Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

In need of a Computer Buddie!

[ea...]

Being "over the hill", I am just starting to know how to use my computer. Get so frustrated when I cannot figure things out. I'm looking for fellow BBs who are comfortable using this machine and could guide me (in simple terms!) in using it.

Current questions:

How do I send someone a web site?

How do you "copy and paste?"

When the computer acts weird, like jumping around, or being very very slow, how do you know if its your computer or your server?????

Thank you!

eastcoast62

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ea...]

• [Fl...]

• [pa...]

• [me...]

Hello eastcoast,

I can answer these questions. There are many people far more literate with computers but these are simple.

You'll use copy paste to send a website link.

Highlight the link (probably in your browser window which is the bar that starts with www at the top of your screen.) once it's highlighted, right click and select "copy".

Then put your cursor in the body of any message your sending, right click and select "paste". That will insert the link.

I hope this helps!

Flip

Flip, I am so basic I dont know how to highlight.

eastcoast

Hello eastcoast,

I can answer these questions. There are many people far more literate with computers but these are simple.

You'll use copy paste to send a website link.

Highlight the link (probably in your browser window which is the bar that starts with www at the top of your screen.) once it's highlighted, right click and select "copy".

Then put your cursor in the body of any message your sending, right click and select "paste". That will insert the link.

I hope this helps!

Flip

OK, not a problem.  :) just put your cursor in the text you wish to select. Right click. You'll see several options. Among the options will be "Select" and "Select All". If you want everything, use select all. If you just want a part of it, use select. If you use select all, everything will turn a color. If you use just select, you'll get a highlighting color that moves with your cursor movement. Just move the mouse so that everything you want is highlighted.

The right click on the mouse yields many options. You can play with it a bit and soon you'll be a pro!

:thumbsup:

OK, not a problem.  :) just put your cursor in the text you wish to select. Right click. You'll see several options. Among the options will be "Select" and "Select All". If you want everything, use select all. If you just want a part of it, use select. If you use select all, everything will turn a color. If you use just select, you'll get a highlighting color that moves with your cursor movement. Just move the mouse so that everything you want is highlighted.

The right click on the mouse yields many options. You can play with it a bit and soon you'll be a pro!

:thumbsup:

Flip - I tried this. I do not have a "select" choice, just select all.

Ok. Hmm. Maybe that's just Apple which I now use exclusively.

Can you see how the color responds to the mouse movement? Just play with it a little, using the right mouse button until you get highlighted what you want. Then do the copy/paste.  :thumbsup:

Ok. Hmm. Maybe that's just Apple which I now use exclusively.

Can you see how the color responds to the mouse movement? Just play with it a little, using the right mouse button until you get highlighted what you want. Then do the copy/paste.  :thumbsup:

No, it all turns blue and doesnt respond to the mouse. And if I click ( R or L) it all turns back into B&W!    Oh no!!!!

No, it all turns blue and doesnt respond to the mouse. And if I click ( R or L) it all turns back into B&W!    Oh no!!!!

I copied the above text by putting the cursor on the first letter, the N, holding down the left mouse and moving the cursor. As I moved it, the text was highlighted. Then I moved the mouse off the text. It stayed highlighted. I right clicked and selected copy. Then I put the cursor in this box and selected paste. Try that. ;)

I copied the above text by putting the cursor on the first letter, the N, holding down the left mouse and moving the cursor. As I moved it, the text was highlighted. Then I moved the mouse off the text. It stayed highlighted. I right clicked and selected copy. Then I put the cursor in this box and selected paste. Try that. ;)

OK. Tried that. It did highlight just the words I chose, but when I moved off the words and R clicked, I again get "select all", and when I click that, the entire page highlights!!!!

This takes a certain touch. After it's highlighted, just remove you hand from the cursor altogether. It should stay highlighted. Then right click while the cursor is not on the highlighted portion. See what happens.

This takes a certain touch. After it's highlighted, just remove you hand from the cursor altogether. It should stay highlighted. Then right click while the cursor is not on the highlighted portion. See what happens.

OK, what happens is I still get "select all." I must not being doing it right. My computer isnt a new one, its - oh, I dont even know how old, I bought it used! Its an IBM.

I told you wrong. After its highlighted, put your cursor on the highlighted portion and right click. then you should see copy as an option.

I told you wrong. After its highlighted, put your cursor on the highlighted portion and right click. then you should see copy as an option.

NOPE.

No, wait. Yes, I got copy.

Flip, my brain is acting up on me! Please dont laugh but I have now forgotten why I am clicking on copy!!!!!!!! When I feel smarter, I will go back and re-read everything. A little overwhelmed now. I will try it again later, and will post other questions. You are a real sweetie, thank you.

Here's a youtube video on how to copy and paste.

There are lots of other videos on how to do all sorts of things on your computer.

It's easier to show you how to do some things than to describe the procedure in words, so videos are better.

Thank you redevan! I am still too hyper and foggy to try again today. I am in a window, but....a couple things upset my apple-cart and feel down and brain-dead right now. But thank you so much, both you and my friend Flip!!!!!!! Angels on earth and I will continue to ask questions, once the brain is working.

Hi eastcoast...  Welcome to the club... I'm the same.  I had a wonderful bbs, like you also, though they know how to do it, and it just made me a wreck trying to figure this out.  Then low and behold, it worked.  So, this comptr limited person will try to step you through it so simply... I ended up the same with you.  So here we go.

If you are reading this, you are on your thread (postr).  Look at the very left top of your screen.  Do you see the (http bar)?  Go up to it with your pointer (cursor), right click on it..  When you right click on it, you should see choices.  Do you see copy?  If yes, left click on that..  Then where ever you go on to the site... this link will follow you.  When you want to transfer that link... Just right click and bango it appears. 

The buddie who helped me.. was a gem... I had to go through this several times, put it into simple terms without getting stressed, and printed it out... Then it worked.  You'll get it..  I've been so embarrassed being such a comptr dummy... I'm older to.  But, guess what.. being on this site has really helped me learn, and the bbs have been great!

Hope this helps!

Pattylu

EASTCOAST....I'm a dummy too. Can I learn wiyh you?

Hi robbin p... Welcome to the club...  Glad to have others with me..  We'll get there together...  Welcome aboard! :laugh:

Hugs, Pattylu

Hi Robbin!!!!!

Of course you can hang out here! Flip has tried to explain some things to me. So far, they dont work for me, but he's on a newer, fancier machine than I. I am trying to learn how to cut and paste...basics! First, how can you use this? Second, step by step, how do you do it???

Also, want to know how to forward a website or a page to someone else. I can get the cursor to highlight things, but only get "select all" as choices, which apparently is different from Flips machine. I am so frustrated with this lack of knowledge, makes me feel pretty dumb. But have finally learned its better to just ask for help.

Flip has been great, and tried to walk me thru cut and paste and forwarding sites to someone else but its not working right on my old IBM. I want to learn!!! Need really, really basic, step by step instructions...ie do not assume I know anything about using a computer!