Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Nasty question for smokers only. How long have you smoked?

[wo...]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [wo...]

• [Be...]

• [be...]

• [Pe...]

Hi Betsy, Congratulations on your stopping smoking.  I'm ashamed to say how long I've been smoking.  I started in high school when it was in fad to smoke (even your "A" students did it).  You were a nobody if you didn't smoke.  That was way, way long before they knew what cigarettes could do to you.  Needless to say, I was hooked.

I have been smoking for 50 yrs., have tried to quit numerous times, with no luck.  Well I'm going to quit now, but have a feeling it might be too late.  I was just informed by my Dr. that in a recent chest x-ray, they discovered a "nodule" on one of my lungs.  The way I understand nodules is that they are not all cancerous, meaning that they could have been caused by something else (which I'm praying for)  I hope it has something to do with benzo withdrawal, as I had a chest x-ray in May and apparently it wasn't there at that time.  Why is it that people who do things that are bad for their health always think that something bad will happen to the guy across the street or their next door neighbor, but not them?

Hi Betsy, Congratulations on your stopping smoking.  I'm ashamed to say how long I've been smoking.  I started in high school when it was in fad to smoke (even your "A" students did it).  You were a nobody if you didn't smoke.  That was way, way long before they knew what cigarettes could do to you.  Needless to say, I was hooked.

I have been smoking for 50 yrs., have tried to quit numerous times, with no luck. Well I'm going to quit now, but have a feeling it might be too late.  I was just informed by my Dr. that in a recent chest x-ray, they discovered a "nodule" on one of my lungs.  The way I understand nodules is that they are not all cancerous, meaning that they could have been caused by something else (which I'm praying for)  I hope it has something to do with benzo withdrawal, as I had a chest x-ray in May and apparently it wasn't there at that time.  Why is it that people who do things that are bad for their health always think that something bad will happen to the guy across the street or their next door neighbor, but not them?

Good for you, Woe. :clap:

It's never too late, ever!  From the day you quit the body begins the process of healing..... Just take some time to focus your mind and go for it.  I for one am right here to give you any support that you need.  Once I'd got my head round the idea of being a non smoker it became a mission that I wanted to complete.  I faltered a few times, but just got right back on the wagon immediately and finally I won. You can do this.... Good luck! Betsy xxxx

Betsy, You are such a dear ... always there for someone who needs you.  I think I'll start a blog on my withdrawal from cigarettes, or can you do that?  Because one of the BB team members moved this subject to off-topic, so I'm assuming that I can't post this on the private blogs.  Thank you for your encouragement.  It means more than you know.

Woe

Betsy, You are such a dear ... always there for someone who needs you.  I think I'll start a blog on my withdrawal from cigarettes, or can you do that?  Because one of the BB team members moved this subject to off-topic, so I'm assuming that I can't post this on the private blogs. Thank you for your encouragement.  It means more than you know.

Woe

You are so welcome, Woe,

I moved this thread from the Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal to here.  I sent you a PM.. :)

You can start a Buddie Blog, or you could start a Progress Log.  Just remember with the Progress Log only you can post to your thread whereas on the Buddy Blog members can chime in with support.

Good luck, Betsy xxxx

Betsy, I hate to keep bothering you but is there anyway I can move this whole topic to the Buddy Blogs?

It's no bother, woe,

I have responded to your ticket at the helpdesk :)

hi woebgone,

I'm sorry, I didn't see this thread until this morning.

I know what you mean about it being so cool to smoke when we were kids. And, you're right, it wasn't considered a death sentence back then. I'm sure the chemists in the tobacco companies knew that it was but they weren't about to tell us, were they?

I've smoked for 43 years. When I started tapering off the benzos over a year ago I wanted to stop smoking too. But my doctor said "NO!". He didn't want me to do both at once because he felt that was a recipe for disaster on both counts: tapering the benzos and quitting smoking.

So, I still smoke and won't try to quit until I'm off the benzos.

Did you hear anything back from your doctor about the nodule that they found? Are you okay? Have you tired to quit smoking yet? And don't worry, I won't judge. I'd be the last person that would do that!

Penny

Hey woe, I have a nodule too ( I'm a smoker). My nodule is 3 mm and solid so I had to have it followed by a cat scan one time a year for 3 years and it never grew. The decision of the radiologist was that it was from an old infection like bronchitis. I was told that 99% of nodules that are under 1 cm are benign. When they call it a nodule it's very tiny. I hope this helps. You can always recheck it for peace of mind.

Penny, thanks for not being judgemental.  My Dr. said the same thing, that he didn't want me trying to deal with both the post/protracted withdrawal and quiting cigarettes which surprised me because of the nodule they found on my lung.  What scares me is that I read that most nodules are non-malignant, but when you're 50 yrs. or older, the chances of it being malignant increase 50%.

I don't get the testing on the nodule until this coming Monday at a local hospital.  I don't know if they give you the results right away or if you have to wait on them.  I have another cancer scare.  I had a lesion on the back of my ear that was suspect cancer and had a very in-depth biopsy on that a week ago today and so far do not have the results back yet.  What scares me about the nodule is that it is in the same spot where I had breast cancer but yearly mammograms haven't discovered anything yet.  However, this nodule appears to be in the lung.  I'm a 8 yr. survivor of the breast cancer scare.

Hi Hjc, as I told Penny, I read where most nodules are benign, but if you are over 50 yrs. old, the odds that it's malignant increase 50%.  Also, I had a chest x-ray in May and nothing was said about a nodule at that time.  And, this recent chest x-ray I had, they did not say how big or small it was, so I have no idea if it was a small or big one.  I'm a nervous wreck ... trying not to think about it as it revs up my adrenaline surges, but it's hard not to worry.  Easier said than done.

Thanks so much for responding.  I'm so happy your nodule turned out the way it did.  I'll let you both know the results when I get them back.

Thanks again

Woe

Woe,

You sure have a lot on your plate right now. It frustrates me when the doctors make us wait so long for results. Not regular type results like cholesterol, etc., but for possible malignancies? Okay, I find no excuse for that. It can't possibly take them that long to do biopsies. Yes, please let us know when you get your results back for both the nodule and the lesion. I'm so sorry you're having to wait this out. That would revv anyone's symptoms up and, yes, it is so much easier said than done about trying to keep yourself from being a nervous wreck while you sit and wait day after day to hear of your fate!

I'm sorry that you had to deal with breast cancer but I'm very happy to see that you appear to have conquered it so far. My mother had breast cancer as well as my sister-in-law so I really do know why you're so frightened. Like you, though, they both survived and are still here and are still cancer free after their long battles with it. It's been many years now since their treatment ended and they're doing great. My mom is boobless but she doesn't give a rat's a**. "Who needs 'em?", she says. LOL! I love her attitude about it all.

Best wishes to you, Woe.

Penny

Penny, your mom sounds like a real trooper.  I laughed when you said that she said, "Who needs 'em"  She has a great outlook on life.

Thanks for your well wishes.

Woe

Hi there... I smoke!  I allow myself 10 cigs per day, smoke them half way... and I ENJOY IT... After going through benzo crap many years ago... and tried to quit so many times... thought, why beat myself up about this.  I've always been very respectfull to other, always was before smoking was a bad thing for all, and still am.  But I do enjoy my 10 few.. and I'm not going to quit.  After going through this benzo thing with my hubby for 23 months off today... never stopping.  So, I'm being very honest.  Hugs to you and thanks for the thread...

Hugs. Patty

Well Gang, I've just been informed by my Dr. that I have lung cancer and possible liver cancer.  Am going in the hospital this morning so won't be able to post to anyone.

REMEMBER, IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU IF YOU SMOKE, SO QUIT WHILE YOU'RE AHEAD.

Woe

Dear, dear woe :therethere:

I'm so sorry to learn this news..You will be in my thoughts this evening and I send you lots of hugs and support..

We are all here for you and will be waiting to hear your news when you can log in again..

You can do this......... stay strong my friend.

Many gentle hugs, Betsy xxxx

Hi woe,

I know you won't get this until you're back. I'm sorry to read about this. As Betsy has said, we're all here for you. I agree with her, I believe you can beat this.

I'll be thinking of you.

Hope1962

Hi Woe,

I am so terribly sorry about this news.  My heart breaks for you.  As other's have said, stay strong always.  You will be in my thoughts and know that we are here for you at any time. 

Hugs,

pianogirl

Oh, Woe, I don't know what to say. There are no words!  :'(  :'(

As all the others have said before me, try to stay positive and strong as it is so key to your chance of beating the cancer and to living a very long and happy life ahead. I will think of you often and send healing vibes your way as that is the only thing I know to do that might possibly help.

I am so sorry that the news was as devastating as this. So very, very sorry. I hope that the surgeons can get in there and get the nodule out easily and thorougly. My father-in-law had lung cancer. He had a huge tumor in his right lung. He waited way too long to go to the doctor about his rapid weight loss, fatigue, etc.. They performed surgery, removed the tumor, and gave him 3-9 months to live. That was over 20 years ago. And guess what? He's still here with us and happily living life among us all.

So, I am going to think positive thoughts in my mind for you every single day that you're absent from this board. Thoughts that you will make it through this because I've seen it happen and you've been through breast cancer and you beat that and so can you can beat this too!

For the time being, until we hear from you again, I will be counting on the possible liver cancer to have appeared to be only possible liver cancer yet ended up not existing at all.

So very many hugs to you, Woe. Until we meet again.....  :therethere::mybuddy:  :smitten:

Penny

Hello, Woebegone,

You probably won't see this today, but we are all pulling for you...will be here for you when you get out of the hospital.  Sending you hugs...and healing thoughts.  You are on my mind....

Sunnyside :hug:

Hi woe,

I'm just popping by to let you know that you are in my thoughts over there....I've lit my special candle for you this afternoon.

Many hugs,

Betsy xxxx

Dear Woe,

I am so sorry to hear this.  Please know you have all of us here behind you and thinking of you.  We will be here for support whenever you need it.

Sending love and many hugs,

Schatje