Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Benzo Buddies CULT ??

[db...]

eastcoast,

I do understand how upsetting the blogger can be. That's why he does it. If it didn't upset anyone he would give up. That's his soul motivation. He wants to upset members who he knows are fragile. This gives him all kinds of happiness. He wants members to doubt themselves while in this fragile state of mind. He wants to create fear but the truth is...he's a no one. He's an old man, lives alone, never leaves the house and sits in a basement (I'm sure) scouring the internet trying to upset folks. I think this pretty much sums up that he's "a nut with a blog".

I'm not minimizing how the upset he caused you, eastcoast. I'm just trying to put this into perspective.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ho...]

• [Je...]

• [ea...]

• [Co...]

Well okay, now I feel the need to jump back in here. I agree that this is one nut with a grudge and a lot of time on his hands. It doesn't warrant serious consideration on those grounds alone.

But: go to Google, type in benzobuddies and look at the search prompts. At least on my computer, the prompted words are, in exactly this order,

____ cult

____ forum

____ online

In other words this lone nut's blog is the first option prompted by Google when searching for our group. It's pretty easy to suss out why; search results are ranked in order of popularity and you can build (or pay for) software that "visits" your site like a thousand times a second. Combine that with the "location/frequency" aspect of search-ranking, which is how search engines rank results based on how often a word appears on the page (in this case, the term "benzobuddies" appears far more frequently on his page than on ours) and you've got a recipe for disaster: anyone searching for this page who wasn't directly invited here is gonna see his page first. Every time. That's a problem.

I don't know how Internet Law - if there even is such a thing - would work in a situation like this, but it seems to me like a straightforward case of dangerous slander. The First Amendment protects people who want to huff and puff and spit venom at things they don't like, and amen for that, so long as nobody gets hurt, but when it diverts people away from something that could potentially help or even save their lives...

Yeah, I don't know, maybe you're right. Maybe this isn't worth stressing over. It's just the fact that his blog is the top-ranked search result on the leading search engine in the world - you know? I mean maybe just a letter to Google, stating the case and asking for his blog to be flagged as a "hate website." They can and are willing to do that, apparently.

well done H,

You said this much better than me with my cog fog brain.

I worry that it would put people off from joining. not only is this sad because they need help and support but they are also potential helpers and supporters of us already here.

Im not saying that the support isnt good here but more people equals more responses and more experiences. sharing experiences is one of the main mechanisms of support so the more experiences the better the support. If we are loosing people because they think they might be joining a cult, we all lose out really.

I think.

Hi huraqan and JigglyJo,

You might like to consider that:

1) His claims are quite obviously those of a loon to 99.9% of people happening upon his blog;

2) He didn't prevent either of you from joining BB.

3) He's been doing this for the best part of two years to BB, and for a year or more before that to (the now defunct) BW.com.

His life has been an abject failure, and instead of blaming himself for this, he blames the world. I'm not saying that we should feel sorry for him, but maybe he deserves some pity - he must be miserable.

During the whole time of his activities, BB has continued to grow. All he does add more inward pointing links to BB (helping to promote BB with search engines). The reason for his key words popping up is because he has more links to BB than any other website - he is obsessed with BB (and me, it would seem, as it is quite clear he has read all my 20,000+ posts). Maybe be I should be flattered by his obsession rather than a little creeped out by it. ::) Na, it is creepy. :sick: But, very little of my time is spent on dealing with this, save an occasional post like this. I am, honestly, mostly just bored by him.

Hi huraqan and JigglyJo,

You might like to consider that:

1) His claims are quite obviously those a loon to 99.9% of people happening upon his blog;

2) He didn't prevent either of you from joining BB.

3) He's been doing this for the best part of two years to BB, and for a year or more before that to (the now defunct) BW.com. His life has been an abject failure, and instead of blaming himself for this, he blames the world. I'm not saying that we should feel sorry for him, but maybe he deserves some pity - he must be miserable.

During the whole time of his activities, BB has continued to grow. All he does add more inward pointing links to BB (helping to promote BB with search engines). The reason that his key words pop up is because he has more links to BB than any other website - he is obsessed with BB (and me, it would seem, as it is quite clear he has read all my 20,000+ posts). Maybe be I should be flattered by his obsession rather than a little creeped out by it. ::)Na, it is creepy. :sick: But, very little of my time is spent on dealing with this, save an occasional post like this. I am, honestly, mostly just bored by him.

Ooo...I vote for creepy!  ;D

Yes, very creepy. Really bizarre.

Hope - even tho he succeeded to scare me initially, it did not keep me from eventually finding my way to the "real" BB and becoming a very active member. So ultimately, he did not succeed with me. But what if he had? How many people HAS he prevented from getting the help they desperately need???

Ive had a couple people interested in BB, and when I give them instructions on how to find it, I have to be sure I tell them to Google "BenzoBuddies Community Forum", not just BenzoBuddies, as I know what that will bring up. My own sister, after a lot of wobbling, finally did try to check this site out and guess who she ran into first? My, you should read the emails that went back and forth between she and I. She did find the REAL BB, finally, read and was impressed...and then got spammed with all kinds of addiction junk mail. Now I wonder, did Mr Cesspool manage to do that? It most certainly was not because she was on BB!!!!

eastcoast

Hi eastcoast,

The best thing to do it to provide the web address, not just the name of the website. This way, you will be assured of others reaching our site.

I have very good reason to understand that very few people end up at the silly blog when seeking support. I will not describe why I believe this to be the case - but try to take my word for it. ;)

Edit: typo.

Hope - even tho he succeeded to scare me initially' date=' it did not keep me from eventually finding my way to the "real" BB and becoming a very active member. So ultimately, he did not succeed with me. But what if he had? How many people HAS he prevented from getting the help they desperately need??? [/quote']

eastcoast, I wish you wouldn't worry too much about this. As Colin has said, for the most part people who see the blog know it's a bunch of bat crap. There's not much we can do about those who may get taken in by it but I sincerely don't think there are many. As you said, you found your way here and hundreds of others have as well. When I was looking for a forum, I certainly saw his blog but dismissed it within seconds.

Dang it, Hope, I am NOT worrying so much about this! This thread caught my eye, I have been open and honest and extremely supportive of BB in every thing Ive said here. My annoyance at the creep is nothing for you to take personally. He did hurt me briefly but I got on with things. He did put a wedge between my sister and I, and THAT does bother me but I do not sit around thinking about this guy at all now. By joining in on this thread, I guess I hoped that what happened to me would warn others not to even consider visiting his stupid site.

Lighten up on me, will you? Lord knows I try so hard.

eastcoast

Hi eastcoast,

I honestly think you are reading something into Hope's post she did not intend and is not there. For what it is worth, I know Hope well, and do not detect the slightest hint that Hope took your comments "personally".

It is the nature of text, especially quick-fire text which typically occurs on forums for misunderstandings to develop.

Hi Colin,

How can that other website have an identical name to ours, ie. benzobuddies.org.? (Sorry, I don't really know the technical side).

Hi Colin,

How can that other website have an identical name to ours, ie. benzobuddies.org.? (Sorry, I don't really know the technical side).

Sorry, I don't follow. The blog website address is nothing like benzobuddies.org.

Sorry, Colin, but I think you have misunderstood me. As you say, the printed word can be misleading. I have private messaged Hope, as this does not belong here on a public thread. I remain, as always, a deep supporter of everything that BB does. Can we please drop the subject now? Thank you.

eastcoast

Sorry, Colin, but I think you have misunderstood me. As you say, the printed word can be misleading. I have private messaged Hope, as this does not belong here on a public thread. I remain, as always, a deep supporter of everything that BB does. Can we please drop the subject now? Thank you.

eastcoast

Oh, I see,....I think! ???

No worries.

eastcoast

Oh, I see,....I think! ???

No worries.

Actually, I don't believe Colin has misunderstood at all, eastcoast. His take on my message to you was exactly right. My comments were in no way personal to you. You read much more into them than was there. I did read your PM and have replied.

In a nut shell this guy is a lair and If I was BB I would sue him for liable.

Its that simple Get him off the internet he is damaging real people that need real help and this guy can torpedo someones recover

Just a thought

Hope, you are right, and I pm'd you back.

It is so true that we dont have non verbal cues online to "see" what the other person is saying. I apologize for being so sensitive.

A question for Hope and Colin:

By discussing this guy, are we somehow encouraging him to keep on with his insane little games? I do not want to do that. Does he somehow read posts here?

eastcoast

In a nut shell this guy is a lair and If I was BB I would sue him for liable.

Its that simple Get him off the internet he is damaging real people that need real help and this guy can torpedo someones recover

Just a thought

Hi dbeam,

There have been some who have looked into legal action against the blogger. This would be more of a civil case. Each individual would need to sue him. There is also the possibility of many members contacting the police in his area. Perhaps if members were to complain en masse (rather than one or two complaints), something might be done. You would need to contact Colin about this. He's much more up on all the legalities of all this. Perhaps he will comment on this thread.

Hope, you are right, and I pm'd you back.

It is so true that we dont have non verbal cues online to "see" what the other person is saying. I apologize for being so sensitive.

A question for Hope and Colin:

By discussing this guy, are we somehow encouraging him to keep on with his insane little games? I do not want to do that. Does he somehow read posts here?

eastcoast

This board is hidden from public view.  ;)

This guy is a nut and to be honest with you My gut tells me if you file a suite he probably will not show up out of fear and by default you will win

Something to think about

Dave

Meaning, he'd have to somehow "sneak" around to read here, right?

This takes me back to 1968, when we "radicals" were being watched by J Edgar Hoover. Such mind games, such deviousness. And just like everyone at BB, we were really such a harmless bunch of people.

All I can say is thank you to the admins at BB for diligently trying to protect us. You guys do a good job and it shows.

eastcoast

As if they can say anything to hurt me anymore!!  Come on.  The only agenda the naysayers have is to be cruel.  Their cruelty is providing them with some sense of purpose.  Maybe one of the bullies will find themselves on this side of the fence and pick up the trash they have been throwing.  That would be a cruel lesson for them.  Maybe the is one amongst us. I dont mean to emphasize the word us.

My simple thought turned into babble.  Plain and simple.  Someone had used a member's online name and poked fun of his concerned over some dietary questions he had with his doctor.  The heckler seems to feel the need to exploit peoples fears.  They must have time on their hands.