Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need really basic information on Tablets/IPads, etc

[ea...]

Im considering buying one of those tablet things or an Ipad thing. I am NOT computer literate, do not know all the terms, equipment, etc.

I need information on what these devices can or cant do, and what extra equipment would be needed...plus ideas on cost, brand names, how you get the service (if its required-)

What I want to be able to do is:

-email

-read books and other stuff

-listen to music or relxation stuff, etc

Your knowledge and experiences would be quite helpful. Just reply in simple english, please! BAD benzo brain going on.

eastcoast

I smiled when I saw it was you that gave me the first reply, reardon! Youre a good guy.

I want to be able to read both FREE books and paid ones. I looked at some stuff at Walmart and realized I will need at minimum a 10 inch screen, and a little larger would be best. I watched a man using an IPad, I guess the larger one...it seemed pretty ok. How much are they?? Approximately of course. And are there other brans that are similar???

The IPad is heavy for book reading? Hmm. I didnt pick that man's up, dont know. But the 7 inch tablets...no way could my eyes read that small screen. Also, I want to be able to type email replies easily..... That man told me you can buy a keyboard for the IPad...true???

And what about tablets? Can you explain the difference? I know one kind of small computer device, you need something called a wifi router or be in a building that has wifi. True? I do not want anything like that!

So with an IPad, its totally wireless, but you have to arrange service thru an internet providier??? And again, the devices with the same abilities as the IPad, what are some good names??? NO extra equipment???

Sorry. I am not even sure of some of the stuff you wrote to me! Very frustrating that I do not "get" computer stuff yet.

eastcoast

Hi ec,

I used to be in the software business, was married to a well-known software pioneer, but that was in the '80s and early '90s, before the internet caught on.

These small handheld devices we have today are designed mainly for people who want to use them "on-the-go," i.e. away from home.  If you are at home most of the time, like I am, they are not absolutely necessary.  I like to keep things as simple as possible, anyway.  So, I have a good laptop which I got for several hundred bucks, and my internet service is "bundled" with my phone and cable tv service.

Personally, I would not want to work with a small screen or keyboard.  So, I'm sticking with the combo I have.  I do have an ipod for music and a kindle which I never use, because I've found I prefer holding a book in my hands.

Megan

Reardon, et al,

I do ot know what is meant by "wifi." Please keep in mind I am like a toddler learning something totally new. Yes, I have an internet provider, mine is Comcast.

I would prefer to be able to email on the device I buy. I would definitly want the device to work outside my house. Ive been told that with "wifi devices" you can only use them in places that already have wifi, like in McDonalds. I want something much more flexible, so....knowing that, what do you folks recommend? Book reading (both free and paid), ability to surf the Net, email. And has to be big enough to type on easily. (I am a fast typist.)  Something fairly easy to use. Light enough to hold to read.

eastcoast

Maybe Im confused....But I do not want to be able to make phone calls on the device. I hate phone calls!

Reading, email, surf the web. Thats all.

Keep trying, reardon. You are a little too technical=talking for me but I am trying to understand.

eastcoast

If I take email off my wish list, does that change anything?

I can not possibly afford $600 plus. I am hoping to find something in the $200 and UNDER range. Not hoping - that is a real limit for me.

ec

Ok, reardon, so my wish list is beyond current technology, huh?

Are there any book-reading devices that do NOT need wifi???? Theres a specific reason I dont want wifi, not just the cost.

eastcoast

I will check that one out and thank you, reardon.

JUST top make sure this addled brain understands....

For $200 there is NO WAY to both read books and surf the internet?

eastcoast

Reardon, I went to that page and saw another one, that has "free 3-G"  and has a small keyboard. That sounds more like what Im looking for. Any thoughts on it?

ec

hey east coast,

i have a toshiba tablet. it does alot.

i didnt use it much until my Dell crashed.

we have brighthiouse im pretty sure its wireless. hubby went out and got a cablemodem.

i got a laptop but im still using tablet. lol

its wirelss so you will need wi fi to use it.

i can send enail and it has a vid cam, etc.

Why is this stuff so darn confusing!?!? My head is reeling. I attempted to "chat" with my server today about things moving slowly. Apparently the first spokesperson wasnt exactly adept at English and despite repeated requests to put thyings in simple terms, she kept throwing computer talk at me. I got so frustrated! She then just disappeared, very rudely. My second attempt was no better. I am left feeling totally frustrated, overwhelmed...I am quite aware that benzo brain is at work here, but when you tell someone "put it in simple terms" and they dont.................

And I am darn irritable today, too.

Thank you Reardon, for trying so hard to help me. I agree with what you say about the Kindle I "found."  The one you suggested does make more sense, and I saved it in my Favorites so I dont forget!

eastcoast

One more thing on my wish list - the device has to come "ready to use". I do not have anyone who is computer savvy to help me.  The first Kindle reardon suggested states its ready to use "out of the box."

eastcoast