Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Book suggestions--any kind of book--ideas?

[ig...]

Hi everybody,

even though I'm able to only read a few pages of a book in a sitting, I find such freedom there,

so I thought I'd ask for reading suggestions.

Any category of book suggestion is welcome.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Ignatious

I read books by familiar authors whose styles I enjoy, especially if they're from series with already familiar characters.  I also enjoy rereading books that I read years ago, this gives me a sense of continuity that feels comforting and cozy.  I like mysteries, and authors including Ruth Rendell, Sue Grafton, and Tony Hillerman.

Megan,

you get a prize for being the first responder!

I had forgotten about Tony Hillerman! Love him plus he wrote quite a few books.

Grafton: definitely. Rendell: need suggestions: I think I've read one of her books years ago.

Thanks!

Ignatious

Anybody else? Ideas?

Ig - if you enjoy fiction, the "Odd Thomas" series by Dean Koontz are quite entertaining, as is the "Frankenstein"series also by Koontz (to a slightly lesser degree toward the end of the series). The new Gatsby movie that came out earlier this year inspired me to re-read the book, a classic for a reason!

QuietHope

Hi QuietHope, 

Most of his Koontz's books are too scary for me right now, though, but I will check these out.

He wrote a nonficiton book about his dog which was a good read.

I reread The Great Gatsby years ago...it's fantastic. A reviewer wrote that it is "seamless". Yep.

Thanks for the book ideas!

Ig (like my new nickname--thanks for that)

;) You are more than welcome for the nickname. I have also read Koontz nonfiction work about his Golden Retriever (I have one, so it caught my eye). I have read pretty much all of his work at least twice and picked Odd Thomas specifically because the tone is lighter and has more of a comedic edge, despite the premise (Fry Cook from Palo Mundo who sees the dead and is compelled to help them resolve whatever issues are preventing them from moving on...and it gets weirder from there).

I also just finished a book called House Girl by Tara Conklin that was outstanding. It flips back and forth between the story of a runaway house slave named Josephine in 1852 who was allowed to use her "missus" art supplies to paint (and whose works later become famously, and mistakenly, attributed to the slave-owners wive, Lu Anne Bell, and the current day story of an attorney working on a class-action lawsuit seeking reparations for the descendants of American slaves (she finds a living descendant of Josephine to be the face of the lawsuit)

QH

Hey QuietHope,

I'll check into the Odd Thomas books in a while. Still need to read unscary stuff. Sounds interesting, though.

I like Koontz.

House Girl by Conklin sounds fascinating. The injustice of it all...my heart weeps. Fascinating. I'm assuming

this is non fiction? Glad a lawyer is on the case.

Thanks!

Ig

Ig, House Girl is a work of fiction based on characters actually documented historically - a very good read! - QH

Thanks, all, for your book ideas.

Eckhard, what have you read?

QuietHope, that sounds like a good read.

thanks!

Ig

Hi Ignatius,

Great to see this thread! How are you doing?

Having not read a book for eight months (too sick or anxious to read) I have just completed four books in a month!

The first was Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn which was a but creepy but sort of funny,

I cheated and read the end in case I couldn't take it!

I also read A Curious Incident of the Dog in the night, which is a sort of crime novel about a teenager with Aspergers. The crime is very low key so its not scary. I could really the relate to him at the moment and it was funny and sad at the same time.

The last one was a Man and Boy by Tony Parsons. Previously I would have found it a bit sentimental but it took me out of myself in a good way.

It was the sheer boredom of being ill in bed which got me reading, now I'm really glad of the distraction.

All best wishes

magga x

I have not been able to read a book for over a year. I read my first book all the way through in the last couple of days. Oddly, I picked up my first Vince Flynn novel the day before he died and finished it on the day he died.

He has some 12 or 13 books, all based on the character Mitch Rapp who is a suffer no fools CIA operative. I think I'll read them all. I love good character development and he has done that very well.

:thumbsup:

hi.

iseem to  be in a benzo- reading -mania, the books i read now are all about benzo wd. there are some good ones on the marked. DEATH GRIP(by matt samet); RECOVERY and RENEWAL( by bliss johns); MEDICATION MADNESS(peter breggin); TOXIC PSYCHIATRY(peter breggin)

I've also ordered the DVD by brian baxter BENZO WD WELCOME TO HELL (amazon)

I watch it once a day,seems to set my mind at peace.

Ig claudia

Hi,

such great book selections!

Claudia, I love it: "a benzo -reading -mania." That's good. Glad you have been able to read lately.

Tell me about Breggins' book and the others. I've been to his website and I'm impressed with him.

Brian Baxter's DVD sounds interesting...um, but you find solace in watching him? Um, clue me

in as I am clueless here...it must have some comforting stuff in there, huh?

Just thinking.."Brian", with the letters somewhat rearranged is "Brain". Yes, I'm a bit tangental..

Fliprain, glad you can read again too. It's such a gift.

Sometimes I can read a few pages at a time only, but I'm so grateful for that.

I just finished a book by Bill Bryson called "In a Sunburned Country." It's nonfiction about Australia

and it's fascinating.

Thanks for your book ideas,

Ig

I'm a big John Irving fan. His books are often about relationships. Nothing too violent or disturbing.

Cider House Rules

A pray for Owen Meany....etc. Both oldies but goodies.

This is one of my top 5 ever,

Memoirs of a Geisha

by Arthur Golden

Sayuri, one of Japan's most celebrated geisha, is both performer and courtesan, slave and goddess. At nine, in a 1929 poor fishing village, she is sold to a geisha house, the buyer attracted by the child's unusual blue-grey eyes. In Gion, the pleasure district of Kyoto, she works to pay back the price of her purchase, while learning music, dance, elaborate costumes and more

Great Short Read,

Molly :smitten:

hi ignatiois,

i just saw that your suffering startet about 10 years ago, whichis bloody heavy. well matt samet's book is heavy. took me quite a while to finish, cause i always had to put it down.but i think its an absolout MUST' to read , in the beginning i skipped the pages about his climbing, but eventually i read the book about 3 times. dr breggins books are more on the scientific side and interesting.

brian baxter's dvd is a hit. also his case is relative short compared to mine and probably yours.

but he suffers a lot, and by watching it someone is actually telling to your face not to give up and it does get better. so that helps.

good healing to you

Ig claudia

Hi Molly,

great choice! I first saw that as a movie, then I read that splendid book. I wonder if Golden has written

another...hmmmm. Going to the library today...

Claudia, I will look into your suggestions.

And Hope, John Irving--I had forgotten about him...duh...

Thanks for these suggestions!

Best,

Ig

On a side note; I saw John Irving interviewed on a talk show. He's really strange. Not at all what I expected. He's a bit of a nut.  :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

It's taken me 2 days to find this thread.. :2funny:

Ig,

What books did you pick up at the library?? 

At our library they put a comment card on the inside cover where you can write a short review..I love that, I can walk down any isle and just look inside the cover of any book to see if several people liked it or not, it's introduced me to a lot of new adventures by authors I hadn't heard of..

Hi Molly,

what a great idea your library has! Reviews inside books..how glorious.

Let's see...what did I get?

Farewell, Dorothy Parker by Ellen Meister: it's fiction and funny;

The First Rule, by Robert Crais: it's fiction with some violence, which I usually avoid, but Crais is a good writer;

Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran: fiction about two Indian women in Ireland;

Give Me The World by Leila Hadley: it's a travel book.

Shadow of the Silk Road, by Colin Thubron: yet another travel book.

Ahhh. I love having books around me. It's a comfort.

What are you reading?

Cheers,

Ig

I read these several years ago and their so funny I just ordered the set from B&N because I need a good laugh.

Annie George,

Murder on a girls night out (#1)

Murder on a Bad Hair Day ( #2)

Murder Runs in the Family (#3)

Murder Makes Waves (#4)

Murder Gets a Life (#5)

Murder Shoots the Bull (#6)

Murder Carries a Torch (#7)

Murder Boogies with Elvis (#8)

Happy reading,

Anything by Anne Tyler,. Richard Russo., Margaret Atwood.

Just finished a book by a vet named Nick Trout. He's written 2 books, and if you like animals, you'll like either of them. "Tell me Where it Hurts" is one.

Ooooh, IGo2God, new authors! Thanks. "Murder Boogies with Elvis"? Cool title.

Thanks, also, eastcoast. Didn't know about the vet. Love animal books.

Thanks!

Ig