Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Facebook Addiction

[Lu...]

My interest in this was to determine if Facebook is here to stay and when it was down in the high teens, I considered taking a risk as the stock would have to go up so others could recover their loses from the IPO.  It appears, young people don't care about their privacy and are "dummied" by this addiction. No different than Benzo Brain I guess. I did not buy into this. It goes against my beliefs.  It is not all about money. If only the net could be used for the common good. Do you know someone addicted to Facebook or other such platforms? 

The following numbers will help you get an idea of what Facebook addiction looks like:

• Approximately 50% of individuals between the ages of 18 and 34 check Facebook immediately after waking up. More than half of these individuals check their Facebook pages on their smartphones before getting out of bed.

• 48% of young Americans stated that they get their “news” through Facebook. Young people not only see Facebook as a place to interact with friends, but as a place to get legitimate information about current events.

Fahrenheit 451  The novel presents a future American society where books are outlawed and firemen burn any house that contains them

They don’t have to burn books or outlaw them, they are weaning them off books and knowledge.

• 11% of individuals age 25 and under (compared with 6% in older age cohorts) can be interrupted by a Facebook or Twitter message during sex, 22% of the same group can be interrupted by a message during a meeting (compared with 11% of older adults), 24% can be interrupted while going to the bathroom (compared with 12%), and 49% can be interrupted during a meal (compared with 27%).

• 48% of Facebook users update their status or check for notifications after going to bed.

• 18% of individuals age 25 and under cannot go “more than a couple of hours” without checking their Facebook page.

These and other Facebook addiction statistics, and the popularity of the website – which is used by slightly over 70% of the US population that use the Internet, representing only 30% of the worldwide population that uses Facebook – have caused psychologists to go beyond the idea of simple Internet addiction, and identify a new mental health disorder: “Facebook addiction Disorder”. The following video will help you understand why this has been defined as an addiction:

Why Are Facebook Addiction Statistics Rising?

Facebook appeals to a number of human characteristics that make it naturally addictive:

• It appeals to the voyeur in all of us, making it possible to access information about current friends and past lovers with the click of a button.

• Facebook feeds our egos – it makes us feel important to be able to post photos of ourselves and have other people comment on them or “like” them. In a culture obsessed with celebrity, Facebook brings out the wannabe-celebrity in all of us.

• Facebook acts as a mood booster, by making us feel more connected to others and less alone.

• Psychologist Abraham Maslow famously defined the hierarchy of human needs: physiological, security, social, esteem, and self-actualizing. Social needs, including needs for love, affection, and belonging, fulfilled traditionally via relationships with family, friends, and romantic partners, can now largely be fulfilled using Facebook. Esteem needs: gaining social recognition and feeling personal worth – are also fulfilled through Facebook. The satisfaction of these basic human needs is likely the most significant reason why so many people find Facebook addictive.

Sound like our world today.

Orwell and with 1984 was not far off.  Drones coming to a town near you.  Nor was Bradbury.

Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media
- Chomsky

• 1 year later...

I deleted my Facebook in 2011, after having it for four years or so.

Now when I go out and people say to me after meeting them "I'm gonna add you on Facebook" and I say "I don't have a Facebook..." they look at me like I'm crazy.

Probably because 95% of people my age have one, it seems weird as fuck to people that I don't.

same here, 5 years ago no fake book.....

and people are shocked when i tell them that i don't have it....hahahaha

welcome to the club....

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

i like to use facebook to stay in touch with relatives 1500 miles away so theyre not complete strangers in my life .

i dont know why i do this i guess because im nozy but i look at enemies facebook pages sometimes to see photos of them or read whats going on in their life  :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I rarely go on fb anymore. Looking at pictures of people having a great time while I'm suffering hurts, so avoiding it. Socializing online is stressful rather than therapeutic to me. Hearing a human voice on phone is more therapeutic. I sometimes use a standalone messenger if I need to have a word with an fb friend, no need to log in to fb on a browser and see pictures unless it is really important. I might change after I start to get back to work and socializing, but no fb until I'm out of the benzo trap.

On a different note I read a news that many people are moving more towards mobile instant messaging apps and drifting away from fb, they have accounts still but rarely log in. You might have some investment opportunities with that in the future Lunaticus ;).

How weird am I?  I've never been on facebook.

Might go in later today and see what's up.  Christmas shopping first, but no college football so I've got some time to kill.

;D

Seriously, I know zip about facebook.   

It wants an email addy.  Is this going to be displayed or available to anyone?

That sounds like a bad idea.    :laugh:

Throughout my recovery I always called Facebook "Healthy People Having Fun".

I hated it and just checked my alerts and got the heck out of there. 

Now I peek at it once and a while but anytime I see someone on vacation on there or exercising I click it right off. 

Those are my major stumbling blocks right now - travel and exercise - things I really miss about the old normal. 

I think FB is good if you go there to keep in touch with relatives and friends

from all over the world.

Once used continuously out of boredom it will become a problem , i believe. :)

i think its also good place to give a thrill to your haters,,,,, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm out of Facebook, my husbands papa got angry with me, because i refused to add him and i told on my public wall

that i wanna make love to one song :crazy:

no comments

I love facebook. It's one of the only ways I get to see my niece and nephew grow up since they are down in Florida.  It's a good reminder for my friends birthdays as well and keeping in touch, since we all live in different major cities now.

I had about 150 friends on facebook years ago, than I tightened that list up to about 18 people that I will actually see outside of a computer screen.

The conditioning of facebook is probably something younger generations have to deal with. For me growing up, I had to check the sports section in the newspaper, that was my morning rush.

Once I started coffee and cigarettes, that's my morning routine. Pop outta bed, slam some joe and go out on the deck for a cig.

It's all conditioning. I'm sure the reward center of all our brains are wired differently.

But to check facebook messages during sex ? Someone's not doing their job!

I love facebook. It's one of the only ways I get to see my niece and nephew grow up since they are down in Florida.  It's a good reminder for my friends birthdays as well and keeping in touch, since we all live in different major cities now.

I had about 150 friends on facebook years ago, than I tightened that list up to about 18 people that I will actually see outside of a computer screen.

The conditioning of facebook is probably something younger generations have to deal with. For me growing up, I had to check the sports section in the newspaper, that was my morning rush.

Once I started coffee and cigarettes, that's my morning routine. Pop outta bed, slam some joe and go out on the deck for a cig.

It's all conditioning. I'm sure the reward center of all our brains are wired differently.

But to check facebook messages during sex ? Someone's not doing their job!

names please

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: