Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Lorazepam

[ck...]

Hey guys. Just a quick question to get peoples views on taking lorazepam say 3 to 4 times a week. Can dependency build up form this kind of use? As long as you are having times periods of not taking it, does this help?

Hey there ckyrule,

In my opinion, I would say it is dangerous, even if you are not taking it every night. .. I think the drug is too addicting not to cause issues down the road and I do think that dependency can build up.

I believe I read in the UK that docs not only need to prescribe this drug for a very short time period, but it can not be prescribed for anxiety or insomnia.  I wish the US would follow these precautions as well, but apparently we are far behind.

Not trying to cause you any alarm, just want to give you an idea of the potential effects of the drug.   

I don't have any science to back it up but my feeling is that intermittent use like you describe would not cause a problem for most people.  Some people do seem to become dependent very quickly, though, so do keep track of your use to make sure "as needed" doesn't become daily.  ;)

Yes, one can become dependent with weekly-intermittent use.  I tapered along with a buddie who took a benzo this way and she became dependent.  The buddy had to do a taper in order to be able to stop. 

Me too.  Took Ativan "as needed" every few days, but within a few weeks began getting symptomatic on the days I didn't take it.  My doctor's advice to relieve the symptoms was to start taking the Ativan three times a day every day whether I needed it or not.  Being ignorant of benzos at the time I did what she said, and my fate was sealed.

Hey Ckyrule,

I would never put this poison in my system...but I am currently suffering in withdrawal.

I have been on BB for 8 months and a lot of people started out taking a Benzo "every now and then"...and had to slowly increase, until they were addicted...It is a common story on here.

I would throw the drug away and RUN, do not walk away from all this.

I wish someone had known to tell me that 12 years ago...

Don't do it.

Take care of your mind/body and soul.

This is your chance to walk away relatively unharmed.

Causingpain

OOOH YES!!  This is how I got into this fine mess...I took as needed 15yrs ago. At first it was a couple of time a month. Then went to a couple of times a week.  the last years because of stress and my Mom dying took the pill to cope.....I FINALLY figured out the pill was doing more harm than helping......Big wake-up call....Big withdraw.....Holy crap stay away from benzos. They are there to take for only a week or maybe two for chronic situations other wise your in trouble.....  Jude

Hey guys. Just a quick question to get peoples views on taking lorazepam say 3 to 4 times a week. Can dependency build up form this kind of use? As long as you are having times periods of not taking it, does this help?

Hi Ckyrule.  Don't do it.  Intermittent use of benzos in the way you describe is known hasten dependency.  (See Ashton and others.) 

Such a medication regime can also cause interdose withdrawal which is unpleasant enough but eventually it can lead to sensitization or kindling which is really unpleasant.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have run screaming from the room when that first rx was written! Once I get off of this crap I will never allow it to be given to me again!! Run, run while you still can, dear!!

Much love and best of luck! QuietHope

• 3 weeks later...
[53...]
I thought that short term or intermittent use of Lorazepam was going to be no big deal. WOW...was I EVER wrong. Now I am really paying the price and a costly one at that. My opinion is to leave Lorazepam completely alone and never take it. I wouldn't be here if it hadn't been for Lorazepam.