Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What movie should I rent tonight from Amazon?

[Pe...]

Can anybody suggest a really, really good movie that I can rent tonight from Amazon?

I'm very lonely and need something I can sink my teeth into. Something really engrossing.

Penny

"pack all your troubles in an old kit-bag

and smile, smile, smile...."

Hi Penny,

We recently rented "Trouble With The Curve"... Clint Eastwood.  We really enjoyed it, the story was good and the ending was up lifting and great.

Pattylu

(PS.  Did you ever figure out the odor you posted about in your house?  I was worried about a gas leak, but I'm no handywoman!!)

Hi pattylu,

Okay, I'll go take a look at the trailer! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

You know, today the laundry room does smell a bit like a gas leak. How sewer smell can turn into a gassy smell I'll never know. I just hope the house doesn't blow up while I'm sleeping tonight! lol

Happy New Year, patty! May 2013 bring many wonderful surprises your way  :balloon:

Penny

Hi pattylu,

Okay, I'll go take a look at the trailer! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

You know, today the laundry room does smell a bit like a gas leak. How sewer smell can turn into a gassy smell I'll never know. I just hope the house doesn't blow up while I'm sleeping tonight! lol

Happy New Year, patty! May 2013 bring many wonderful surprises your way  :balloon:

Penny

Hi Penny,  If you live in the States, call your local gas company, they come out free to inspect for a gas leak.  Just call and tell them you smell gas... its set for a priority.

Happy New Year to you also.  Yes, 2013 bring wonderful surprises to one and all... you too!!

I ended up renting "Safety Not Guaranteed" for some reason or another. I really like Indie films and the story line sounded promising (only if it was done right). Plus it had a little over 4 stars from reviewers so I thought I'd give it a try. Indies are always very "hit and miss", if you know what I mean. I guess I'm sort of picky because it was just so-so for me but Mark Duplass? Well, just looking at him made all the difference. *slurp!*  >:D

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I'll have to stick to regular TV tonight due to the holiday bills. I thought I'd treat myself last night though since it was new year's eve and all. We must give ourselves a boost once in while for going through all that we do, right?  :thumbsup:

Penny

ps - thanks again about the gas company tip. i can't believe i've lived this long and have never know that. doh!

"Safety Not Guaranteed" is high on my wish list and I'm waiting for the price to go down.  Sometimes, I'll buy used which is nearly as cheap as renting and less hassle.

Vribble, I'm looking forward to renting "Looper" when my family gets back. Have you seen it yet? I'm not a real sci-fi person but I do like time travel. My husband likes sci-fi but not so much the time travel type. So, it will be a good compromise for us both, I think. :)

Penny

Penny,

I haven't seen "Looper" although I do see a lot of sci-fi.  Thinking I would give up cable (I didn't), I went on a sci-fi spending spree last year - stuff like "Life on Mars" both UK and US versions.  I like P.K. Dick or Stanislaw Lem sort of sci-fi with time travel, artificial intelligence, and that sort of thing.  Not a fan of horror, fantasy, or anything with alien monsters.

I'll probably see "Looper" when it finds its way to Encore or Starz or wait until my daughter (another sci-fi collector) loans it to me.  I need to ease up on buying movies and watch less tv, get out more and all that good stuff.

Ibble

Ibble,

Your tastes are very similar to my husband's with the exception of one movie: "Alien". He loved that one. I don't really remember if I liked it much or not. All I remember is thinking how lame it was that she ended up running around in her underwear near the end in the most intense part of the movie. I thought to myself, "Figures".

We're the opposite of you. We don't have the "fancy" cable channels because we figure we save more money not subscribing to them because we rent so infrequently. Instead we waste our money on Netflix streaming which is pretty much a joke these days with the exception of catching up on some good HBO series that we've missed.

I hear you about getting out more often. I keep telling myself the same thing over and over and over again. But when I'm not feeling good physically and mentally it's so hard. Know what I mean?

Penny

Penny,

Part of the reason I subscribed to premium channels and amazon prime is that I had so much trouble getting out the door.  I'd almost feel queasy if I took a step off my porch.  I had to invent reasons to walk anywhere.  It wasn't agoraphobia so much as "what's the use" when I tried to venture very far.

I cancelled all the premium channels and now only have Encore and Starz which come by default with the basic digital package.  I'd actually pay more and have less if I dropped down to the next lowest form of tv cable life without the box.  Besides this way, for little more, I can add Kids channels and watch TCM, Sundance (I've seen a lot of indie films too) and out-of-the-way channels about yoga and fitness.

HBO was a joke because it's mostly soap operas ("True Blood" is just a soap opera with vampires) that a new subscriber has no way to catch up on when the earlier seasons aren't offerred in the lineup.  Cinemax, the adult channel, got old fast, and finally Showtime (also with the soap operas) displays a huge Showtime logo in the corner of the screen throughout the movie.  I couldn't take my eyes of it and had to cancel.

Amazon prime has lots of features I haven't explored because I'm not really set up to watch movies on my computer or link it to the tv.  I'm old school.  But prime has lots of free dvd rentals where I can preview DVD's.  I think they are trying to compete with Netflix.

Ibble,

I'd be old school too if it weren't for my husband. He has us wired up like you wouldn't believe. He knows how to do all that tech stuff because it was his life for so many years. His career. Ask me how anything works around this house and you'd be looking at a big question mark connected to the top of my neck where my head should be. ;)

We've had amazon prime since it started up. I couldn't see the benefit of it at the time because the cost per year seemed astronomical to me. But years later we have saved so much money that it's paid for itself time and time again. It's not me it's my husband. He's way more forward thinking than I am or will ever be. It took him forever to convince me to let him get me a kindle. And now I can't really read it anymore because of the cog fog I have most of the time. So that kind of back-fired on him.

I hear you about the cable packages. I'll have to take a closer look to see if we get Starz or Encore. We very well might and I don't even know it. Go figure. Maybe you just gave me a late xmas gift by letting me know that I have two extra channels? lol. Do you have comcast? I'm pretty sure that's what we have. We have amazon prime, Roku, TIVO, and a few other things that I'm probably not remembering all hooked up to the TV in our living room. We also have a TV in our bedroom upstairs but I don't think it has all the bells and whistles that our downstairs TV has. The TVs are mainly for me. The one upstairs for when I'm really sick and the one downstairs as a family TV. Yes, I love going outside myself and into the world of others. It makes me feel alive again. I'm not sure if that makes any sense but there it is.

As far as the HBO series goes, our TIVO records repeats and new episodes so if we find something we like the look of we can usually start from the first episode by recording past runs and catching up that way. Like "Breaking Bad", "Weeds", "The Sopranos", stuff like that. We do find ourselves stuck a lot with nothing to watch but then again they should make some quality flicks (they as in the entire movie/TV industry) every so often, you know. I feel so old when I say this but back in my day they at least tried to make decent movies instead of simply trying to make money like they do now. I don't know how old you are but if you're anywhere near my age then you'll know what I mean by that.

Oh, and as far as I can tell, the tables have turned. Netflix is now trying to keep up with Amazon rather than the other way around. Amazon prime has so many more movies available it's not even funny whereas before in Netflix' "day" they were light years ahead of Amazon. Strange how things in life move so quickly nowadays as opposed to when I was younger.

And I know what you mean about "what's the use". However, I did manage to go out front today to bring the trash bins in. Woot Woot! Brownie point for me!  :thumbsup:

Hope you're having a decent evening,

Penny