Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Awful reality shows

[ec...]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wi...]

• [ec...]

• [Ji...]

• [me...]

I think most of the media content is garbage and degrades us as human beings, causing depression/anxiety/and all sorts of mental pain.  I'm off work now and click on the tube while having breakfast and can't believe the content.  I used to like to watch shows when I was young in the 70's when they weren't so offensive or emotionally upsetting.  I can't watch anything now while w/d'ing and it's frustrating.  I appreciate creativity in the arts, but this is downright trash, including most of the music.

We have 500 channels of crap. The answer to the routine evening question of "What's on?", is always the same, "Nothing". We watch movies mostly and old sitcoms. ie) Fawlty Towers etc.

Ive been watching the real housewives of 'whatever' Is just ridiculous.

being a Brit Im trying to imagine how America deals with these people! How do you grow up normal in this kind of world.

It's funny this topic appeared today...

Yesterday I called the cable company to see if I downsized our service we could eliminate some of the crap tv.  Before I called I did my homework and there were 16 reality shows on simultaneoulsy.  From Animal Hoarders to My 600 Pound Mother.  I could down size but those channels were also in the limited cable I was offered.  So...it seems you can't avoid it.

I too have been watching classic movies and old sit coms.  Then I DVR them so I can watch them again.  I have no interest in watching Honey Boo Boo eat with her hands or some poor 6 year old throw a baton around for the sake of her sicko mother.

Donna

Ive been watching the real housewives of 'whatever' Is just ridiculous.

being a Brit Im trying to imagine how America deals with these people! How do you grow up normal in this kind of world.

Please don't think these are in any way "typical" Americans.  They're not.

I don't know anyone remotely like these prople.  Much of it is scripted anyway, or at the very least they're told to be obnoxious and outragious as they can.  Honestly, I grew up in a large, ultra-liberal, and to put it mildly, eccentric West Coast city and have "seen it all," and the folks on these shows are totally alien to me.

Since i've been in recovery,I can only pretty much tolerate old movies,and sitcoms.I watch Andy grifith all of the time and some movies on TCM.

As far as i know  in America these shows are just over the top. This is not what us Americans are like. Yes they do encourage the people on these shows to be outrageous!  I was asked to be on a dating show once , but only if there was conflict.. I said no , becaue I wouldnt allow myself to be filmed and put out there no matter what .  I couldnt humiliate myself like they do.  HoneyM

I really like Hoarders, Intervention, Drugged and Addicted.  Also, I will admit that Jersey shore was entertaining.  The new one Buck Wild is stupid and I cannot watch that Honey Boo Boo.. It makes me mad.  I do like anything with Gordan Ramsey (Hells kitchen , Masterchef, and Kitchen Nightmares) are my favorites. 

Oh NO! Honey boo-boo! I find her - and her family - to be weirdly, disgustingly fascinating, sort of like watching a train wreck or an airplane crash. What is it with those people????

I only get the basic cable here about 20 channels, but I'm seriously considering getting an antenna put up outside and just get the 3 or 4 local channels that I can bring it, for urgent news basically.  None of this trash fits who I am as a person.  I appreciate decent content that uplifts my spirit and makes me a better person.  I can't even stand Dr. Phil, like he's doing so much good for a wide audience.  All his shows do is depress me.  I was sitting in my doctor's office and I told them to please change the channel, with all that drama.  The other girl in the waiting area agreed with me, we don't need this depressing content shoved down our throats.  I really appreciate the Lawrence Welk show, now.  And I always like That Girl, with Marlo Thomas, since she and her boyfriend knew how to respect each other on the show.

I only get the basic cable here about 20 channels, but I'm seriously considering getting an antenna put up outside and just get the 3 or 4 local channels that I can bring it, for urgent news basically.  None of this trash fits who I am as a person.  I appreciate decent content that uplifts my spirit and makes me a better person.  I can't even stand Dr. Phil, like he's doing so much good for a wide audience.  All his shows do is depress me.  I was sitting in my doctor's office and I told them to please change the channel, with all that drama.  The other girl in the waiting area agreed with me, we don't need this depressing content shoved down our throats.  I really appreciate the Lawrence Welk show, now.  And I always like That Girl, with Marlo Thomas, since she and her boyfriend knew how to respect each other on the show.

;)

I agree with you on Dr. Phil.  But Lawrence Welk? :D

TV is a big problem during withdrawal. Sometimes its been a lifesaver for me, to be able to get into something and forget the anxiety and thoughts for a while. Other times it makes it worse. Really have no way of knowing how my brain will react.

I think the hypersensitivity makes listening to music a really intense experience also. I cant listen to music with words in at the moment. just classical or lounge.