Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Severe swelling in legs and feet

[wo...]

I'm 6 mos. off and have just recently acquired severe swelling in my legs and feet.  Dr. has me on steroids.  Can the steroids be causing this?

I have had this off and on all through my taper.

So bad at times that I couldnt work.

Legs were so tight that I could hardly walk

Several tests done and no reason could be found.

So it is w/d for me

Hi Amber,

Thanks for posting this.  No, tests don't seem to show anything on this pain - no nerve damage with nerve conduction tests I've had, etc. 

I'm tapering and finding that with too much salt I will develop edema now immediately - swelling of the feet, ankles which increases pain even more so I eliminate salt for a time. 

My legs are SO TIGHT I CAN HARDLY WALK, esp now since I tapered last week 4%.  I TOTALLY RELATE!  Using a wheelchair more now.  Pain increased as did my food intolerances.  It's been a week and maybe I'm a tiny bit better or am I just acclimating to the new level of pain - can't tell.  Doesn't seem like it's ever taken this long after a taper to adjust.... Does the tightness just get worse with each taper??

You speak of this 'legs were so tight I could hardly walk" in the past tense.. definitely is w/d - so the tightness and pain has lessened for you???? 

Sonat

Woebegone

Until last month I had terrible swelling in my ankles and feet.  My feet were so puffed out at night I couldn't move my toes or walk.  I had the problem all summer. Then the weather changed and  I couldn't wear my sandals.  My feet looked like they were stuffed into my other shoes and I was getting blisters on my feet.  My doctor thought it was from the Neurontin so she wanted me to stop taking the drug.  I lowered my dose and only took it prn.  I went and spent 300 on two new pairs of shoes that I could get my fat feet into.  Then suddenly the swelling stopped and my feet are back to normal.  I also went and bought compression stockings and they help a lot.  They were expensive at $25 but worth it.  I still do not know if Neurontin was the cause of the swelling.  Get a pair of compression stockings and see if that helps.  Good luck. MLD

My mom had her feet swell up really bad and went to the ER.

Her gp never did anything about her malnutrition and low iron.

I found out that because her albumin was so low, she needed to supplement with 75 grams of protein per day.

I already knew she needed that much protein, but she wouldn't believe me.

However, she did it methodically after the Dr said to do it.

I had her drink whey protein concentrate from grass fed cows.

Her feet went to normal in just 4 days after the shakes.

If sodium is an issue, sometimes eating a banana can help.

Thinking back I cant remember if I had even started to taper when the swelling and tightness happened. I know I had it worse in one leg.

Could not wear shoes and lived in slippers or jandals.

It lasted for about 3 months and I now have broken veins where the skin had stretched so tight.

It just slowly went away on its own.

Now I get a bit of pain in my feet. that feels like they have been crushed when I walk

And swollen ankles toes and feet.

A lot of this is due to the hot weather too I think.

My feet swell too.

A couple of nights before Christmas I was in kitchen making candy and I got toe cramps so bad could hardly walk!!

I think I will totally eliminate salt from my diet.

Swelling has been one of my main withdrawal symptoms. I get it in my feet, hands and face. Most especially when I'm active and moving about. It can be alarming but it has been so consistent for me that I don't worry so much about it anymore. It always, always happens a few days after a cut and lasts for maybe 5 days or so (off and on depending on activity level) and then it disappears as fast as it started. Until the next cut. And then the cycle begins again.

• 5 months later...

I no longer have an ankle.  Its like my calf and ankle are all one.  I think they call them "cankles".  In the morning, I cant get my wedding ring off because me fingers are so swollen.  It has also been one of my main wd sxs.

GG

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [ro...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [Po...]
    • [fr...]
    • [El...]
    • [Gr...]
    • [...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [...]