Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Facebook: Like or Dislike?

[Pl...]

I dislike facebook so much! There is too much drama for me. Besides I don't care what people are doing or planning. Iwont even let my 13 year old have one. I just don't like it. What's your opinion???

different strokes for different folks. However I agree that FB can be pervasive and maybe not good for youngsters, better they get wholesome exercise. Having said that I do have a FB account, but then I am an old geezer! David

My uncle works for the IRS.  He told me that the first thing they do on an audit case is go to facebook and study your page for hours.  If your home or boat is too big or your life style to grand with vacations etc. they audit you.  Facebook is a government tax and arrest tool, it makes them billions in new revenue.

SEE -

It's a useful way for me to advertise a fabricated version of my life in a way that makes me attractive to potential employers.

It's also a good way to vaguely keep in touch with people I haven't seen in a long time, which ends up being super useful when I happen to be in some random city and am trying to find people to hang out with or show me around.

Also, it's how I find awesome stuff like this:

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23500000/Hipster-Jon-Snow-game-of-thrones-23594329-410-567.jpg

I think Facebook is helpful to promote any business. I just don't get how some people could have 1000 friends. Lol . If I had one I would be like you IGotoGod and have about five friends. Lol.  I'm not knocking the people that have one because I use to. It's just not for me. I can't believe the parents that let their young children have one and plaster pictures of themselves all their page. NOT SAFE!!!  Just my opinion

FB has its uses, but I personally don't like it, although I can understand the attraction. However, I think it’s very sad that so many people use it to make “friends” instead of actually making “real” friends, especially young people. They should be getting outside and doing more exercise instead of wondering who's doing what, and who's bullying who.

I was really put off having an account on FB after I created one a while ago, making sure I had all the correct privacy settings and everything. I did not set up a page, so I had no "friends", only an account. However, I started getting emails from FB giving me links to other people's FB pages who were in my email address book, so FB obviously was able to access it, and I was not happy about that at all.

I had not been in touch with some of these people for quite a long time (and didn’t want to either). Some of them were also people I only knew via internet forums, so there was no way I would want them knowing anything personal about me, and I'm sure they wouldn't want me to knowing anything personal about them. Thank goodness I hadn't set up a page, because I wouldn't have trusted their "security" settings to protect it.

So I deleted that account straight away. I do have another account now, but I made sure it's with an email address that does not have an address book attached to it. However, I’m still not that confident that it’s that secure. At least I haven’t received any further emails from FB giving me links to anyone’s page.

Having said all that, like DavidJC, I'm an old geezer too, so what do I know about these new fangled things..lol...

Facebook, don't like but probably has uses for some people, Throws up odd "people I might know" , eg friends of my children,  :crazy: as if they want to know me, these days some married with kids of their own .

• 2 months later...
[be...]
I have facebook, but I think it is a pain and I rarely use it. It's all so blah, blah, blah. And then there are the people that have to write about every little stupid detail of their lives every day..."My toe hangnail got fixed today" - complete with pictures yet. Yuck. Some of them really need to get a life or get a grip or at least get an editor.

I dislike facebook so much! There is too much drama for me. Besides I don't care what people are doing or planning. Iwont even let my 13 year old have one. I just don't like it. What's your opinion???

I had a Facebook account briefly until I realized it's potential for abuse. You could not pay me to have a Facebook account.

If you are not concerned about privacy then Facebook is for you. I can't even begin to list all the potential ways Facebook can be a danger to your privacy and sanity.

My friends all seem to have FB accounts, but I won't have one. I know I miss out on what they're doing and where they're going and it seems to knit them more closely together. That's sad for me, because I do feel left out. We all used to get together and catch up over lunches or potlucks, but that has stopped as they have FB.

FB seems to be a substitute for real, "face to face" communication. It's fast and easy and you don't have to put on decent clothes and go out. I think it's a sad commentary on modern life.

I suppose it has its uses -- keeping up with friends on the other side of the country and things like that. But what happened to e-mail or hey, a phone call?

Okatz

• 3 weeks later...
[be...]
Despise it. Especially when you get someone who has to post about every little detail of their day. Captive audience syndrome or what? I avoid it most of the time. Yuck.

Thumbs down from me unless you ONLY have true friends/family on the list. No one has 789088+ friends :P  I'm SOOOOOOOOOO glad I didn't grow up with such garbage. kids + unsupervised internet = Disaster

Don't get me wrong, great way to keep in touch with close friends etc but otherwise, not for me.

Cheers,

Fonz

Social media wasn't good for my mental health. That's all I can say with certainty. I shouldn't have ever started an fb act. In fact, I should have spent way way less time on the pc. There, my honest answer

Facebook made me so depressed when I was in the thick of it. I'd go on, look at everyone doing things that just couldn't at the time.

Now that I can "participate" in life, I find it useful to stay in touch with out-of-state family members. It has its purpose.

I really love facebook ...as an older person it really helps me stay current and in touch with my son and daughter and my grandsons....it also is great fir staying in touch with friends and family who live far away....and people who I care about but can not possibly stay social with because being an introvert. my social energy is limited. I am very careful with privacy settings and delete anyone who is using facebook to be snarky or unkind...I do not share political or religious sites because I have friends and family on every point of the spectrum ...I save my political comments for the threads oncooper the political pages. I love seeing photos of my grandsons. There are things I don't like about facebook but it continues to be my #2 go to distraction, after BB s . There are plenty of days when my concentration is nil or my anxiety is using up my head space and scrolling through facebook is the best I can do. Having said all of that I respect everyone's decision to use or not use social media...I have many friends who do not have facebook...it just takes a little more effort to be in touch with them.