Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

suggestions for tv shows or movies on netflix or regular cable??

[ca...]

I stumbled across "Christine" for the first time during the worst of my c/t w/d. I love it!! Julia Louis-Dreyfuss is underated - I think she is right up there with the best all time comedic actors! Try Veep currently on HBO - hysterical!

M.  ;D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ca...]

• [Cu...]

• [Ca...]

• [mp...]

Love the suggestions!  I was never much of a tv watcher...and couldn't watch earlier in recovery, but now it is my evening entertainment. Love PBS series Call the Midwife. Watched the old tv series Northern Exposure on Netflix. It is funny and simply heartwarming. I will follow up with some of the suggestions here. Thanks.

Carita

Good movies:  Silver Linings Playbook.  The notebook.    27 Dresses...    In Her Shoes..    Just Friends....      This means war......          Grown ups....        Stepbrothers......        The Hangover.......    ( and many more.)

Has anybody seen Wallace and Gromit? It's animation, claymation, what have you. It's very creative

and funny.

Thanks for this thread, Cagr1!

My best,

Ig

Yesterday I watched both seasons of "The Book Group" it's available to stream free on Hulu. Just loved it! A nice mix of humor and light drama. Adult/sexual situations. 2 thumbs up says M.  8)

My husband and I started with Fringe and we are now obsessed.  It can be intense and some episodes are slightly gruesome, but we are loving it.  :)

How about the Investigation Discovery channel?  A few of the programs: On the Case With Paula Zahn, The FBI Files, Dateline on ID, Dark Minds, Behind Mansion Walls etc.  Check it out!

Happy Viewing,

Tempe 

thanks buddiies for sharing..i think i've logged about a million hours of tv - i really need knew stuff to watch..

what is the deal with duck dynasty?? or the show about how tattoo artists cover up really bad tattoo..so strange..

looking forward to having new shows to watch...

What??? Duck Dynasty kicks ass!!!!!!  My kids love that show! Guess you got to be a little "country" for that and not all "rock n roll". Lol

What??? Duck Dynasty kicks ass!!!!!!  My kids love that show! Guess you got to be a little "country" for that and not all "rock n roll". Lol

hi ph - i just don't get it..i'm not country at all...

why is "keeping up with the kardashians" still on tv?? bruce bought a gun and now they are at the range, they are so freaked out - i don't get it..way too much plastic surgery in this show, i guess it's on the air for us who can't do anything else, if i didn't have the drugs talking all day long i would never watch this show..

Cagr1

Not sure why "keeping up with the kardashians" is still on TV?  You reminded me of another show that I ask the same question about, Mob Wife's.  When I was deep in w/d my granddaughter 16yrs was watching this and I had to leave the room.  Didn't care for the content but most of all the plastic surgery was very disturbing to me!  Thank goodness I can look back on that and smile.

Be Well,

Tempe 

hi temple and everyone else for sharing..

mob wives was truly crazy - if they were mob wives or girlfriends or gummars i don't think they could even have a show..do they think the american tv viewers are stupid??

i still love the sopranos..i started with season one again last night..and now i'm addicted to the kardashians, i have no idea why...bruce jenner has had so much plastic surgery it's hard to look at him..although this season his kids from his other marriage is are on the show right now and they are hot..but it's still something i'm only watching right now..i don't see me watching this when i have my life back..

Hi everybody,

I found a British tv show on netflix streaming last night: Rosemary and Thyme.

We watched the first episode and liked it. Granted, I fell asleep as I am wont to do in front

of the telly, but the rest of the household liked the whole show.

What a great thread this is! Thanks, Cagr1!

My best,

Ig

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I really liked Fargo on Netflix. There are two seasons to binge watch. The Marvelous Miss Markle on Amazon Prime is really good too.

The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu is terrific.

Becky :smitten:

We got rid of NETFLIX and all Network television.  Too evil .....we don't need to invite evil into our homes, we will have NONE Of it!  Why give money to networks who want USA destroyed?  They won't get our money!!!

• 2 months later...

Since I'm pretty much housebound, I do have lots of info. for this thread! :D:sick:

I don't have streaming services, so watch DVD's.  Watch current cable & network too, but alternate w/DVDs.  If you don't have DVD player, view on netflix. 

First, didn't read all the pages of posts, but did see James Gandofini's name mentioned (of course, re: The Sopranos).  Want to mention a movie of his, w/spectacular performances from all cast (Robert Redford, Mark Ruffalo) w/a great script: The Last Castle.  Especially for those who enjoyed The Shawshank Redemption. 

Agree Damages (just received Seasons 1-3 & Season 5) & Nurse Jackie.  Also Weeds.

Anything David E. Kelly.  There's real shortage of Drama-Comedies without his writing on TV.

I've been watching Ally McBeal, Season 4 ~ IMO best Season.  w/Robert Downey, Jr. as love-interest.  Love that in this show, music is as prominent as another character.

Luther

BBC - Fascinating Psychological Cop Drama Thriller

(Starring Idris Elba & Ruth Wilson...she of "The Affair"; also recommend) very suspenseful; couldn't view more than 1 episode @ a time & would alternate w/Ally McBeal, to "unclench", but it's engrossing.  Ordered Seasons 2 & 3 after watching just 1st episode of Season 1.  No worries re: British accents; it's that Excellent & easily understood, so don't let that sway you.  (View trailer & while the trailer's not so graphic, the series is.)

Good Girls Revolt

Amazon - Drama taking place in 1969 @ a Cultural Newsmagazine.  While reporters/assistants working on stories, most of it takes place outside of the workplace, during investigating.  Lots of important historical moments, while incorporating relationship-themes.  Fantastic soundtrack...not the usual 60s music - that's thanks to Dhani Harrison being @ helm (George Harrison's son).  Lots of the music is demo, or alternate versions.

Excellent, entertaining "take" on the year in Culture.  Thought much more well-rounded of the time, than Mad Men, which I'd quickly lost interest in.

General Hospital

Daytime Soap that's not overly "Soap-y".  Find characters less over-the-top dramatic & gorgeous (though, of course, they are very attractive).  They also tackle very hard-hitting, relevant themes.  I fully expect if this benzo "silent" epidemic is ever addressed, General Hospital will likely be the first to do so. I don't view during day, but put in Viewer Cart to view in PM. 

The Starter Wife

Comedy/Drama Miniseries & there's also a 1st Season.  Went off, not due to cast, or writing, but b/c it was around time of writers' strike.  Lost momentum.

Hollywood wife/divorce...picking up the pieces. 

Spectacular cast helmed by:  Debra Messing, Judy Davis.

Life

Psychological Cop-Drama.  Both this & Luther, above, have additional human backstory elements (relationships, etc.) woven into the plot throughtout, while each episode is one particular crime. 

Stellar cast: Damien Lewis (currently on Billions.  I don't care for that show, but love this...another, where, after 1 episode, purchased Season 2), Sarah Shahih (anything she's in) Adam Arkin.

Fairly Legal - w/Sarah Shahih

Legal Comedy-Drama

In Plain Sight

Drama starring: Mary McCormack, Fred Weller, Leslie Ann Warren

She's Federal Marshall w/FBI Witness Protection Program.  Like above, melding human backstory elements w/work.  Family life, etc.  Funny, too.

Previously viewed:

Nip/Tuck -  Medical Drama/Dark Comedy.  Created by Ryan Murphy.  Starring Dylan Walsh, Julian McMahon.

American Dreams - Set in early 1960s. Lighthearted drama/comedy.  Again, set against historical cultural themes, set around American Bandstand.  Popular music artists from the time making appearances on show.

Lonesome Dove - Western. Miniseries. Starring Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones, Diane Lane. From Larry McMurtry novel.

Once and Again  - Relationship Drama.  Starring Sela Ward, Billy Campbell, Evan Rachel Wood & Shane West

Stand-Up Comedy Specials:

Sebastian Maniscalco  :laugh:

(Any) of his!!  :laugh:

Do a search on Rotten Tomatoes under actors/actresses you've enjoyed.  You'll find there are loads which are direct-to-DVD release, then watch trailer on youtube to see if you might enjoy.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/

Particular favorite movie (there are loads; just mentioning this one as I'd recently viewed again, in light of Luke Perry R.I.P.)

8 Seconds

Excellent rodeo/cowboy biography of Lane Star (you needn't be a fan to enjoy this, as it's a wonderful human-interest/love story of all types love: spousal, friendship, parent-child).  Wonderful performances by Luke, who did his own stunts and Stephen Baldwin, Cynthia Geary, James Rebhorn.  Outstanding! :thumbsup: 

Hope these recommendations are helpful! :thumbsup::)

Russian Doll on a Netflix is good but might bee too much for some.

Now trying to watch The Sinner on Netflix.

When on benzo's and during withdrawal i have watched an incredible amount of TV shows, all downloaded.

I made a list and am ashamed of the time i spent watching all that crap. So much time wasted but it was therapeutic, it made me forget of my withdrawal and reality.

Now i try to watch less TV as possible.