Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Great movies and TV shows for distraction--let's make a huge list

[ig...]

Okay...

here's an idea..

I've been searching for non-violent movies, and they aren't the easiest to find,

so I'm going to name some, and please feel free to add to this list.

Also, good television fare is welcome too.

Air Bud (it's a movie about a dog)

Frasier (tv reruns--non violent)

Any others?

Thanks,

Ignatious

I often watch HGTV, shows such as "House Hunters" and especially "House Hunters International."

For movies, TCM has a lot of old, classic movies which are less violent and much slower paced than most modern ones.  Movies made before 1960 are usually "safe" to watch.

And, of course, PBS has good shows such as "Doc Martin," "Foyle's War," and "Mystery."

:thumbsup:

I bought a DVD set from TCM of all ten Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movies.

TCM also has a set of Busby Berkeley movies from the 1930s. The most famous is "42nd Street" which must be on any list of the ten greatest musicals of all time. The set also includes the "Gold Digger" movies.

These DVDs are also available individually from the TCM website.

Oh I love Busby Berkeley too.  He was a genius.  "The Gay Divorcee" is my favorite.

That is one of the ten movies that Fred and Ginger made together. I didn't know Busby Berkeley had anything to do with it.

Home Alone. Under the Tuscan Sun. Family Stone. Just three of my favorite movies. As far as tv shows go...I LOVE Everybody loves Raymond, King of Queens, Andy Griffith Show, Leave it to Beaver...especially since I've been going through withdrawal. I watch four episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond every night since going on this benzo journey. It's very calming to me. I can't stand to watch the movies that used to be my favorite...like Silence of the Lambs!! No way! :-\

Stevie

http://www.amovieaweek.com/images/shawshank1.jpg

“hope is a good thing. maybe the best of good things. and no good thing ever dies”

The Shawshank Redemption

I know it's a bit off but Family guy helps and Archer. I actually laughed hysterically for the first time in a while

Yeah, I find Family Guy pretty distracting and funny.

Will check Archer.

How about LA Story? Love that movie.

Mr. Ed is a funny old show...very innocent and somehow that talking horse just cracks me up. :)

Adam Sandler always makes me laugh. Big daddy, Happy Gilmore, Wedding singer etc. The only one I never liked was Punch Drunk Love. Oh and Water Boy was freakin hilarious too. :D

LA Story was, I think, written by Steve Martin. It's hilarious.

Mr. Ed? I had forgotten about that one.

Hitchcock shows? I'll look into that.

Thanks,

and keep the ideas coming!

Ignatious

Even in w/d I still like gritty movies but here's some on the gentler side that I've enjoyed:

Life of Pi

Grease

A Beautiful Mind

The Insider

Once

All That Jazz

Pirates of the Carribean

Shakespeare in Love

Titanic

Parenthood

Raiders of the Lost Ark

And some TV shows (mostly cable / Netflix):

Doc Martin

Absolutely Fabulous

Golden Girls

Cheers

Frasier

Fawlty Towers

30 Rock

The Office

Home Improvement

Mr. Bean

koko

Even in w/d I still like gritty movies but here's some on the gentler side that I've enjoyed:

All That Jazz

I would warn people against that one. Especially the sequence that shows him taking pills day after day and then ending up in a body bag!

did anyone see 'pride of the yankees' ?

its about Lou Gehrig. he was amazing. i loved that movie. he was so brave!

it really was grace and courage.

I love that movie too Gard but if you suffer from hypochondria you might start wondering if YOU have "Lou Gehrig disease".  Gary Cooper is sooo gorgeous though.  K. 

speaking of hypochondria, a really funny  movie is What About Bob with Bill Murray. I can really relate to him. lol It's about a patient and his psychiatrist. It's hysterical..at least to me since I can relate. :D

Stevie

This one might not go over too well, but last night I watched Zero Dark Thirty. Excellent movie, yes violent and a lot of bad words, but it was a well made movie that kept my attention.

Jim Gaffigan is hilarious! He is a stand up comic. Pretty clean humor too.  He has YouTube videos and we rented his CD from Red box. He's great distraction.

Hi,

Zero Dark Thirty is going to be too violent for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Will check Jim Gaffigan. There are lots of comedians out there, so keep the ideas coming.

Thanks,

Ignatious

I love that movie too Gard but if you suffer from hypochondria you might start wondering if YOU have "Lou Gehrig disease".  Gary Cooper is sooo gorgeous though.  K.

the way they did movie, i focused more on the love story.

oh i know, Gary Cooper was so handsome! :smitten:

i joined an online baseball forum so i could see pics of lou and his wife. :)

Almost any Alfred Hitchcock movie, up to and including "Psycho!"  Hitchcock considered "Shadow of a Doubt," made in 1943, his best movie and I agree--it's perfect.  "The Birds" is a bit violent, though, but both these movies take place in Northern California "wine country," where I once lived. 

i loved <What about Bob'.  :laugh:

the scene where he gets on bus with goldfish was so funny. oh i could relate to him.

last night i couldnt sleep so watched 'capote'-

i didnt think id like it but it was good. i was amazed that he didnt take notes. i read the book yrs ago and it was well written.