Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Feet Issues

I have had tingling sensations in my feet, particularly if I touch a certain area, it shoots down my toes. This seems like nerve pain. My feet are also FREEZING all the time. I get this weird pressure in my ankles too, especially if I stand on one leg too long. I think there may be swelling in my ankles as well. The tops of my feet also have some swelling. Anyone experience any of these symptoms? I went the the podiatrist and he had no idea why I am experiencing these things. Thanks for the help!

Sorry you have this, too.  :(  I didn't have swelling, but I sure did have tingling and freezing feet that even turned red on the soles,  and eventually more tingling in my hands, arms, legs, mouth, face.  I'm 15 mo. off now and still have some minor tingling, though not nearly as bad as it was, and the freezing/red feet don't happen anymore.      If you do a search on "tingling" on the main forum page, you will get some hits.  The Ashton Manual says this: 

Bodily sensations. All sorts of strange tinglings, pins and needles, patches of numbness, feelings of electric shocks, sensations of hot and cold, itching, and deep burning pain are not uncommon during benzodiazepine withdrawal. It is difficult to give an exact explanation for these sensations but, like motor nerves, the sensory nerves, along with their connections in the spinal cord and brain, become hyperexcitable during withdrawal. It is possible that sensory receptors in skin and muscle, and in the tissue sheaths around bones, may fire off impulses chaotically in response to stimuli that do not normally affect them.

In my clinic, nerve conduction studies in patients with such symptoms revealed nothing abnormal - for example, there was no evidence of peripheral neuritis. However, the symptoms were sometimes enough to puzzle neurologists. Three patients with a combination of numbness, muscle spasms and double vision were diagnosed as having multiple sclerosis. This diagnosis, and all the symptoms, disappeared soon after the patients stopped their benzodiazepines.

Thus these sensory symptoms, though disconcerting, are usually nothing to worry about. Very occasionally, they may persist (see section on protracted symptoms). Meanwhile, the same measures suggested under muscle symptoms (above) can do much to alleviate them, and they usually disappear after withdrawal.

The tingling was the one symptom that sent me to the doctor's office because I wanted to be certain I didn't have some other underlying condition that needed treatment such as a Vitamin B12 deficiency.  I would think if your podiatrist had any concerns, though, he would have sent you off for labwork.

Hope this helps some.  You aren't alone in this one, and it does get better. 

Sunnyside

Jaxie

I have had some very wierd feet symptoms.  Today it felt like a truck was running over my feet and ankles but it passed.  A couple of months I had such pain in my feet I went to a podiatrist and an orthadepist both said nothing was wrong and make sure I wore good shoes.  It was just withdrawal.  Try not to stress, it will pass.

Golden

Thanks for the feedback. Glad I am not alone in this. Anyone have any actual swelling though? Thanks!

having this cold and hot feet/hand.

chill sensations on legs/arms.

it's been 9 months now. got these while taking benzo last year.

can't wait to get rid of this. (benzo free for 42 days.) :sick:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [in...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]
    • [Gr...]
    • [No...]
    • [hu...]
    • [ro...]
    • [...]
    • [fr...]