieces and nephews, one great nephew, old girlfriends of my sons, old friends (some from school days), local councillors and my ex mayor who I am friendly with, kids I've known since they were babies, old teachers of my children who became my friends and one student I taught when he was 7. I wait for young people to ask me to be 'friends' in case they don't want old people looking at what they are doing. I 'like' all the causes I am passionate about, the current affairs programs I am interested in, rock stars and even local bands I dance to now.

This mix provides me with a huge amount of interesting reading and viewing every single day. I might stay at home but I know what's going on. I see news items before they even get into the papers or on TV news. I love seeing everyone's photos - all the babies, the rock concerts, the political rallies I might have been unable to attend etc etc.

From my own observation, Facebook is not a place where the unsociable people live life vicariously. The people who interact the most on there are the ones who interact most in life too.

How would that little boy who I taught when he was 7 have ever found me. He still calls me Mrs.... He reminded me how he used to bring me bunches of wattle and how he ran back into the classroom and kissed me goodbye one afternoon. He posts wattle photos on my timeline on the official Australian 'Wattle Day' We have had long private messaging conversations some evenings.

Facebook is like a big web that ties together all the parts of my life, past and present. I don't put health stuff on there though.

I believe facebook has opened up a huge world to people and it is a vehicle to promote issues so quickly. Through this social media, the issue of the cruelty of live animal export was all over the country in a day. I make all my 'causes' public because I am proud of what I believe in.

I am probably too trusting but I don't worry about privacy much apart from putting all my personal photos and info on a 'friends only' setting.

I find it relaxing.

I still don't like Facebook, but I really enjoyed reading about your passion for it!

A lot of people feel the same way about what I do on the computer, spending so much time connecting to people in other ways.

And I agree with you. It's not a substitution for socializing. It's a different way of socializing.

But I did meet up with a couple old students with Facebook, so maybe I should reconsider.

I like your idea about younger people, not barging in, but being open to connecting. I think it's important to reach out in all directions, not just in different places and with even different countries but also to people of very different ages.

Thanks for your positive words, Gaer! Not everyone enjoys Facebook. My husband doesn't use it. I'm glad because I can post funny photos of him (with his permission) and write a few sarcastic comments occasionally without him even knowing!  :laugh:

Funnily enough a class of his students set up a sort of fan club page in his honour so there are photos and videos of him on there. It is all very complimentary and fun so he doesn't mind! I think it's kind of nice that they like him that much. They are all boys too.

When he was younger he used to have quite a few young ladies he taught falling in love with him and sending him lurid love notes. He kept them as I suggested he might like to remember those days when he was in his dotage. It was rather funny when one of them became the teacher of one of our sons a few years later! Made for interesting parent/teacher interviews.  :) Life is a big web.

Xana