Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

suggestions for tv shows or movies on netflix or regular cable??

[ca...]

I’m sorry you feel ashamed, Nick.  I am thankful for the distraction during withdrawal.  Would you like to share your list? 

Sometimes we must take care of ourselves first.

SaraSue  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ca...]

• [Cu...]

• [Ca...]

• [mp...]

No reason to feel ashamed, Nick...we're all struggling.  What's wrong w/being entertained/enjoying ourselves, in whatever limited capacity?  Please try to.

:smitten:

A new entry on cable on FX is Fosse/Verdon, the story of Bob Fosse, famous choreographer/director and Gwen Verdon, his muse, dancer & wife.  I believe it is a limited-run series (as Big Little Lies...yay!  Season 2 should be returning soon & to HBO...second yay!  Not a streaming service).  Only knew about it from catching Michelle Williams-Gwen Verdon (she inhabits character of G.V.) & Sam Rockwell-Fosse, separately, on late-night talk shows.  Tuned in b/c I think both of them are fabulous!!  Watched 1st episode...VG.  Most of it was at a much later date in the relationship, so eager to dig into more episodes.  I missed episode 2; b/c watching The Fix (ABC) same time.  I've got a lot I'm alternating between.  Purchased number of series' DVDs (as posted earlier) so alternating regular TV/cable viewing w/those.  Both Luther & Life being so good, I just began 2nd season of Luther...that show is so dark, need to alternate w/something light & currently, that's Cashmere Mafia.  This is also VG+++++!!!  It had originally aired same time as Lipstick Jungle.  Both, sort of extend the premise of Sex & The City & rounds it out deeper, exploring balancing careers & relationships.  Great cast starring Lucy Liu, Miranda Otto & Peter Herman.  Miranda Otto was in the miniseries The Starter Wife (mentioned above)...very clever, dramatic & witty...all wrapped together!  Go to youtube & enter series' name + trailer to get an idea if you'd be interested.

Hope to read your comments here on anything you're viewing & enjoying.  :thumbsup::D

I'm not going to post the whole list, nobody will believe the garbage i have watched for years on end.  :D

The shows i have enjoyed most are:

Game of thrones

Fargo

Better call saul

Breaking bad

The handmaids tale

Mr. robot

Vikings

Taboo

Westworld

since i started this w/d process like most of you i have watched way too much tv - but somedays it's all i can do,  my dr. and said that was ok, so i have been...but i'm so tired of watching these shows, and can't think of new ones i want to watch, so any suggestions would be welcome...

the tv shows i like the most are :

two broke girls

mike and molly

csi

criminal minds

20/20

chelsea lately

modern family

friday nights live all 72 episodes twice...

law and order criminal intent

motive

60 minutes

soa

nurse jackie

dexter

shameless

Have you tried NCIS and NCIS LA, both have quite a bit of humor

Life In Pieces a comedy

Big Bang

Friends

Chicago Fire

That will get you started, tried to go by what you have already watched  ;)

NCIS is a pretty great junkfood TV to have on and let a day slip by.

It's a shame that Good Eats isn't fully available.

I'm finding Netflix's Dragon Prince to be getting better with every season.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not going to post the whole list, nobody will believe the garbage i have watched for years on end.  :D

Game of thrones

Fargo

Better call saul

Breaking bad

The handmaids tale

Mr. robot

Vikings

Taboo

Westworld

Thank you, Nick!!

Game of thrones

Fargo

Better call saul

Breaking bad

The handmaids tale

Mr. robot

Vikings

Taboo

Westworld

Thank you, Nick!!

I can totally support

Game of Thrones

Vikings

Breaking Bad

And all have a lot of seasons

More

Peaky Blinders

Killing Eve is wild :D

• 2 weeks later...

Classic Cheesy Sci-Fi (A/K/A Shows that had no right to be as good as they were)

Stargate SG-1

Stargate Atlantis

Babylon 5, though it's a bit too close to real life these days for comfort.

Continuum

Farscape

Fringe

Red Dwarf

The Avengers (60's version)

Eureka

Warehouse 13

The Wild Wild West (Show)

The 100

I can think of a couple more:

BBC version Life on Mars (highly recommend this over the US version, very much.)  One of the best programs ever.  Crime drama, time-travel, & funny, too!  Great soundtrack!  U.S. version has Harvey Keitel in one of the lead roles.  I never would've been able to withstand him that long.  British cast is phenomenal & they created the series.  :thumbsup:

Travelers...was on Netflix 2016.  Canadian/American science fiction.  Eric McCormack leads a great cast.  I don't normally go in for science fiction, but I am immensely enjoying this.  :thumbsup:

Both of the above are available US machine playable (NTSC format). You just need do your due diligence to get the proper version/region code.  Or, if you have multi-format, that's not a concern for you. 

If you dig Life on Mars, the sequel series Ashes to Ashes is strong as well.

Great suggestion; I'd heard about Ashes To Ashes as well.  That does look good, too, esp. as it's set in 80s - got to be another VG++ soundtrack!

I still have 1 more episode on Season (Series) 1 of Life on Mars before Season 2.  Probably in between, I'll watch some of The Fall & alternate between that & Humans, like I've done w/Season 1 LOM & Travelers. 

Will post after viewing some of The Fall.  Here's clip to Trailer:

(This may be US Netflix-streaming). 

For viewers used to only U.S. programming, warning: UK's more intense/heightened/visually graphic (re: crime drama's/thrillers), which may be jarring, at first.  Once you've viewed, then U.S. seems too slick/glossy & lightweight in comparison.  IMO it's not misplaced just for shock value, but adds to the overall quality.

Tomorrow premiere of show (looks good ;)) Lifetime Network June 2:

American Princess

Trailer:

I'll also give links for trailers of some series I mentioned in earlier posts:

Travelers:

The Starter Wife - Miniseries (and tv series) on DVD.  Don't know if streaming.  It's from earlier in 2000s.

Debra Messing, Judy Davis, Joe Montegna & more of a stellar cast!

Dramedy/Rom-Com. 

Luther (Season 1 trailer) Season 5 returns June 2/BBC America.

Warning: Violent/Graphic.

Life on Mars (UK version):

Spectacular Show!!

Good Girls Revolt.  Originally streamed on Amazon (I believe 2016); don't know if currently streaming there, or elsewhere.  I purch. DVD.

Period Drama: 1969 set in NYC @ Editorial magazine...a cross between Rolling Stone and Life. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAB_BuPH4EQ

Additional series I've either just begun or have ordered on DVD:

Netflix: Dead To Me.  Black Comedy/Suspense/Drama.  Starring Christine Applegate/James Marsden/Linda Cardellini.  Looks VG+++!

British.  I'm enjoying British programming lately over US.  They know how to make use of space; not filling up constantly w/*dialogue, letting tension build.

The Fall.  Psychological Crime Drama.  Gillian Anderson/The X Files, Jamie Dornan/50 Shades of Grey.  Very deliberate pacing.

*I remember catching an interview with, I believe, Priyanka Chopra, when Quantico was new about how much more dialogue was being written into t.v. timeslots & how much faster actors are required to speak.  IMO, when viewing a lot of TV, this takes on a frantic tone, which the British dramas, thankfully, do not. 

Keeping Faith.  Psychological Thriller. 

Murder In Surburbia.  Crime Drama/Suspense.

Lost In Austen.  Time-Travel Rom-Com.

Looks really cute.  Just ordered on DVD today. 

Kind of a reverse "Kate and Leopold" (movie w/Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman).

I'm also giving a link for new shows coming this Summer:

http://www.zimbio.com/New+TV+Shows+Coming+In+Summer+2019?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Mail-ZM-Email-Special-20190530&utm_content=Mail-ZM-Email-Special-20190530+Version+A+CID_0d883bb39590787388df890d6cd09a16&utm_source=mail&utm_term=READ%20MORE

I'd love to hear if anyone takes any recommendations...whatcha think of 'em!  ;) 

Following..

You are all saving my life here.. :)

Just started "the hot zone"...

Personally, I dont have to worry about Triggers from what I watch, but for those that do.. -I found the old "The Fugative" Series in black n white to be pretty light but drawing.. Good old Dr Richard Kimble...

One I havnt noticed mentioned..?? -"The last Ship"..

:)

For lighter fare, the tv series Sisters (1990s era) is now on DVD; I think all seasons.

I'd found b/c I was looking for the Netflix series, which is originally an Australian show, which doesn't appear to be on DVD, but for those of you who have streaming services, it's worth a look.  It does look like a similar series is arriving in Fall 2019 on FOX: Not Just Me, which I'll watch.  I like actress Brittany Snow back to her early days on American Dreams (that's a good one to see if available streaming or get DVDs). 

Sisters 1990s tv show (Starrring Sela Ward, Swoosie Kurtz, Patricia Kalember & Julianne Phillips):

Not Just Me - Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL-gvYvyWgA

Following..

You are all saving my life here.. :)

Just started "the hot zone"...

Personally, I dont have to worry about Triggers from what I watch, but for those that do.. -I found the old "The Fugative" Series in black n white to be pretty light but drawing.. Good old Dr Richard Kimble...

One I havnt noticed mentioned..?? -"The last Ship"..

The Fall is great, loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dead To Me  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

2019 Netflix Show.  If don't have streaming, it's already on DVD! 

Terrific black comedy! :thumbsup:

Starring Christina Applegate, Linda Cardellini, James Marsden.  Very highly Recommend! :smitten:

• 4 weeks later...
Was a big fan of glitch. I think this Australian. But pretty trippy. And totally got my hooked by the first episode. 2 seasons and only 6-8 episodes I think per? Season 3 is coming out soon!

Hahaha “A police officer in a small country town finds his life turned upside down when six recently deceased residents return from the dead in perfect health.” I found it interesting!!

West World  I heard is coming back.  But not until 2020. You mean the one on hbo right ?

Hahaha “A police officer in a small country town finds his life turned upside down when six recently deceased residents return from the dead in perfect health.” I found it interesting!!

West World  I heard is coming back.  But not until 2020. You mean the one on hbo right ?

Thanks, -Could be a contender..!! :)

It might be HBO, Have the discs here in Aust..  -Robot land in a western setting..

Yup that’s the one! Coming back 2020. I LOVED the first season of that show. My girlfriend wasn’t as much of a fan so I stopped watching it come season 2. But ill start watching again, I usually watch stuff on my iPad anyways. But yes, glitch is an awesome show. Give it a shot once you’re done with your current shows , or if you can’t decide what to watch. Think you will like it. Has some neat twists. It’s not scary or to trippy either. Some people don’t wanna watch that kind of stuff. If you liked west world you probably will enjoy. Has some science type stuff too once you get further along!

Yup that’s the one! Coming back 2020. I LOVED the first season of that show. My girlfriend wasn’t as much of a fan so I stopped watching it come season 2. But ill start watching again, I usually watch stuff on my iPad anyways. But yes, glitch is an awesome show. Give it a shot once you’re done with your current shows , or if you can’t decide what to watch. Think you will like it. Has some neat twists. It’s not scary or to trippy either. Some people don’t wanna watch that kind of stuff. If you liked west world you probably will enjoy. Has some science type stuff too once you get further along!

Thanks.. :)

Season 2 lost my interest a bit at times...

No, Mary cured me.. -Im not sensitive to what I watch.. Ta for the consideration though..

Especially for Westworld fans:  (Highly recommend - for anybody, really)

Humans.  (Not to be confused w/Vampire show Being Human...I don't know how that is). 

Humans is about "synths".  Fantastic show! 

From Wickipedia:

Humans (stylised as HUM∀NS) is a science fiction television series that debuted on Channel 4. Written by the British team Sam Vincent and Jonathan Brackley, based on the Swedish science fiction drama Real Humans, the series explores the themes of artificial intelligence and robotics, focusing on the social, cultural, and psychological impact of the invention of anthropomorphic robots called "synths". The series is produced jointly by AMC in the United States, and Channel 4 and Kudos in the United Kingdom.