Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

off topic but would like some info on canada

[st...]

today i get it in my head i'm ready for a new move new life, i was thinking canada.. i'm tired of florida and i'm starting to think the climate has made me sicker thru the years,you know with the mold and allergens in florida ..i wonder if this is also making my symptoms worse. so ok im a mid-west guy and i love the cold weather for some reson i always felt energetic in the cold and sluggish in the heat,i mean i like the sun dont get me wrong but i would like that 75 80 degree weathers  ya know.. also im tired of all the bugs biting and humidity and sweating, so my question to my benzo buddies is ... is anybody from canada  or has moved to canad from us,hows the living their and is it a process just to move their ..as i heard in canada they dont just allow everyone to move in.. i mwould like to try it for a year and see how it feels, and how are the people in canada,and crime and cost of living ..thanks to all that read this.

Canada is great. Unlike USA, we are friendly to everyone and do not cultivate a heavily racist culture. Also, free health care.

Canada is very different than the US depending on where in Canada

We definitely have better health care which is affordable for everyone

Not as racist more accepting I would not live in the US nice to visit

what i wanna know is how do i go about moving to canada? do they just let you move in or is it a process? please let me know i know heir is alot of buddies from canada here

No, you can not just move to Canada, you have to come here legally through immigration and become a landed immigrant then eventually you can become a citizen.

If you come illegally, you can not work nor get health care, we have strict rules about immigration here just like your country the United States although far too many illegal aliens live there and I am sure here too. If caught you will be shipped back even those seeking asylum here must be able to prove why they have sought asylum and sometimes they even are forced to leave.

I am shocked at the many Americans that know absolutely nothing about our country, its climate, right now we are suffering through a 5 day heat wave like allot of American states, been over 100 every day, its only cold here in the winter just like half of the states are and we do not live in igloos or see polar bears on our streets and this is no joke, I have actually been asked this question from someone in a state not far from the border!

Hope this has answered some of your questions.

No, you can not just move to Canada, you have to come here legally through immigration and become a landed immigrant then eventually you can become a citizen.

If you come illegally, you can not work nor get health care, we have strict rules about immigration here just like your country the United States although far too many illegal aliens live there and I am sure here too. If caught you will be shipped back even those seeking asylum here must be able to prove why they have sought asylum and sometimes they even are forced to leave.

I am shocked at the many Americans that know absolutely nothing about our country, its climate, right now we are suffering through a 5 day heat wave like allot of American states, been over 100 every day, its only cold here in the winter just like half of the states are and we do not live in igloos or see polar bears on our streets and this is no joke, I have actually been asked this question from someone in a state not far from the border!

Hope this has answered some of your questions.

If you think that's bad, you should try living in Australia and hearing all the myths and misconceptions about our country....lol...  Ah, no, we don't keep kangaroos as pets, we don't have them jumping down Main Street and very few of us are like Steve Irwin or Crocodile Dundee.

However, we are all as gorgeous as Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman - that one is true...lol......

Maybe you'd like to think of places like Scotland or Wales as well? Climate is very mild compared to Florida and it's English speaking as well.

I'm not American, but I've been to the US a couple of times (to Florida as well) and I don't understand the whole racist comment. I mean, there's no country in the world as sensitive about races and to avoid judgement about skin colour like the US. Believe me, most countries in the world are not as tolerant as the US and western Europe. Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe are far more racist than the US will ever be.

Most countries however demand that you have a work permit and money to live, which is a good thing I believe.

no racist comment from me  (i love everybody) i'm puerto rican and i'm just looking for a change.. i have a lil money,so what would be the first step to try and move into canada?

Actually, after my husband finished his 4 years in the Navy after he was drafted for Vietnam we went through a relatively easy immigration to Canada. He found a cousin who sponsored him for a rather small job. It was not in his field nor interest but after Vietnam experience he just wanted out. We waited 6 months. Supposedly you had to be going into work no one else could do. Anyone could do this job. But we were accepted.

Recently Harper did a trade deal with China in which he allowed many hundred Chinese in to immigrate, taking away Canadian's lucrative jobs in the Oil Sands in Alberta.

If you have a job waiting you can usually immigrate. It just takes time. Of course if you can find a politition to support you that would help. We have lived in Canada 38 years and do live on a lake.

thanks becky, i'm ready to leave the us.. i wanna try canada.. but it seems like a lot of red tape to live their.. cant i just visit and stay a year or more or would i get kicked out? but then i wouldnt get canadian benefits if i was a visitor right?

Afraid it won't work. I just talked to my new GP who was a flight surgeon in the US Air force for ten years before moving to Canada with his partner where they married, bought a house. The problem was although he immigrated he was told he didn't need landed Immigrant papers. Because he is a doctor he will probably eventually get his papers, but now the banks will not give him credit to open his office because the banks say he is illegal.

• 1 month later...
[2a...]
Can you claim refugee status? That is a sure fire way in. Tricky part is you have to prove your life is in danger in your originating country. Well...what city do you live in - you might qualify.

Canada is great. Unlike USA, we are friendly to everyone and do not cultivate a heavily racist culture. Also, free health care.

Who's a racist?? American's? How racist! ???

Here's what Canada is like in a typical trail park.  :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUC5JFZ4DP4

Hey I was just kidding, lol.  What do Canadians think of Trailer Park Boys anyhow?

• 1 month later...

OK, In our defense we are not all racists in the USA, Only 1 in 49 of us come from missouri ;)

I am from Nevada (vegas) and cross pollination is not a problem here :laugh: