Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone retaining fluid? Swollen ankles, etc.

[ea...]

For the last 2 weeks one of my legs and ankle were swollen. Two days ago, I began urinating quite a bit more and now, the swelling has gone. I also have lost 2 lbs. Is this possibly a withdrawal symptom? What on earth would cause it? I did a search and saw replies about it but most were quoting side effects while taking a benzo.

Thanking you in advance!!!!!

eastcoast

I have wondered about this myself!

I noticed this before during a previous taper, and then again during this taper, but have never been sure it's the benzo withdrawal or something else. My face and eyes and hands get a little swollen and then I seem to urinate more and it's gone. I have cardiac issues as well, so it's hard for me to know for sure what's causing mine...just about the point I consider calling my doc to ask about the swelling, it seems to get better. However, if it continues to happen or gets worse I think I would check with my doc.

I also THINK I may have read about this somewhere a while ago. I would be interested, too, to know if this is a documented benzo w/d symptom and also to know what the physiologic cause would be!

Im gl;addened to read someone else has wondered. I do not have any cardiac problems that I know of, except high BP and thats just since withdrawal and take Atenolol for it. That kind of med can sometimes cause fluid retention but usually not in just one limb!

Asking my doctor probably would not heklp, as he is unfamiliar with benzo wd reality. I would be packed off to a cardiologist, and I am willing to wait a while. The thought of presenting myself to a new doctor...well, I just cannot do it yet.

eastcoast

That's a very scary symptom woman. I think I has a lesser degree of it once. Mine retained in my stomach instead of my legs. It got better but it could come back. I hope you are feeling better. By the sound of that cleaning I would say your doing better. Lol.

Im hoping others will see this and reply. Hi, Maymay, are you ok?

I am not cleaning nearly as much. The urge is there but I actively fight it as its related to both anxiety and the "dreads" I always talk about.

Im upset I lost 2 lbs from the excess fluid! I was so proud I was re-gaining the weight I lost. Girl, I got down to 89 lbs during my acute withdrawal. But I will be okay about this.

eastcoast

Fluid retention, anyone??????

I've been drinking close to a gallon of water a day,and that has kept the water off my body,my ankles are skinny not holding onto water.google water as a natural dieretic.

Hey, eckhart...whatever works for you! I drink a normal amount of fluids....was just hanging on to it and not sure if its withdrawal related or not. Im disappointed we've only gotten a couple replies. I think its porbably more common than we know.

eastcoast

Hi guys

I have that now maybe  2 months , knees , encles , and abdominal water retention . I have 20 lbs watetr sitting on me .

Have blood test  today and everything is good . I am in 19 months now .

My New Dr , told me again today ,,,,is only in your head ..

I read on net , when you exercise you sweat extra water . If dont; water sitting on you .

I did exercise all maybe 17 months , ride bike , come  home soked . From Christmas i dont' exercise like before [ my animals very ill ] so  maybe  is something about that .

Also if person  have no enough water in body , body will start collect water for  worst time .

I have no idea why , never had water retention in life , ever . :smitten: Erika

ERIKA.....PARSILY DIDN'T WORK.  MY DR. GOES HERB HEALING ALSO AND IS LOOKING INTO SOMETHING ELSE FOR WATER RETENTION,  I WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED ON MY BLOG ABOUT WHAT DR HAS IN MIND. :smitten:

Hi Robbin

thank you .What help me little is drink lots of water and then pepernmint tea . But every day is the same ,  retention back again , even on my back , hips .

Once i dont' have that for 3 days , and finally felt like before .

But now back again.

Ok I will look for your post , when you know more . :smitten:

I had parsley juice , also cerely juice [ home ] , but nothing . little .

Hope you doing good Robbin , love and hugs  to you Erika :smitten:

Well, salt does make you retain excess fluid, but in younger people it doesnt normally do that and I do not know your age. If you are, say, over 50, then its probably smart to decrease your salt intake.  But - I wonder myself if food cravings are maybe a signal from our bodies that we need something.

The swelling in my leg went away. And I began peeing a lot more. I havent a clue what was going on but am glad its gone! It still amazes me that withdrawal can cause   actual physical stuff like this!

eastcoast

Ya gotta do whatever feels right for you!

For monthes, I craved sugar, and it did not hype me up, but lately, it has been and the craving is less. And Im eating less. I guess I think we have to trust our bodies/brains to somehow just know whats best...? Then again, that sure didnt work with me and benzos!!!

eastcoast

Hi missmoo,

Well. My weight is a problem. I had got down to 89 lbs during my cold turkey. I stayed around 90=91 lbs for monthes, but about 3 weeks ago, began gaining. I had gotten up to 1o1 lbs, which thrilled me, but then when the swelling went down and I was peeing more, Im back down to 98.5. Im more complicated than most people, as I had a gastric bypass in 2003. And the "pouch" (stomach) did not expand as expected. Its only 1 ounce big. I get full very quickly. And now, with the carb craving gone - well, I am trying but having troubles getting in enough food. But its ok, I believe this will turn around, when certain symptoms get better and Ibleiev they will!

eastcoast

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [mo...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Ki...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ta...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [bi...]
    • [Gr...]
    • [in...]