Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

MEMBERSHIP GROWING EXPONENTIALLY

[wo...]

If you go to the Home page and scroll down to the bottom, the Forum Stats are there.  Right now there are 10,248 members. :)

Well, not quite exponentially, but yes, membership numbers continue to accelerate. And, we have very high number of registrants who at least go on to introduce themselves (I think it is nearly 70%). If this month continues at the present rate, we will have around 450 new members for March alone.

By the way, we will soon hit the 1,000,000 post mark. I seem to recall a forum for forum owners defining large forums as 350,000 posts or more - we are at nearly three times that number.

WOW! Thats a really impressive number.

On the down side, isnt it a shame that MORE people find themselves in need of this place? You'd think by now the word would be getting out in the medical community. But...apparently not. I try to answer a few Introductions every day, and one after the other is from yet another person who was prescribed various benzos for years. Plus many other psych meds. It is staggering. The toll on human lives...I dont see how any rational person could read posts here and not be convinced that we are telling the truth. Wonder why more doctors dont visit here? Or do they?

eastcoast

• 2 years later...

i told to myself once there will be 21 000 members on BB ...

i will post my success story anyway :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That'll probably occur well before the end of the year at present growth! I'll hold you to posting your Success Story by that date. ;)

WOW! Thats a really impressive number.

On the down side, isnt it a shame that MORE people find themselves in need of this place? You'd think by now the word would be getting out in the medical community. But...apparently not. I try to answer a few Introductions every day, and one after the other is from yet another person who was prescribed various benzos for years. Plus many other psych meds. It is staggering. The toll on human lives...I dont see how any rational person could read posts here and not be convinced that we are telling the truth. Wonder why more doctors dont visit here? Or do they?

eastcoast

I kinda get the feeling that most docs- don't give a damn.

It could have to do with the fact of so many docs in the past 6 months or so refusing to prescribe benzos. I have a few acquaintances here that I've heard complaining about not being able to get their benzos...however, they aren't people who've really gone through things like us! it is indeed sad, however, I don't know what I'd do without this place  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

That'll probably occur well before the end of the year at present growth! I'll hold you to posting your Success Story by that date. ;)

:laugh::smitten:

if my husband won't sabotage it , I WILL DO IT :crazy:

• 4 months later...

Gilly, I think that there are lots of people who go away from BB and just never delete their accounts. I can think of many who have done that in the time I have been here.

I can click on their name and see when they were last active and it might have been like a year ago.

So, yes, be hopeful . . .

Colin, have you seen / soon it will be 20 000  ///

Probably within the next 24 hours it will pass the 20,000 figure.

But do people ever get better and no longer post or even look at BB but are still on the books? A hopeful thought....

The vast majority of members keep their account - but they all move on from being at active at BB at some stage. I looked at some old accounts recently and discovered that some of the earliest members have logged in within the past few years. Probably just nostalgia, catching up with an old friend (maybe they received a PM notification), or looking for an answer to a question. Who knows for sure. They don't usually post after such a long time though. Presumably, because the vast majority of them are well and enjoying life again. So, it is actually quite useful to retain the membership - you never know, you might like to pop back in for some reason down the line, and probably for something other than seeking support.

Colin, have you seen / soon it will be 20 000  ///

Probably within the next 24 hours it will pass the 20,000 figure.

I guess I misread the membership totals. I assume that the figures was actually just under 19,900 members at the time of my last post, and misread the figure as being just under 20,000 members. Well, we should hit 20,000 in about a week - maybe sooner.

Hey guys

I am new and I cant even convey how much this community has helped me in such short time. Its awesome to have the support of kindred spirits.

What is a bit scary is how many people are on these chemicals simply due to lack of knowledge of how dangerous they are.

Thank God for my new refuge in BB :)

Well, vasilisa - it looks like we just hit the 20,000 members mark! ;)

Colin,  :) it just dawned on me....considering how many people are struggling with

these magic meds.....20.000 is not much really...agreed ?

they say that miracles can happen on Christmas night

or maybe it will happen when BB will hit 21.000 member's mark///

time always flies when you are happy and stops when you are not ///

v

Wish we could somehow reach out to those who are just getting their benzo prescriptions, unaware what lies ahead for them some months/years down the road.

Wish we could somehow reach out to those who are just getting their benzo prescriptions, unaware what lies ahead for them some months/years down the road.

Agreed, its criminal when you think about it... :(

Well, vasilisa - it looks like we just hit the 20,000 members mark! ;)

Colin,  :) it just dawned on me....considering how many people are struggling with

these magic meds.....20.000 is not much really...agreed ?

Well, the reality is that the vast majority of those seeking help for any given subject actually join a forum. Most just just read. This has been discussed a many times at BB. There was one thread where a member tried making a series of (reasonable) assumptions and arrive at a total estimate of people experiencing lwith benzodiazepines, starting from the figure of number of members at BB. I'd struggle to find that thread now.

Here is a Wiki page which deals with just the numbers of people of actively participate at any interactive site compared with the number of those who simple visit and read (as non-members):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule_%28Internet_culture%29

Of course, this does not take into account all those who are suffering from such problems, and never visit BB at all (the vast majority, I'm sure).