Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Dog and Puppy Lover's. Post and Share Pics Here!

[Sk...]

:thumbsup: love this thread! I am a dog trainer and it's one of the only things that keeps me going! Animals are the love of my life, my passion! If anyone has any questions about training please feel free to ask, I'd love to help!

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sk...]

• [Da...]

• [Ca...]

• [Fl...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HI LL

Quick question, how do I get NIna to drop the frees bee in the right place after she brings it back to me? Sometime she will only drop it after circling me.  Thanks Dd.

Hi DD!

I like to teach all dogs the "leave it" command. This comes in handy for many situations such as if you drop something you don't want the dog to eat/take from you, out on walks when you want the dog to not go near a dead animal they might be interested in, a pile of poop.or.in your.case dropping a ball or frissbee on command. First get a cookie or treat and cup in you hand letting the dog sniff it but not be able to take a bite. Keep repeating "leave it" to the dog. They don't yet understand the command but will with consistency. Once the dog stops sniffing the treat say yes and reward with a different treat, not the "leave it " treat.  Do this a few times and you'll see that your dog is starting to understand what u want it to do. The next after the dog understands what leave it means you can toss a cookie on the floor,  place your body in front of it and give the command. The dog might try and grab it so have your fancy foot work ready, lol! Once the dog offers up a sit or a down you'll know you've successfully taught the command. After that is when u can use it in real life situations of any kind. When you are playing with the dog call it over to you once it has retrieved the item then give the leave it command and she should drop the item ;) teaching a dog anything new takes patience and consistancy!!!! Keep working on it and in no time playing fetch should be alot easier! Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions,  good luck

Hi Lowlana

Thanks, I will give your instructions a go with Nina. Right now a little too hot to play F. so maybe in September, however I will try with other toys.

Glad that you found the site, I am sure thou will find everyone on here, always willing to give their take on this journey.  Good luck to you. David

Hi

Yesterday, whilst petting Nina I noticed she had a small roundish growth just above where the front right leg meets her trunk. We took her to the Vet this morning for an examinations, the vet said it probably was a fatty growth and maybe nothing to worry about but to come back in a couple of months, if it gets bigger he will do a biopsy. I just wonder is this type of growth common in dogs? With all the other dogs I have owned I have never had such a problem. Nina is very well, she eats and plays well (when it cools down) Would love to hear any comments. I am so emotional tied to Nina I would hate anything bad to happen to her.  Cheers  DavidC

Hi David,

Our dog Happy also had a lump in the very same spot that Nina does.  Our Vet. also said to just keep an eye on it and see if it changed.  Happy's started to have a slight discharge from a very small hole so the Vet. then removed it.  As it turns out is wasn't really anything bad... just a little cyst.  It healed well and he had no other problems with it.  I, too, wonder if these things are a little common in dogs. 

I hope that Nina's is just nothing, too.  She sure seems to be great dog!  Wishing her the best! 

Lily

Thanks Lily.

Nina is quite well, so hopefully the lump is nothing serious, I will wait a month then go back to the vet if it's gotten any larger.

Best

David

• 2 weeks later...

Well David, how would you look after being told you smell like deer poo!  lol

Our Happy used to roll in Cow manure until he was seriously scolded by for it.  He looked very much like that the last time he did it!  I hope that might be Nina's last time! 

Let us know how she and the lump are doing if she goes again to the Vet. later.  :thumbsup:

:smitten:

Lily

• 5 weeks later...

What beautiful pics of Nina!  Wow, David,.. She really must bring much joy to your life.

Welcome Lowlana, to the Dog and puppy lover's board.

-SZ- 

This is such a happy place! I have a lovely 5 year old black lab named Susanna. She has walked thousands of miles with me during this journey. She is quite spirited...naughty sometimes too! Yesterday some composting fish skeletons were the focus of a vigorous rolling session. That walk ended with a full bath.

So enjoy sweet Nina and the others here. Thank you all of sharing your beautiful friends.

Lowlana, any hints on barking? Susanna was raised in the country and would announce visitors or wild critters were approaching with barking. Now that we have moved to the city it is not a welcome behavior. She is well exercised and entertained and rarely left alone. when the postman or another dog walk by she goes nuts barking. We try distraction, firm NO, leashing her....still little improvement. She loves treats....perhaps food rewarding?

Love to all.

Carita

Hi DavidJC and Carita, thanks :)  She is spoiled rotten too.  She sits on the sofa and I sit on the floor, that kind of spoiled  :laugh:

I will give her a kiss from you both but first I have to figure out what fold of skin to kiss  lol :laugh:

Hi DavidJC and Carita,  She is spoiled rotten too.  She sits on the sofa and I sit on the floor, that kind of spoiled  :laugh:

I will give her a kiss from you both but first I have to figure out what fold of skin to kiss  lol :laugh:

:laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

We were eating dinner here at Fairmont hot Springs.

I just had to take a picture of these 2 retrievers. We were sitting at a table with the owners. The dogs never took their eyes off of them.

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u585/geddeca/647ECD3E-AC9B-43FA-9316-F377229DD333-24505-000022FBCD0039F5_zps3b17dd76.jpg

Carol